Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Camshaft recommendations?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r3dplanet
Hey gang,

I'm in the market for a high quality camshaft for my carburretted 1911cc engine. The cam in the engine was a new unit from European Motorworks (the "E" grind) but it's garbage. The specs are way off and the base circle isn't round.

The car is a driver / weekend fun machine - not a racer. I'd like something that compliments the hi-rev nature of the engine but not lumpy at idle.

There are choices: web cam from Aircooled, SCAT, or a basic kit from LM Engineering. But I wouldn't know which grind to choose because I'm ignorant of cam geometry.

Halp?

Thanks!
mepstein
I would call Len at LN engineering.
rfinegan
The E grind looks tube a decent profile for carbs and daily /Street driving...Sorry it did not meet quality

Web cam 86:

.422/.422
273°/273°
234°/234°
N/A
N/A
00-152
$293.00
Good overall performance for carbureted mechanical mild track engines. RPM range 2500-5500. The perfect street cam! Requires New lifters required.

I had a mild scat in my 2.0 seemed to drive real nice c15 i think .413 lift or so
914Sixer
Elgin cams
930cabman
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 3 2021, 06:37 AM) *

Elgin cams

+1 with Elgin. Dema has somewhat written the book on camshaft design
mihai914
Hi,

Out of curiosity, did you try and sort things out with EMW, they have a good rep usually.

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Sep 2 2021, 06:17 PM) *

Hey gang,

I'm in the market for a high quality camshaft for my carburretted 1911cc engine. The cam in the engine was a new unit from European Motorworks (the "E" grind) but it's garbage. The specs are way off and the base circle isn't round.

The car is a driver / weekend fun machine - not a racer. I'd like something that compliments the hi-rev nature of the engine but not lumpy at idle.

There are choices: web cam from Aircooled, SCAT, or a basic kit from LM Engineering. But I wouldn't know which grind to choose because I'm ignorant of cam geometry.

Halp?

Thanks!

bbrock
FWIW, I'm very happy with the Elgin 6408 in my stock 2L engine with euro pistons and 40IDFs. Smooth idle in the 700-800 rpm range and pulls smoothly up to redline. Very good street manners.
Mark Henry
I've been waiting on web cam for ages, they have no new cam billets and I'm waiting on lifters. I might have to give Elgin a call.
r3dplanet
Kinda. My engine builder friend measured the cam and found the out-of-roundness on the base circle and the lift was .015" shorter than advertised. He called up EM and was told something along the lines that the tooling for their grinds was 30 years old, each cam can have wildly different specs, yadda yadda. I'm surprised because when I first inquired about the cam none of that was revealed. Of course.

That was is 2013 so it's way too late to do much about it now. I like Jorge just fine but this even does shake my confidence in EM.

QUOTE(mihai914 @ Sep 3 2021, 06:01 AM) *

Hi,

Out of curiosity, did you try and sort things out with EMW, they have a good rep usually.

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Sep 2 2021, 06:17 PM) *

Hey gang,

Halp?

Thanks!

r3dplanet
Thank you for the input, gentlemen.

I'm making a spreadsheet with cam specs for the Elgin 66508-19, LN Engineering 9590, Scat C35, and the apparently unobtanium Web Cam 86.

It's hard to decide on advertised specs alone so I'm grateful for user input from those who know.

Cheers!

930cabman
Elgin turned my stock cam around in a month, including a new gear and I am not sure if you will find anyone more knowledgeable on the subject than Dema
anderssj
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 3 2021, 09:00 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 3 2021, 06:37 AM) *

Elgin cams

+1 with Elgin. Dema has somewhat written the book on camshaft design

agree.gif

Elgin cam listed as "7008-4" in Performance Parts catalog back in 1981 (not sure how the number matches in their current numbering system). It's been great all-round, still happy after all these years. Would use the same one again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.