Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission jack link?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turtleman
I read somewhere in the 'Garage' about a jack from Sam's Club that was selling for about $109-$129 that a few members had found very suitable for engine removal.

I can not seem to find the link. My search function is not working correctly for some reason. Anyone have the link?

Thanks.

turtleman
Anyone remember this thread, I still can not find it?

I recall it was a silver colored jack with a large flat lifting pad suitable for supporting the engine and transmission and capable of being wheeled around without them tipping off it.

Please chime in if you know where I can find this thread!!!

Thanks.
watsonrx13
I have the motorcycle/ATV jack that I bought from PepBoys. It doesn't work.

The hydraulic ram gets in the way when you attempt to lower the engine/tranny. The only posting that successfully used this jack, they seperated the tranny and lowered it first, then the engine.

This shows the installation, but I used the same method to remove.
jr91472
that was Larry......

Larry's x-mas present

aveale
hey,

i have the jack you are talking about.

it is a red dude with a white table top.

Scissor/accordian action to raise it.

Not the most stable beast, but it does the job. Max weight of 500lbs (the engine and tranny weigh about 700lbs i think).

If you are not making a living out of removing engines, it does the job.

T
JmuRiz
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Jul 27 2005, 02:57 AM)
that was Larry......

Larry's x-mas present

I might have to borrow someone's SamsClub membership!
Just reading up on it, looks like a nice piece:
More Detail on Lift
lapuwali
QUOTE (aveale @ Jul 27 2005, 04:50 AM)
hey,

i have the jack you are talking about.

it is a red dude with a white table top.

Scissor/accordian action to raise it.

Not the most stable beast, but it does the job. Max weight of 500lbs (the engine and tranny weigh about 700lbs i think).

If you are not making a living out of removing engines, it does the job.

T

700lbs?! No. The Type IV weighs a bit under 300lbs, and the 901 weighs about 75lbs, so 400-ish lbs for the whole thing. Even a Chebby with a 901 would be under 700lbs.
736conver
I bought this for my 6 conversion
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail....rtnumber=C50660

It works excellent, its stable and moves very nicely. And you dont have to find the perfect spot for center. I did remove the steel upright bar on it though. One draw back is the car has to get lifted higher to remove engine. Its resting point is about 12 inches from the ground.
turtleman
JR91472:

That was the link I was looking for. It seemed to be well suited, hopefully Sam's still carry them. I plan to Google it and see where else they may be available for sale.

WalMart and Sam's tend to use there suppliers and then go to another competitor's product. Gotta get'em when they have'em!

Rob and Brian's jacks look ok too but I hesitate if it requires lifting the car too high.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Chip
Wild 6
The red and white tranny (scissor) tranny jack works great. It sells for $70 at Harbor Freight.
Harbor Freight Tranny Jack

Andy
turtleman
Did a Google search and Discount Mall is selling the same jack as Larry's for $129.
Their # is (281) 464-8515: This number is associated with Amjad Alhajas of 11415 Sagehollow Ln, Houston, TX

I obviously know nothing of this individual or company so someone from the Houston area might be able to check it out if someone were interested.

I found a nearly identical, but perhaps, slightly nicer jack at Sears.com. It is on sale for $149 and appears to be a little lighter and with a tad bit more lifting capacity and slightly different lifting range. It might have a slightly better warranty since it has theCraftsman label. I might buy this one.

Well see if my local Sears Hardware store has one in stock.

Need one for the weekend project-two engine drops.

morph
when i get the spare time this is the jack im building. wink.gif
Jeroen jack!
james
looks like a great idea
ChrisFoley
I sell this engine lift plate. It is derived from the factory part designed specifically for installing/removing the T4 and transmission together. It has a big pin on the bottom so it can attach to most floor jacks in place of the round plate they come with. I find it very stable and convenient to use. In fact I have my race engine sitting on mine right now. It gets the engine closer to the floor than nearly any other method.
user posted image
jr91472
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Jul 28 2005, 03:09 AM)
I sell this engine lift plate.

Chris, and how much would you be selling these for?

a pic of that race engine on it would be cool too. biggrin.gif

JR
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Jul 28 2005, 09:25 AM)
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Jul 28 2005, 03:09 AM)
I sell this engine lift plate.

Chris, and how much would you be selling these for?

a pic of that race engine on it would be cool too. biggrin.gif

JR

I put a price of $150 on my website but I think I could do them for closer to $100, especially if there was a group buy. smile.gif

The pin diameter of your floor jack might be different than mine. I would need that info.

I'll see about the race engine pic.
ChrisFoley
Here's a couple of pics of the jack plate with my race engine during a recent installation. The engine/transmission assembly balances very nicely.
ChrisFoley
closeup
rhodyguy
dumb?. what is the item on the front of the engine that looks like it is belt driven?

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Aug 3 2005, 07:24 AM)
dumb?. what is the item on the front of the engine that looks like it is belt driven?

k

tilton oil pump??
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Aug 3 2005, 10:36 AM)
tilton oil pump??

Yup! (not dumb on your part Kevin, it's highly unusual on a 914-4 engine)
I modified it to only have two stages and I scavenge both valve covers. It also pulls the crankcase pressure well below atmospheric.

BTW, with that engine plate I can easily, quickly and safely install/remove the engine by myself. No balancing act, and the engine drops close to the floor to clear the rear of the car.
jr91472
very cool, but my tuna can would not be very happy sad.gif

thanks for the pics
bperry
The one that Nathan mentioned is the one that I picked up at Sams.
It was only $75 back in Jan and recently they had it marked down
to $58.

It has dual lift runners with rubber treads that can be adjusted
for different widths. It looks like there should plenty of room to
avoid a tuna can as well.

I just did a check on the their web site and didn't see it.
Perhaps they are discontinuing it?
So if you want one, you may want to go to the actual store and
see if they still have any.

--- bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.