Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking brake cable boots
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fixer34
I bought a set of front/rear rubber boots from 914Rubber for the parking brake cables. In my ignorance, I figured I could stretch them over the caliper clevis end. Not happening. So what is the trick to replacing them? Thought I needed to pull the cable out of the housing, but looking at a diagram, there are 'big' ends on both.
Am I just not stretching the boot enough?
914Sixer
There is NO TRICK. I have tried both 914Rubber and URO. The rubber compound must be too hard and does not NOT STRETCH. The only thing I forgot to try is boiling them to see what will happen. All I can say is you are not alone.
IronHillRestorations
I've used a pair of snap ring pliers to stretch rubber boots
JeffBowlsby
The last set I bought from Porsche were easy to put on. How about liberal amounts of lube? Try glycerine.
adolimpio
Silicone o-ring grease, muscle and patience.

I got mine from 914 Rubber and they were surprisingly strong. I stretched the crap out of them to get them on, and was sure they would tear, but they held up nicely.
fixer34
QUOTE(adolimpio @ Aug 31 2021, 07:24 PM) *

I got mine from 914 Rubber and they were surprisingly strong. I stretched the crap out of them to get them on, and was sure they would tear, but they held up nicely.

That's where I got them, so I'll give it another go sometime when I have a bit more of the third item...
bkrantz
QUOTE(adolimpio @ Aug 31 2021, 06:24 PM) *

Same for me.
fixer34
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Aug 31 2021, 09:02 PM) *

That's where I got them, so I'll give it another go sometime when I have a bit more of the third item...

These three did it. Wire brushed the clevis end to get all the crap off, lubed it and the boot up and with judicious stretching got them on.

Based on this, if Mikey ever needs a sideline, he should go into the condom business. Not sure about comfort, but they would certainly stretch to fit and no worries about failures. '914Rubber rubbers'- has a catchy sound to it...
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Sep 12 2021, 04:42 PM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Aug 31 2021, 09:02 PM) *

These three did it. Wire brushed the clevis end to get all the crap off, lubed it and the boot up and with judicious stretching got them on.

Based on this, if Mikey ever needs a sideline, he should go into the condom business. Not sure about comfort, but they would certainly stretch to fit and no worries about failures. '914Rubber rubbers'- has a catchy sound to it...

lol-2.gif agree.gif happy11.gif i did this yesterday and boy are they tight, yet somehow stretchy. got them on and look good! I was surprised that 914rubber does not carry the cables but got them from Sierra Madre, they are made in europe, and fit and work perfectly but dont come with the boot for the ends, so glad 914rubber and URO make these.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.