Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bay Area Autocross
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Mainly PCA.
I have some friends that were very active here in the Northeast...yet they told me they recieved a not so warm welcome at the event in SF and are looking elsewhere.

Is there a club near Santa Clara???

If so, would someone care to reach out to these guys...they are really nice...they ran the autocross here for many years and just need a nice group of people to join so they are not so homesick for our club.

They are also perpetual volunteers...alas Boxter owners.

Thanx in advance.

Rich
nebreitling
at which event did they recieve a luke-warm welcome?

although i've encountered some attitude here and there, i'll say that most of the PCA events around here are pretty welcoming, feature quite impressive competition at the larger events, and lots of seat time compared to an SCCA event. you can run 2-3 AX's per month if you don't mind driving around the bay a bit.

you can certainly give them my email....

n e b @ s t a n f o r d . e d u
r_towle
cool and thanx. I will send one a copy all of you.

Rich
Mueller
Golden Gate region PCA

tons of info, plenty of events......

meetings in Santa Clara (???)

DanT
I would be suprised by a not so cordial welcome. At most of the events in the bay area there are usually quite a large number of Boxster owners, like myself and at least 10-12 others that frequent the GGR, LPR and RR events.
Do you have any idea what event it was or what the circumstances were? unsure.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jul 25 2005, 07:41 PM)
i'll say that most of the PCA events around here are pretty welcoming, feature quite impressive competition...

i agree on both counts. but that means if you "just show up" when guys are trying to set their cars up to compete for points, they may be a bit too focused to be really gregarious and welcoming.

(i've found that few West Coast guys realise that only Zone 7 & 8 have Zone-wide yearly competition series...)
grantsfo
Yeah I agree with Nathan. It may have just been a circumstance where they drew a conclusion about a GGR event. I think in general all the events are pretty low key and welcoming. I think GGR can be big and somone might feel lost in the shuffle. If thats the case a Redwood Region or Loma Preita Region AX would be more personal. I'd be happy to hang out with them too if they are new to the area. I know Nathan offered his contact info, but here's mine too: grantsfo@earthlink.net I'd be ahappy to introduce them to some of the people I know etc at an LPR event or just hang out with them at GGR etc.

Oh yeah I'm a Boxster owner too so I can talk Boxster. "RMS" biggrin.gif
nebreitling
actually, it was the RW region zone event where i got the attitude. most places when you break down, you have a few guys offering to help. here, i had RWR officials telling me that they expected me to hurry up and get out of there PRONTO, so they could go drink wine. five pinky lifters watching me struggling to fix my tow vehicle, while they sat openly complaining to me and each other how i was holding then up. although i felt bad that my truck broke down and held them up, they made me feel quite unwelcome.

GGR can seem a little impersonal, but that's just the nature of the beast when you get so many drivers. it helps to already know people there, as the regulars can seem a little cliquish imho. LPR is always fun and friendly.
grantsfo
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jul 25 2005, 05:41 PM)
actually, it was the RW region zone event where i got the attitude. most places when you break down, you have a few guys offering to help. here, i had RWR officials telling me that they expected me to hurry up and get out of there PRONTO, so they could go drink wine. five pinky lifters watching me struggling to fix my tow vehicle, while they sat openly complaining to me and each other how i was holding then up. although i felt bad that my truck broke down and held them up, they made me feel quite unwelcome.

GGR can seem a little impersonal, but that's just the nature of the beast when you get so many drivers. it helps to already know people there, as the regulars can seem a little cliquish imho. LPR is always fun and friendly.

...Well you were holding up cocktail time what do you expect? I forgot about that element there. But they do have a Boxster remeber! Perfect car to keep the wine and cheese crowd happy.
Randal
Mainly PCA.
I have some friends that were very active here in the Northeast...yet they told me they recieved a not so warm welcome at the event in SF and are looking elsewhere.

Tell them to park next to the 914 crowd and just join in.

My e-mail address is: randal.barrick@intouchdigital.com

Trekkor
I've experienced the snubbing as well dry.gif

As you establish yourself in the rankings, it's pretty tough for them to ignore you. w00t.gif

There are always plenty of 914 guys around who will help, walk course, loan tools, etc with your buds...

trekkor@willstile.com

KT
Steve_7x
As others had suggested they should just introduce themselves.

There are so many venues and options in NorCal... GGR, LPR, Redwood, SVR etc... and each group has it's own personality, quircks and hospitality. If you look past the little things you will find a core of really nice and helpful people...

August and September will present lots opportunities to get to know some of us - with in Santa Rosa (Redwood Region), Marina (Zone for LPR and GGR) and Stockton (Zone Sac Valley and Yosemite). Your friends will find different styles, types of courses etc... Running the Zone series can be rewarding as it is competitve but typically a little more low key. Another benefit of these weekends is the 'benchracing' beerchug.gif (includes all the excuses you can think of biggrin.gif ) on Saturday evening - since they run autocrosses on both days of the weekend.

Steve
nocones
Getting that sort of treatment after experiencing a break down stinks.
Was that RWR event at the Sonoma County Airport by chance?

I have not raced with RWR for a few years now, but I am somewhat active with the 'other' sports car club in the area, Empire Sports Car Association.
The two groups use the Airport site currently.

If it was there I can offer this possible explanation...
The clubs have had to jump through major flaming hoops to have events here. Among the airports restrictions:

Only club members (who are driving) may be admitted to the site.
Strict noise limits.
And ... absolutely everyone has to be off site by 5:30pm (At least I think it's 5:30)

Any infringments of these or other regulations will result in being banned from use.

Trust me, if we could find another site in the N. Bay I'd be the first to abandon that one.

Hopefully the poor receptions were isolated incidents and won't keep anyone away.
Steve_7x
I believe your are right...

RWR starts their events later (10:00am) due to noise restrictions, and they have to be out of the site by 5 or 5:30 - that's why the zone events end at 4:00pm. I believe with that weekend we were pushing the 4:00 time limit (if I recall correctly).

Steve
Trekkor
(10:00am) due to noise restrictions

It's true. What cracks me up though, is that everytime I get there at 8:00am there is a constant stream of mammoth sea planes, vintage fighter planes and private jets...Sometimes large helicopters. dry.gif

Guess what? They are WAY louder than any of us.
I'm confused on that one. confused24.gif

KT
nocones
Tell me about it!

I have to laugh at the chuckleheads who bought houses around the airport, then complain about the noise!
Such is life. headbang.gif
EdwardBlume
LPR is a tame bunch. Ask for Cathy..... tell them Rob sent you...

On GGR, it's all good folks, but its run like a swiss watch. Newbies can get swept up pretty quick especially when they volunteer in the trailer....

A good rule of thumb is to buddy up with the 914 crowd... not a bad seed in the bunch (now that I'm gone).

but will I be back???

Ha ha ha

ConeDodger
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jul 25 2005, 05:53 PM)
Well you were holding up cocktail time what do you expect? I forgot about that element there. But they do have a Boxster remeber! Perfect car to keep the wine and cheese crowd happy.

Not sure if I should be offended... I own a Boxster... and a 914... and an MGB... and a 240Z. I don't hang with any "wine and cheese crowd". I show up early and take pictures of other peoples cars... I help when they break down. I think anyone who doesn't like the Boxster either can't afford one or their wife will not let them buy one. It certainly handles and no matter how Porsche chose to market it, it was a direct decendant of the 914. The marketing was Porsche's mistake not the Boxster owner. Give it a break. There aren't many 914 owners that would pass up a Boxster or a 911 if they could have them too. These are all fine cars.

I do recall Nathan getting "attitude" at a RWR event but not because of a truck breakdown. I think they wouldn't let him run because he missed part of a drivers meeting IIRC... Pretty chump, but Nathan was cool about it.

Tell your friends to try to make the SVR two day regional in September and we can make an effort to introduce them around... Tell them to see me or Steve. Preferably me as Steve has a lot of competition to get ready for and well.... I only drive a Boxster. wub.gif
Trekkor
said plane and jet dry.gif

user posted image
user posted image

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE (Rotten Robby @ Jul 26 2005, 08:51 PM)
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jul 25 2005, 05:53 PM)
Well you were holding up cocktail time what do you expect? I forgot about that element there.  But they do have a Boxster remeber!  Perfect car to keep the wine and cheese crowd happy.

Not sure if I should be offended... I own a Boxster... and a 914... and an MGB... and a 240Z. I don't hang with any "wine and cheese crowd". I show up early and take pictures of other peoples cars... I help when they break down. I think anyone who doesn't like the Boxster either can't afford one or their wife will not let them buy one. It certainly handles and no matter how Porsche chose to market it, it was a direct decendant of the 914. The marketing was Porsche's mistake not the Boxster owner. Give it a break. There aren't many 914 owners that would pass up a Boxster or a 911 if they could have them too. These are all fine cars.

I do recall Nathan getting "attitude" at a RWR event but not because of a truck breakdown. I think they wouldn't let him run because he missed part of a drivers meeting IIRC... Pretty chump, but Nathan was cool about it.

Tell your friends to try to make the SVR two day regional in September and we can make an effort to introduce them around... Tell them to see me or Steve. Preferably me as Steve has a lot of competition to get ready for and well.... I only drive a Boxster. wub.gif

...I own a Boxster and I'm a wine guy. biggrin.gif In fact just this past week I went to an incredible French wine and food pairing in the Boxster. Hence I am a classic wine and chese guy who likes 914's. ..I was just giving Nathan a hard time! laugh.gif
nebreitling
hell, i drive a 914 and i'm a wine guy! grant didn't mean to offend anyone but me, trust me...

and i didn't mean to sound resentful of RWR. i stand by my account of what happened, but it's no big deal, and i look foward to playing with them again. and, later on in the weekend, when my truck broke down again on the road (see a trend?), multiple people stopped and offered help. they were all 914 people! lol... but that's just chance...

my only point is that i'm actually NOT so surprised that someone might feel a less-than-cordial welcome at a local PCA AX.

p.s. yeah, on the second day of that event, i got there late (long story) and while i was prepping my car i missed part of the meeting. that was my fault. i got penalized for that -- which i was totally cool with. no big deal. there is an older guy there, walks with some difficulty. a helluva nice guy. because of his kindness, he actually singlehandedly changed my perception of that region beerchug.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jul 27 2005, 05:32 PM)
there is an older guy there, walks with some difficulty. a helluva nice guy. because of his kindness, he actually singlehandedly changed my perception of that region...

do you know if that'd be Jack Compere, by any chance?
when i knew him in the San Diego Region he has an aubergine Sportomatic 911.

if it's not - well - there are a lot of nice guys with that description :-)
nebreitling
don't know his name, hopefully someone will chime in.

he's the type of guy that makes you want to buy him a beer!
Trekkor
don't know his name, hopefully someone will chime in.

Dave Benson. His wife Lavonne runs registration.

He wears one driving shoe and steers with one hand in his red 928. clap.gif

user posted image

KT
Mueller
I think it's just bad timing or ????

I've had the 911 out at a GGR event and had meet a few nice folks......however when I took my 911 down to a Marina auto-x, the only other drivers that talked to me had been 914 owners I knew....
Randal
however when I took my 911 down to a Marina auto-x, the only other drivers that talked to me had been 914 owners I knew....

Maybe they (911 owners) are shy?
Trekkor
All I know is that if anybody wants to come run, just hook up with one of us.

We'll help you set your air pressure, walk the course, show you the line, stow your stuff, use our tools or ride along.

Have fun!!

KT
J P Stein
I may be a bit standoffish at PCA AXs. Getting the thing up & running is my job and that's where my consentration goes.
If someone has a problem...a real one, I'm the guy to talk at, but I don't have time to kibitz. When the first run group is off &running smoothly, I can think about running my self....if I don't have to instruct.

When it's my turn to play the focus goes there....I'm not much fun then either. biggrin.gif

When we got it all torn down....I'm pooped....not much fun then...there's a trend here, me thinks.

There are times when I think "I do this for fun, right?.
No wonder people burn out on this shit".....then someone accuses you of being unfriendly.....I have more fun at the SCCA cause all I have to worry about is me....unless I run shitty. Then I am unfit company.
headbang.gif
ConeDodger
Please pardon me. I am a car guy. I get email once in a while from guys I used to autocross with who searched my name and find me listed in PCA results. I like cars. There are few that I would not own if I had room and cash. I always find it odd that someone would criticize a car because of the type of guy driving it. I recently mentioned at work that I was thinking of buying my 15 year old a Miata for a first car. OMG!!! You would think that they had flipped all the Miatas on the planet over and found a vagina or checked the oil for the estrogen level. I tried to point out that one of the most popular spec racers in the country is the Miata series but no! I was going to ruin my son for life if I bought him this "girly" car. Remember don't hate the Honda, its the idiot who bolted on all the stupid bling that deserves your derision.

I think we should resolve though to seek out these guys and invite them and bring them in to our circle. How do we contact them? I will make them my personal project over the 10th and 11th of September weekend for the Zone events.

Rob
grantsfo
QUOTE (Rotten Robby @ Jul 27 2005, 07:17 PM)
You would think that they had flipped all the Miatas on the planet over and found a vagina or checked the oil for the estrogen level.

I knew it! I had long suspected Miatas had some piece of female anotomy on thier undersides. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.