Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heater lever wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dt4
Hi,
Could anyone tell me the colour of the wire that goes to the heater lever please
A photo would be great help
thanks
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
For the ground tab?
mepstein
smile.gif
dt4
Aaahh of course I should have figured that
what triggers the fan to run then, does the lever make a connection in the up position?
I dont recall there being an earth wire off the loom in that area, I'll re assess

thank you both
rhodyguy
When the nub on the lever arm bottom contacts the ground tab, the engine compartment fan kicks on.
IronHillRestorations
It's white with a green stripe. It activates the heater fan relay in the engine compartment via grounding.
dt4
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Aug 30 2021, 08:47 PM) *

It's white with a green stripe. It activates the heater fan relay in the engine compartment via grounding.

not a brown ground / earth wire then?
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(dt4 @ Aug 30 2021, 11:57 AM) *

No, because it triggers the fan relay, so it's not a common ground.

I was wrong on the color coding, it's green with a white stripe
dt4
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Aug 31 2021, 01:17 AM) *

thank you
dt4
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Aug 31 2021, 01:17 AM) *

found it, it had been cut back for some reason so I connected an additional length of wiring and a connector to it and attached it to the spade connector on the lever..... but nothing happened, the fan didnt kick in when the lever is pulled up
Im struggling to see how the lever makes a connection to be honest.
confused24.gif
iankarr
Check that the relay in the engine compartment is good and properly seated. As for the signal path, think of the lever as a ground interrupt.
IronHillRestorations
You can unplug the motor and test it by connecting to the battery. On the motor green is positive and brown is ground. I'm guessing you have a bad fan motor, or as Ian suggested a problem at the relay.

They used a relay that's triggered by grounding, so there's no power going to the switch on the heater lever.

If you're not sure how a relay works, check this out How a relay works
dt4
I checked the blower before fitting it so that parts ok
I need to check the relay, can anyone short cut me by pointing out which it is please

thank you

oh, and how do I check the relay

sorry for all the Q's
NARP74
Once again I am having a similar issue. Basically whatever is written about, I am working on. I started at the fan, only 2 wires, ground and power IIRC. I just used a powerprobe to trigger the fan and it works there, but not via the lever. So I am backtracking to find the culprit. Probably test the relay next.

Can you swap the 2 relays on the board for testing? I think they are the same.
iankarr
Easiest way to check relay is to pop off the covers next to the headlight motors and swap it in. If the motor works as usual, the relay is at least mostly functional. smile.gif
rhodyguy
I forget (and don't run an aux engine fan), does the key have to be turned to the first position to power the fan?
mepstein
I never ran an engine fan either. Plenty of heat, even in sub freezing weather.
rhodyguy
Yep.
dt4
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 31 2021, 08:53 PM) *

I never ran an engine fan either. Plenty of heat, even in sub freezing weather.

I am not likely to use it much either but if it’s there it might as well work plus I like to try and figure stuff
NARP74
I run it to try and dissipate engine heat. Not sure if it works that way though.
friethmiller
I've got the opposite problem of the Aux Motor being on non-stop once I connect the battery. Even unplugged the wire going to the heat lever and it keeps running. Is this an indicator of a malfunctioning relay?
NARP74
Must be shorted to ground somewhere after the lever.
friethmiller
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 1 2021, 10:59 AM) *

Must be shorted to ground somewhere after the lever.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking. Going to trace/inspect the wire through the tunnel up to the relay board in the engine bay.
dt4
turned out that the relay was kaput
I swapped with a headlight relay to prove the point then used a spare from my stock
heater blower now working well

thank you all for the help and advice beerchug.gif
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Sep 1 2021, 10:51 AM) *

I've got the opposite problem of the Aux Motor being on non-stop once I connect the battery. Even unplugged the wire going to the heat lever and it keeps running. Is this an indicator of a malfunctioning relay?

Same problem as well, I noticed however; if I put a little pressure on the lever to the left (not fwd or backwards) (sideways). Fan motor stopped. May be worn out spacer?....I have to take it out this weekend and take a look. See if it can just be cleaned.

QM
NARP74
QUOTE(dt4 @ Sep 1 2021, 12:28 PM) *

I swapped with a headlight relay to prove the point then used a spare from my stock

On to the next problem!
914_teener
QUOTE(dt4 @ Sep 1 2021, 11:28 AM) *

This is a switched ground. IIRC correctly the relay is the same for the fuel pump so......??? Car wasn't running.

Been a long time but I remember this circuit well as the trace on the board (regulator plate) was the problem I encountered. What a tracing testing nightmare that was.

Probably why I remember it.

Glad you got it working by just pulling the relay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.