Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parts in Canada
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stickyfingers
Hi all.

Wondering if any Canadians can guide me in the direction of getting specific parts for a '73 1.7L.

Looks like I may need to replace the front control arms (both sides) with the bushings - may as well do the front shocks - full suspension (front and rear).

I have a mechanic (my brother-in-law) and he's suggesting I get all the parts first and he can put them all in so I am trying to source them out locally rather than ship them from the states. Worst case I will but hoping someone can recommend (for a smooth street ride) which shocks I should go with?

I saw this kit at Autoatlanta and wondering if it will give me everything I need minus the control arms ofcourse:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Sto...-PN-BEK914.html

Any guidance would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
ask mike or peter at restoration design, they may be able to help you. We ship to canada all of the time if you get in a tight

QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Sep 2 2021, 11:58 AM) *

Hi all.

Wondering if any Canadians can guide me in the direction of getting specific parts for a '73 1.7L.

Looks like I may need to replace the front control arms (both sides) with the bushings - may as well do the front shocks - full suspension (front and rear).

I have a mechanic (my brother-in-law) and he's suggesting I get all the parts first and he can put them all in so I am trying to source them out locally rather than ship them from the states. Worst case I will but hoping someone can recommend (for a smooth street ride) which shocks I should go with?

I saw this kit at Autoatlanta and wondering if it will give me everything I need minus the control arms ofcourse:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Sto...-PN-BEK914.html

Any guidance would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

stickyfingers
Thank you for that. Spoke to Peter.

Appreciate that.
ddire333
if anyone knows, what's the tax / duty like for stuff from US coming into Canada...planning ahead for trip home next year and hoping it less then importing to Europe!
mihai914
Hi there,

There's Mike's 914s in Colborne, ON. that has a warehouse and a couple of truck trailers full of used parts.

PM me and I'll send you his phone number as he doesn't really advertise on the web.

He's a nice guy also, as all 914s guys are.

As for new parts, Mark Henry which is on this board has a Worldpac account, I don't know if he still offers to go through him for parts.

Otherwise, it's still more cost effective to go through all the popular US vendors even with shipping, duty and taxes. The key is to have everything shipped by USPS, all the other big shippers will ding you with brokerage fees which kills the deal.
stickyfingers
QUOTE(mihai914 @ Sep 3 2021, 08:30 AM) *

Hi there,

There's Mike's 914s in Colborne, ON. that has a warehouse and a couple of truck trailers full of used parts.

PM me and I'll send you his phone number as he doesn't really advertise on the web.

As for new parts, Mark Henry which is on this board has a Worldpac account, I don't know if he still offers to go through him for parts.

Otherwise, it's still more cost effective to go through all the popular US vendors even with shipping, duty and taxes. The key is to have everything shipped by USPS, all the other big shippers will ding you with brokerage fees which kills the deal.

That's great - very helpful.
MikeM
I've used several vendors over the years. Pelican, Elephant Racing, Bruce Stone is awesome for used parts, Auto Atlanta but shipping is painful, 914 Rubber etc.
I always ask for shipping via USPS.
Good luck!!
Mike
914lover17
QUOTE(ddire333 @ Sep 2 2021, 03:15 PM) *

if anyone knows, what's the tax / duty like for stuff from US coming into Canada...planning ahead for trip home next year and hoping it less then importing to Europe!

On an order from auto atlanta for about 800USD, I only had to pay the tax, no duty on car parts from USA. It was around 130 CDN.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mihai914 @ Sep 3 2021, 08:30 AM) *

Hi there,

Thanks.
Worldpac Canada is pretty useless for 914 parts, I'm the engine/transmission guy, engine and trans building and related parts sales. I can't offer much of a deal on shocks.
I'm an AA performance, Web Cam and LN Engineering dealer.
gord
QUOTE(ddire333 @ Sep 2 2021, 03:15 PM) *

If the country of manufacture is Canada, the US or Mexico then generally you will only have to pay the applicable GST/HST of the province you’re importing to. It gets a bit more complicated with parts that are manufactured elsewhere, as there will be duty levied in addition to the taxes. Goods manufactured in the EU won’t have duty if imported directly (i.e. under the CETA agreement), but will have duty if imported from outside the EU (e.g. via the US). Then you will need to pay for customs brokerage, unless you’re transporting it over the border yourself.

Gord
davep
I have a front & rear set of used Bilstein I could be persuaded to sell. Plus a lot of stuff from several parted out cars.
stickyfingers
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 3 2021, 07:40 PM) *

I have a front & rear set of used Bilstein I could be persuaded to sell. Plus a lot of stuff from several parted out cars.

Thanks everyone. Dave I might reach out to you in early Oct. Right now, I've been debating in my head on a few things. Getting the car looked over by Restoration Design at the end of September. Will let you know by early Oct what is needed so that I could do everything over the winter months.

Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.