Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't get many opportunities like this!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Next
I bought my '73 2.0 in 2014 , shortly after Jim, the original, owner sold it after 41 years of ownership. The 2nd owner purchased it from him before selling to me just a few months later. If you've read about the history and my documentation of this survivor (see the link in my Signature line below), you know that Jim did some spectacular work keeping the car pristine! It's a $47k mile all original car and is truly pristine. I get asked constantly if I'm the one who did the restoration....except it hasn't been restored. Even more impressive is the fact that this is a Minnesota car. After I bought it Jim was gracious enough to exchange emails with me and answer all my questions. He even went through his old files.....42 years later....and discovered the original window sticker and cancelled checks that he didn't even realize he had any more. We have exchanged emails, pics and life updates a few times a year for the past 7 years. He's just a great guy.

Fast forward to the present......the car had been in Atlanta until recently, as we lived there until moving to Mexico a few years ago. The car sat in storage until I moved it to Door County Wisconsin a few months ago since we have family and property there. In a recent note I told Jim that the car was now back in Wisconsin. He kept it for many years in the garage at his cottage in Wisconsin; just over the border from his home in Minnesota. Over the years we have chatted about finding a way to get together. Well, Jim, his partner and son are going to make the five hour drive to Door County when we return for a visit in a few weeks! Will be so nice to meet him, chat about his history with that beautiful car, thank him profusely & figure out how the hell he kept the car so clean..... and just enjoy good company.

Gonna be buying Jim and family a nice dinner while they are there. I know he doesn't think anything of it but I owe him a world of gratitude.

Will take pics and post them if Jim and family are ok with it.

Steve

Click to view attachment
URY914
Very cool!
Maltese Falcon
Great story biggrin.gif
wonkipop
look forward to reading that.

a northern states summer car. they existed. you got one. incredible that it got all the way to 2014. there were still a few around in the late 80s that were just starting to get unloaded by their original owners back then. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.