Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bidding war on BaT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-porsche-914-51/

Paul
Root_Werks
Interesting to watch the last bids roll in. Reminds me of how Ebay once was.

Really nice 914.
FRUNKenstein
I, for one, hope there are some other blue 914 buyers still out there . . .
Big Len
I had to pull off the road once it went past $40K.
Olympic 914
Nice...

The Olympic Blue is getting some Love..
63ratster
The Olympic Blue did help,as it screams classic '70's Porsche! But the excellent detailing overall and the lengthy service history is what did the trick, in my opinion. Congrats to both the buyer and seller on this one!
914_7T3
Seller is a friend of mine. This beautiful example is truly a survivor and will stay local in SoCal! The other one in Marathon Blue is not for sale! laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
StarBear
@Big_Len I’m going to have to up my insurance value again!
Big Len
QUOTE(StarBear @ Aug 30 2021, 10:20 PM) *

@Big_Len I’m going to have to up my insurance value again!

Absolutely Steve. I upped mine.
raynekat
Car went up about $30,000 on the last day.
That's how you do it!
sixnotfour
Nice 914 = RESPECT
bbrock
I don't know... a few weeks ago I got a wave from a 930 turbo and now this? The whole system is changing and I don't know who I am anymore.
wonkipop
beautiful car.

i remember being sh#tcanned for buying my 74 1.8 30 years ago.
never be worth anything! apparently.

914lover17
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 30 2021, 10:36 PM) *

I don't know... a few weeks ago I got a wave from a 930 turbo and now this? The whole system is changing and I don't know who I am anymore.

haha is that odd? I just got mine and my dad was driving it to an appointment the other day and said "This sporty new 911 drove up next to me and gave me a huge thumbs up" biggrin.gif
branston
Interestingly there's another Olympic Blue '74 on eBay for $68,900.........

930cabman
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 30 2021, 10:36 PM) *

It wasn't that long ago where the lowly 914 was below the bottom of the pile. What happened?? It's a frenzy
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 31 2021, 12:36 AM) *

@bbrock

Thats why you need the sticker that any good hot rod has . . . "Built Not Bought". That's who you are! Anyone can buy a 930 as a lifestyle statement. Very few can take a 914 from what you started with to what you now have.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 31 2021, 07:12 AM) *

Thats why you need the sticker that any good hot rod has . . . "Built Not Bought". That's who you are! Anyone can buy a 930 as a lifestyle statement. Very few can take a 914 from what you started with to what you now have.

Very true,

Many people ask me why I don't bring the Cayman to more of the local shows and Porsche events, when I'm driving the 914.

I usually respond with "I build the 914, I just bought the Cayman"
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Aug 31 2021, 06:35 AM) *

Many people ask me why I don't bring the Cayman to more of the local shows and Porsche events, when I'm driving the 914.

When I bring the 914 to Cars and Coffee, everybody comes over and has a question or comment.
When I bring the Cayman, only the other Porsche people want to have a conversation.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

meticulously cleaning your 914 is like petting man's best friend, it lowers the blood pressure
LefthandRev
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 30 2021, 06:25 PM) *

Seller is a friend of mine. This beautiful example is truly a survivor and will stay local in SoCal! The other one in Marathon Blue is not for sale! laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Whoa. That one on the right looks Ancona Blue. I had a '75 in Ancona, but either that's a converted bumper or a repaint. Amazing color.
Gatornapper
Hey, when I take the Cayman, even Porsche people ignore it! Even tho it's an S - being Meteor Grey hides it I think.

Everyone looks at the 914 - but I really like "I build the 914, just bought the Cayman." But rather than built, I've put over 400 hours of my own B, S & T's into it to get it where it is today - and still a long way to go.......a work-in-progress......

AND at the Richmond C&C, there's almost never another 914 there unless it's my friend Rick's sweet yellow '72....and we park 'em together that draws even more folk......

GN

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Aug 31 2021, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Aug 31 2021, 06:35 AM) *

When I bring the 914 to Cars and Coffee, everybody comes over and has a question or comment.
When I bring the Cayman, only the other Porsche people want to have a conversation.

bkrantz
Just remember what can happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania
wonkipop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 31 2021, 08:42 PM) *

Just remember what can happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

true.
happens esp to commodities which are "undervalued" or perceived to be undervalued.

bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 31 2021, 05:12 AM) *

@bbrock

The sticker would be a public assertion of superiority which doesn't fix the problem. The 914 lifestyle is happily living at the bottom of the pile while reveling in constant ridicule from the idiot masses too stupid to understand the awesomeness of these cars. Meanwhile you smugly, but silently know that you and your car ARE better than them and theirs. smile.gif
mmichalik

The sticker would be a public assertion of superiority which doesn't fix the problem. The 914 lifestyle is happily living at the bottom of the pile while reveling in constant ridicule from the idiot masses too stupid to understand the awesomeness of these cars. Meanwhile you smugly, but silently know that you and your car ARE better than them and theirs. smile.gif

I like that!
KELTY360
[The sticker would be a public assertion of superiority which doesn't fix the problem. The 914 lifestyle is happily living at the bottom of the pile while reveling in constant ridicule from the idiot masses too stupid to understand the awesomeness of these cars. Meanwhile you smugly, but silently know that you and your car ARE better than them and theirs. smile.gif
[/quote]

Now that’s the NARP ethic in a nutshell. Too bad it’s being torn down by johnie-come-latelies.
Tdskip
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 2 2021, 09:28 AM) *
The 914 lifestyle is happily living at the bottom of the pile while reveling in constant ridicule from the idiot masses too stupid to understand the awesomeness of these cars.

Maybe California is different but I have not encountered any snobbery related to bringing at 9:14 to an event in years.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 31 2021, 06:12 AM) *

Anyone can buy a 930 as a lifestyle statement. Very few can take a 914 from what you started with to what you now have.

My friend has a 930. That makes him a poser or less worthy of being in the Porsche community than we think we are?

Respectfully, and cooperatively, I’d suggest we need to keep open minds here to people having different interests and motivations.
KELTY360
Maybe we should not just dismiss the years of snobbery and discrimination outright. Just because some people haven't experienced the blatant dismissals of our cars doesn't mean it didn't happen or that we should instantly forget the ignorance and mistreatment.

NARPS Rule!
StarBear
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 2 2021, 10:28 AM) *

@bbrock

AND the enjoyment of that one-if-a-kind air cooled sound!
Jett
Is it possible that new and expensive performance cars can attract folks that like the prestige more than the engineering aspects of ownership, whereas older performance cars tend to be the other way around?

Perhaps the 930 owner today cares more about the engineering and therefore has more in common with a 914 owner?

When I drive our 914 we get waves from most owners of old Pcars and VWs, but rarely from a new 911 Turbo S driver. When we drive our 911 Turbo the Turbo S driver waves, but never anyone else sad.gif.

Not sure that the average new Turbo S owner knows what a 914 is smile.gif
930cabman
I am lucky enough to have both, plus several others. These days the Palma Green (with most of the paint faded to the primer) /4 914 is my favorite.

Hopefully next year a Marathon Blue /6 will be on the roads
wonkipop
from a 1989 english mag i had in a box.

Click to view attachment

was right about one thing - "there was still time to buy"! smile.gif
usa folks would have found remark about 914s being rare strange in 1989.
but always were in rhd countries.
Maltese Falcon
Always had major respect for the engineering that went into the 930. After its overall P1 win at LeMans in 1979 with the Kremer K3, I thought what a blast it would be to drive a street version. So an opportunity to own a '79 3.3L came to be !
I've used it several times in adverts, appearing here in the 1989 MSDS parts brochure, seen here in front of a friend's narrow body six conversion, at a relatives house. I still wrench on it today, real simple CIS, non-catalyst, non ecu, well engineered and blindingly quick. Never had a negative encounter with car enthusiasts of different makes.
Click to view attachment
nomedulla
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 2 2021, 10:28 AM) *

@bbrock

aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.