Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Prototype
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
Anyone have more info on this one?

"It is our pleasure to present this one-of-a-kind 1970 Porsche 914-6 prototype with coachwork by Heuliez."

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/1970-porsche-914-6-5/

SirAndy
- It's not a prototype, it's a design study by someone who was not affiliated with Porsche

- It's been posted here within the last week

- It's been posted before that numerous times

- No, it's still not a factory prototype

- Have i mentioned yet that it isn't a prototype?

poke.gif
73-914
Fuggly + French 2 strikes
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 31 2021, 05:26 PM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=328414

shades.gif

9146GUY
To answer the question....It sold the other day...159K

Two museums in a battle, one in California the other in Spain.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
that haunted museum of the morbid in las vegas should have purchased it to put next to james deans 550 transmission
Dustin
I thought Little Bastard was MIA. Like, nobody knows what happened to it.
KELTY360
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 31 2021, 05:26 PM) *

- It's not a prototype, it's a design study by someone who was not affiliated with Porsche

poke.gif

But, really, isn't it a factory prototype? poke.gif
AZBanks
QUOTE(Dustin @ Sep 1 2021, 12:26 PM) *

I thought Little Bastard was MIA. Like, nobody knows what happened to it.

The museum in vegas has the transmission and I have the rest. It's posted on the internet so it must be true. stirthepot.gif
mb911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 31 2021, 04:26 PM) *

poke.gif

Lol was thinking the same thing..
Quinn Moore
Yowsa

r_towle
The phrase “914 prototype” makes me twitch….

Like a really bad movie from long ago.
rmital
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 1 2021, 09:51 PM) *

@r_towle
if you're referring to what I think you are....not many going to know the reference....
funny stuff though flag.gif mostly the breakout plan happy11.gif
gms
QUOTE(rmital @ Sep 2 2021, 01:05 PM) *

@r_towle
if you're referring to what I think you are....not many going to know the reference....

av-943.gif
trojanhorsepower
QUOTE(rmital @ Sep 2 2021, 02:05 PM) *

@r_towle

Ha, I am old enough to have been here for that....
davep
The Murène was a design study by Heuliez.
The Tapiro was a design study by Girogetto Giurgiaro.
The Vizcaya was a design study by Hispano Alemán.
The XP978GT was a design study by GM design studio.
And there was a design study by Albrecht Graf Goertz.

None of these are Porsche prototypes; a prototype precedes the production model, and these design studies used a production chassis as a base.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 3 2021, 06:35 PM) *

None of these are Porsche prototypes; a prototype precedes the production model, and these design studies used a production chassis as a base.

Nailed it. These were all design studies.

Three were, in my opinion, interesting—and you nailed the top three in order of their success, IMHO (as bolded).Tapiro was fantastic, while the Vizcaya was also quite elegant.

With that said, the design of the team under Butzi Porsche only gets better with each passing year. At least, to these eyes.
wonkipop
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 3 2021, 08:26 PM) *

Three were, in my opinion, interesting—and you nailed the top three in order of their success, IMHO (as bolded).Tapiro was fantastic, while the Vizcaya was also quite elegant.

With that said, the design of the team under Butzi Porsche only gets better with each passing year. At least, to these eyes.

its just my opinion but butzi porsche had nothing to do with it?
its piech? sibling rivalry?
and guigiaro was on a fishing trip after big marlin, like lee marvin fishing off cairns.
the great barrier reef was in wolfsburg not stuttgart?

the rest of them don't count. design irrelevancies.
but g g is not in the same league as the other awfulness.

beerchug.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 3 2021, 08:26 PM) *

and guigiaro was on a fishing trip after big marlin, like lee marvin fishing off cairns.

beerchug.gif
Steve
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 31 2021, 03:00 PM) *

Anyone have more info on this one?

"It is our pleasure to present this one-of-a-kind 1970 Porsche 914-6 prototype with coachwork by Heuliez."

It looks like a cross between a pinto, gremlin and pacer, but still ugly. The Chalon and Rayco kits were much better looking and even those over time do not look as good as stock or the GT look.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Sep 4 2021, 12:57 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Butzi had as much to do with the 914's design as he did with the 901 and 904: He headed up the team of designers who did the car—much as Lapine did with the 924, 944, 928 or Lagaaij did with the 968, 993, 986, 996, CGT, E1 Cayenne, etc etc. Which is…a lot. They managed the projects, even if the Hatters and Larsons and Vargas did the work.

If you look at the 914 styling models, the license plates carry Butzi's initials, just as 901 models did. Klie, who did the original Fuchs wheel for the 911, is the primary designer of note on the 914 much as Mobius can be mainly credited for the 928 or Larson can mainly be credited for the 986 or 997.

So many book authors got it wrong with the 914, just as they did with the idea that Butzi designed the 901 or 904. He didn't draw the cars, but he did manage the projects—and he arguably created the department that allowed for their design. All indications are that the 901, 904, and 914 would never have happened under Komenda—an extremely gifted body designer but one stuck in the 1950s. Or 1940s.

FULLY with you on Guigiaro, but I don't hate the Vizcaya. The others are abysmal, and would be better preserved in photos only and restored as actual 914s. What all of them do, however, is illustrate just how far ahead of its time the 914's design was. The world just wasn't ready for it, much as I wasn't in 1990. Cue the "good car, but about that body" styling studies…and some from *heavy* hitters. Only in the last 10-20 years has the 914 started to look better and better and better to me. And while it may be sacrilege to say this, I prefer the appearance of a great 914 to most 904s. Not there yet with the SWB 911, which remains one of the greatest Porsche designs of them all to these eyes—right up there with the 908LH. Good from very angle, and I never tire of looking at a SWB 911 or 912 when they're presented well. Would love to own one someday.

But I'd rather drive a 914. piratenanner.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 5 2021, 08:02 AM) *

It looks like a cross between a pinto, gremlin and pacer, but still ugly.

LOL.

So of course still ugly!

QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 5 2021, 08:02 AM) *

The Chalon and Rayco kits were much better looking and even those over time do not look as good as stock or the GT look.

agree.gif
rgalla9146
It's a very bad design study.....plain ugly.
There's a nice Irish green 6 chassis under there...what a waste.

904 compared to a 906 ? no contest....906 is the winner
wonkipop
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 5 2021, 10:10 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Sep 4 2021, 12:57 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Butzi had as much to do with the 914's design as he did with the 901 and 904: He headed up the team of designers who did the car—much as Lapine did with the 924, 944, 928 or Lagaaij did with the 968, 993, 986, 996, CGT, E1 Cayenne, etc etc. Which is…a lot. They managed the projects, even if the Hatters and Larsons and Vargas did the work.

If you look at the 914 styling models, the license plates carry Butzi's initials, just as 901 models did. Klie, who did the original Fuchs wheel for the 911, is the primary designer of note on the 914 much as Mobius can be mainly credited for the 928 or Larson can mainly be credited for the 986 or 997.

So many book authors got it wrong with the 914, just as they did with the idea that Butzi designed the 901 or 904. He didn't draw the cars, but he did manage the projects—and he arguably created the department that allowed for their design. All indications are that the 901, 904, and 914 would never have happened under Komenda—an extremely gifted body designer but one stuck in the 1950s. Or 1940s.

FULLY with you on Guigiaro, but I don't hate the Vizcaya. The others are abysmal, and would be better preserved in photos only and restored as actual 914s. What all of them do, however, is illustrate just how far ahead of its time the 914's design was. The world just wasn't ready for it, much as I wasn't in 1990. Cue the "good car, but about that body" styling studies…and some from *heavy* hitters. Only in the last 10-20 years has the 914 started to look better and better and better to me. And while it may be sacrilege to say this, I prefer the appearance of a great 914 to most 904s. Not there yet with the SWB 911, which remains one of the greatest Porsche designs of them all to these eyes—right up there with the 908LH. Good from very angle, and I never tire of looking at a SWB 911 or 912 when they're presented well. Would love to own one someday.

But I'd rather drive a 914. piratenanner.gif

nah, he (butzi) had nothing to do with it (the version that was made).
i was around in the late 70s and 80s when he was scthum about it.
the whole 914 thing and who did it was a mystery.
no one would own up. no one would own it.
(piech was off doing audi quattros and working on his own post porsche life).
its all tangled up in the unravelling around the replacement to the beetle.

he(butzi) had a go at it early on and his version was awful. sorry. but truly awful.
if they had done his design i for one would never have been entranced or gone to the trouble i went to get one. dud. its there in the study models recently published.

its kind of known now how it came about. finally.

its taken a long time but its clear it was piech working around butzi and using h k to style it.

i've never wanted a 911 and finally i know why i thought like that.

piech's big contribution to the 911 was to tell them they were screwed in the head doing a wet sump. he is the guy who insisted on the dry sump. he was barely out of his teens i think when he made that contribution.

said with good humour because i am a design nobody.
i just know what i like and finally i got to find out why i know what i like. beerchug.gif

re the license plates on the study model cars.
all of them had his (butzi) initials.
even the study models of the vw beetle replacement.
its called flattering the ego of the boss' son?
i know, i've seen that sh%t first hand.
i know how piech must have felt.
and he was the cousin.

you should check out some of the things piech said about butzi porsche.
its hilarious.
beer3.gif

butzi porsche was fine when he was managing some kind of idea of an evolution.
ie how to evolve a 356 into a 911.
and he lots of help. along with lots of anquish about how to do it.
but 914s were not an evolution, they were a revolution?
and i think its clear from early design studies he did not have a handle on revolution.
thats what i think.

anyway, americans bought them, drove them and didn't care less. because they have common sense and know a good design when they see it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.