Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I killed a sway-bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Jetsetsurfshop
I thought I'd share these pics. I never believed that a sway-bar would break. Anyone else seen this before?
infraredcalvin
Wow, a tarrett as well!

Sent it to them see what they’ll do for you. I know they’ll sell you a bar only, you may want to up the size though…
Shivers
Wow, that is some hard charging
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Sep 1 2021, 09:34 PM) *

Wow, a tarrett as well!

Sent it to them see what they’ll do for you. I know they’ll sell you a bar only, you may want to up the size though…

Good info. I didn't know they would just send a bar. I'll have to hit them up. Still have to measure it but I think its their bigger one. I'm not really upset about it. It's been used hard at Sebring for 12 years. Still never expected a sway-bar to fail.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Shivers @ Sep 2 2021, 03:22 AM) *

Wow, that is some hard charging

I think the four-offs has taking their toll too. driving.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
More pics. biggrin.gif
jd74914
Curious what the bar ends that are in the arm look like.

I would expect it to break there given that is the reaction location for the bending load. Once you add the combined torsional load on you can really jack up the stresses in a Mohr's circle. You must have reached it's high cycle fatigue limit-wow.
stownsen914
That's impressive.

Sometimes it's hard to tell after the fact, but is there any obvious sign of damage that might have led to the fracture. Sometimes if you clean it up well and look closely at the failed part, you can tell where the crack started and look for a stress riser like scoring on the surface or some other damage.

Another thing I've noticed - I've set up a 911 and 914 with the through body front swaybar, and both of them had significant binding at triangular bushing mounts. Basically the vertical surfaces that the mount bolt to weren't parallel, so when mounted the bar really bound up to the point that I couldn't move it by hand at all. I had to put washers under two of the three triangular bushing mounts, on both sides of the car, to get them parallel.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Sep 2 2021, 07:53 AM) *

That's impressive.

Sometimes it's hard to tell after the fact, but is there any obvious sign of damage that might have led to the fracture. Sometimes if you clean it up well and look closely at the failed part, you can tell where the crack started and look for a stress riser like scoring on the surface or some other damage.

Another thing I've noticed - I've set up a 911 and 914 with the through body front swaybar, and both of them had significant binding at triangular bushing mounts. Basically the vertical surfaces that the mount bolt to weren't parallel, so when mounted the bar really bound up to the point that I couldn't move it by hand at all. I had to put washers under two of the three triangular bushing mounts, on both sides of the car, to get them parallel.

We had to washer up mine to get it to move smoothly. When I removed what was left of the bar it moved great. No binding what so ever.
I did find a video from a recent event where a dropped the passenger front wheel in turn one at Sebring. It was a pretty hard thud. Maybe I cracked it then?? The funny part if that I had a spin the next lap. I remember thinking that I wasn't really offline and the spin shouldn't have happened.
I'll work on the video tonight. Maybe we have a smoking gun.
stownsen914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 2 2021, 12:59 PM) *

Maybe we have a smoking gun.

Sounds like a candidate. It does make sense that it might crack / partially break at first, and then shear off a short time later. And oversteer in the interim!
914werke
Is it a hollow bar ?
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(914werke @ Sep 2 2021, 10:19 AM) *

Is it a hollow bar ?

It is a hollow bar.
sixnotfour
hollow hybred..or lessbred..True hollows are through hollow...I am sure you will get free replacement..lesser design..
stownsen914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 2 2021, 10:10 PM) *

True hollows are through hollow

Hadn't noticed that in the pics. I'd agree the fact that it broke at the interface of the hollow bar and the fabricated end, probably isn't a coincidence.

Is the square end welded to the hollow bar?
Jetsetsurfshop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Meh2OBiBY

You can see the wheel drop out of turn one at the 8:40 mark.
There is also a great spin at the 22:25 mark. I was P2 at this point. Before the race was done the Z-car broke. I could have finished P1!!!! hissyfit.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
Is the square end welded to the hollow bar?
[/quote]

stownsen914
I'd guess it failed at the weld (or right next to it).

Tarrett might be in pictures of the failure.
ChrisFoley
Obviously it had years of service at the mid to upper range of it's load capacity. Not much wonder it finally failed. Multiple potential failure points. I never did like that design. Splined hollow bars are the way to go.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Sep 5 2021, 06:23 AM) *

Obviously it had years of service at the mid to upper range of it's load capacity. Not much wonder it finally failed. Multiple potential failure points. I never did like that design. Splined hollow bars are the way to go.

Hey Chris,
What does the splined bars look like?
Shane
stownsen914
I put a Speedway Engineering bar on the front of my 914. They come in various diameters, wall thicknesses, and lengths to fit just about any car. I've been very happy with it. Not exactly a bolt on though.

http://1speedway.com/index.php?route=produ...ory&path=76
sixnotfour
https://www.jwemotorsports.com/suspension

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Sep 6 2021, 02:25 PM) *

I put a Speedway Engineering bar on the front of my 914. They come in various diameters, wall thicknesses, and lengths to fit just about any car. I've been very happy with it. Not exactly a bolt on though.

I've been offering a 914 front anti-sway bar kit for many years using Speedway Engineering bars and arms.
I'm down to a single 1" bar in stock. After that one is gone I'm done selling sway bar kits.
Justinp71
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 4 2021, 08:53 AM) *

There is also a great spin at the 22:25 mark. I was P2 at this point. Before the race was done the Z-car broke. I could have finished P1!!!! hissyfit.gif

Curious what do you have for a motor in your car?
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Sep 8 2021, 04:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 4 2021, 08:53 AM) *

Curious what do you have for a motor in your car?

Its a 4.
Heres what I can recall.
2258cc
10.5 compression ratio
Hoffman heads (Len hooked them up)
44 Webers
Performance webcam. (cant remember whats it specs were)
Tangerine Headers
Makes 160hp at 5800rpm.

The guy in the 350Z was newer to racing, but he should have really pulled away from me on the straights. confused24.gif
ThePaintedMan
Good to see you back on track, Shane. I'm jealous! Your driving has seriously improved over the years.

The sway bar is impressive. I bet Chris, as usual, hit the nail on the head. Think how much abuse that bar has seen at Sebring over the years, and with that drop-off in T1, it's probably what did it in. Wear and tear, I guess.
stownsen914
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Sep 8 2021, 01:37 PM) *

I've been offering a 914 front anti-sway bar kit for many years using Speedway Engineering bars and arms.
I'm down to a single 1" bar in stock. After that one is gone I'm done selling sway bar kits.

Sounds like a good option! (And probably sold by now)
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 10 2021, 10:57 AM) *

Good to see you back on track, Shane. I'm jealous! Your driving has seriously improved over the years.

The sway bar is impressive. I bet Chris, as usual, hit the nail on the head. Think how much abuse that bar has seen at Sebring over the years, and with that drop-off in T1, it's probably what did it in. Wear and tear, I guess.

Im sure this didn't help.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 1 2021, 07:22 PM) *

I thought I'd share these pics. I never believed that a sway-bar would break. Anyone else seen this before?

@Jetsetsurfshop

Any chance that bar had been removed an reinstalled with it flipped end for end?
I can see twisting it the oposite direction could cause failure.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 1 2021, 07:22 PM) *

@Jetsetsurfshop

Any chance that bar had been removed an reinstalled with it flipped end for end?
I can see twisting it the oposite direction could cause failure.
Charles Freeborn
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 11 2021, 05:39 AM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 10 2021, 10:57 AM) *

Im sure this didn't help.

Ouch. Lemme know if you need a roller to start over with.
sixnotfour
popcorn[1].gif Bruce Levens 962
Cracker
Years of use and abuse will take its toll - I would doubt it was from your on-track use - "shock" due to the offs likely led to the failure. It probably had hairline cracks and finally let go...

Race teams will routinely x-ray stressed components for imperfections and replace them on time/hours - much like aircraft. You say you've run this for 10+ years (I believe); if so, it was LONG overdue for replacement...
blabla914
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Sep 8 2021, 09:37 AM) *

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Sep 6 2021, 02:25 PM) *

How did I not know this?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.