Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MN 914 build, Metal roof, Brembo brakes, Subaru EJ20TT, receiver hitch...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Subaru
FS
I purchased this car in 2008 working on it off and on and around 2018 it was far from done but could be driven. Around Christmas time I jokingly asked my son to go with me to the 2020 Red Rocks Classic and to my surprise he said yes. From that point on it was a mad dash to get it ready and I worked on it all the way up until we left getting 3 hours of sleep the night before. I even installed some temporary carpet when we stop at Estes park for the night. 3,500 miles later I would have to say that was one of my all time favorite weeks of my life. The temporary carpet is still in the car with a few other loose ends to finish up.

The car is an amazing drive that zips around effortlessly.

Click to view attachment
Original fuchs wheels: 16 x 6 front 205/55R16 and 16 x 7 rear 225/50R16.
Calipers are Porsche 944 Turbo Brembo.
Rear brake rotors and E brake 911 and 911 center mount E-brake handle.
Front rotors are AP Racing 28mm x 328mm
Weltmeister adjustable front sway bar 19 mm diameter. Rear sway bar included but not installed.
944 CV joints, 911 stub shafts with T2 axles.
Transmission Subaru five speed with coupler and rear cover. Shift lever is Subaru with direct mechanical linkage rod.
Subaru twin turbo engine, Japan only, EJ 20 TT, completely stock(280hp)
The conversion utilizes all Subaru mounts including the top link eliminating vibration and noise.
Metal roof that stiffens and strengthens the chassis. Rear pinch welds on the B-pillar have been removed and fully TIG welded. The transition from the B pillar to the rear quarters is the shape you get after removing the trim and pinch weld.
The rear quarters are original metal that has been re-shaved for wider tires and to retain the narrow body look.
To save weight it has a fiberglass hood, trunk lid and rear bumper.
1-1/4 receiver hitch with cargo box mounts and cargo box included.
Originally a Texas car.
Paint is base clear to the original metalic silver color. Johnny’s Autobody in Wisconsin did the final bodywork and paint.

Picture of the fresh paint
Click to view attachment

This is what it looked like when I first got it home. The original car looks a lot better than it really was.
Click to view attachment

Typical truck rust repair and also the entire floor.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I was able to move the rotisserie in and out of the garage which was very handy for sandblasting. It was made entirely from stuff I purchased at an auction for about $40. The rotisserie is no more other that I still have the casters.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo Calipers
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Short Drive Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMiUI5mhW50

Walk around video next to a 944

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNIYW9a19X8

Cold Start Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXnhQcwF4Y

Shifter Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP73spLjl5I
Optimusglen
Very cool! Always nice to see MN based cars. That metal roof looks nice.
76-914
Hey Ross, why the respray? Looked good last time I saw it. Which one gets the 6 speed? Is the red one your son's 914? Hows the bus with the 30D running. Where in the Hell ya been? biggrin.gif Kent
JRust
Yep can't wait to see more pics. Wish you were coming to Red Rocks this next week
Luke M
Looks nice. Lets see more pics of the roof please..
Was it home made or from another car?

beerchug.gif
914Subaru
QUOTE(Luke M @ Sep 5 2021, 08:55 AM) *

beerchug.gif

I don’t have many pictures of the fabrication process for the roof. The center main portion is the rear deck lid turned 180°. I remember making a wood buck and forming a rib for the rear roll bar and used the Targa top as a guide to form the sections above the side windows. Also in the rear of the roll bar I tig welded the pinch weld and eliminated the trim. This first picture was not the final design, and the front edge was bent down to reduce warpage when welding. It doesn't look like it from the outside, but I gained a small amount of headroom.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Rear quarts were re-shaped for tire clearance.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Original fuchs wheels: 16 x 6 front 205/55R16 and 16 x 7 rear 225/50R16.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914Subaru
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 5 2021, 01:11 AM) *

Hey Ross, why the respray? Looked good last time I saw it. Which one gets the 6 speed? Is the red one your son's 914? Hows the bus with the 30D running. Where in the Hell ya been? biggrin.gif Kent

The picture of the red one is the day my son and I drove it home. This is the same one 12 years later after I over modified it and made it silver we drove it to RRC 2020.
The bus is almost done and is getting a 6 speed but due to time constraints, I am putting a 2.5 Subaru and not the EZ30D. That leaves a EZ30D and a 6speed conversion kit un-used.
All my toys have Subaru's in them.

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Roof looks nice!! Love the car!
mgp4591
Radiator over the engine or creating a vacuum for venting the engine compartment?
Very nice metalwork and finish!
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914Subaru @ Sep 5 2021, 11:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Sep 5 2021, 08:55 AM) *

beerchug.gif

I don’t have many pictures of the fabrication process for the roof. The center main portion is the rear deck lid turned 180°. I remember making a wood buck and forming a rib for the rear roll bar and used the Targa top as a guide to form the sections above the side windows. Also in the rear of the roll bar I tig welded the pinch weld and eliminated the trim. This first picture was not the final design, and the front edge of the trunk lid was bent down to reduce warpage when welding. It doesn't look like it from the outside, but I gained a small amount of headroom.

Beautiful job on the roof. Added smoothness too !
I've wanted to do that for so long.
No squeeks, fewer (?) leaks, quieter and more rigid.
Great work.
mb911
I think it looks really nice.
Krieger
Fantastic job on the roof!
914Subaru
I retained all the Subaru mounts including the upper mount. This setup works great, and any Subaru will easily bolt to this chassis including the EZ30D. With this setup there is no odd vibrations, is stable and its quiet. In the future to preserve these cars I would steer you to utilize the cradle that is more common these days, but I am pleased with how this functions.
When the floor was out everything was removed from the tunnel and the custom aluminum coolant lines run through the tunnel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Picture shows upper Subaru mount
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

To reduce weight all heat tubes in the 914 frame have been removed and the chassis holes have been welded shut.
Click to view attachment
Also to reduce weight it has light weight fiberglass hood and rear deck lid.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Aluminum coolant tubes run through tunnel.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Bottom View showering shifter linkage.
Click to view attachment

I made a couple 1.5 to 1.25 adapters for the forward hoses.
Click to view attachment

This is the water temperature filler tee I made.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
I was asked if the front end could be changed to a stock look. The answer is yes, everything in the front is bolted on. What you see that is black is .040" aluminum that is typically used for stock car bodies. Under the aluminum skin is a 1.75 x 063 tube bumper (seen on rotisserie picture) that the aluminum and radiator is attached to. I have collected a front body panel and bumper for the possibility to convert to stock.

Click to view attachment
914Subaru
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Sep 6 2021, 12:20 AM) *

Radiator over the engine or creating a vacuum for venting the engine compartment?
Very nice metalwork and finish!

Thanks.
The radiator is in the front. This engine has a turbo, the fan is for the intercooler. I will try to add some pictures of that.
914Subaru
I upgraded the CV joints to handle the 280hp. I used;
911 stub axles and flanges.
944 turbo CV joints.
914 Wheel bearing.
I am 99% sure the axles are from a VW bay window bus.
Custom made bearing spacer.
I made the Subaru to Porsche CV joint adapters. Now you can just buy them and that is what I recommend.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

944 Turbo Calipers (Brembo)
Front Rotors AP Racing 28mm x 328mm
Rear Rotors 911
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Future Project: The front brake setup will only accept 16x6 Fuchs, wheel spacers are required to space the wheel away from the caliper. To fit 16x7 Fuchs or 15x7 phone dialers the option I was considering was to build up another set of struts with Porsche 911 Carrera 84-89 rotors, Stomski Racing adapter, Boxster calipers 986.351.421.03 / 986.351.422.03 and 911 strut with 3.5 c/c caliper bolt spacing.
Click to view attachment
A future maybe brake project
Click to view attachment
At this point I would maybe go Safari with a set of Elephant Racing lifted struts.
Click to view attachment

Interior is a work in progress.
Click to view attachment

Aluminum fuel cell has been fitted with the Subaru in-tank fuel pump, fuel level sensors and vent valve with rollover check valve. A baffle was added to create a small chamber for the pump pickup. Subaru pump assemblies have a jet pump on the return line and that is used to pull fuel from the main area to the smaller baffled area of the pump so the pump doesn't get starved from fuel when the tank runs low.
Also shown in picture is the Subaru hydraulic clutch master cylinder and Subaru brake master cylinder.
Click to view attachment

Subaru STI hanging pedals, power brakes and hydraulic clutch all work flawless. Note the calipers are Porsche 944 turbo and that car has power brakes also so using power brakes with these calipers works well.
Click to view attachment
914Subaru
The Engine
Sequential Twin Turbo
275 HP
Redline 7,500 RPM
Engine code: EJ208DWBKE
Transmission TY754VBAAA 1st3.166 2nd1.882 3rd1.296 4th0.972 5th0.738 F.D.4.444
Doner car model BH5B5CD

Drivability;
Amazing torque at low RMP's and you can hear the little turbo making boost below 2000RPM. Plenty of power for normal driving including passing cars on a 2 lane road. A dip in power at 4000rpm then the beast is released and you're in race mode. Once you're in the second turbo it stays in that mode I think down to 3K rpm so once you're in the second turbo it will stay in. It's an interesting and amazing drive that requires judgement and control from the driver to make it shine and not an electric car that does everything for you. I see it as 2 modes, normal and race and they are very separate because of the dip for the second turbo to spool up.

This engine being a JDM is not compatible with most OBD2 code readers even though it is an OBD plug. Subaru SSM (Subaru Select Monitor) works. I use the cable and software from obdii365.com SUBARU FreeSSM V1.2.5 that works with a laptop.

Check Engine Light Codes (CEL)
With ignition OFF plug the black plug together. Turn the ignition ON and identify how many times the check engine light flashes (if any). This will be the error code stored in the ECU memory. Turn ignition OFF and unplug the connectors.
ECU light flashes to indicate the error code, the slow flashes which come first are the tens digits. The fast flashes that come second are the single digits. For example, an error code of 13 will be one slow flash and 3 quick flashes straight after the first flash, then there will be a short break and it will flash the sequence again.
11 Crank angle sensor, Open or Short
12 Starter switch, Open or Short
13 Cam angle sensor, Open or Short
21 Water temperature sensor, Open or Short
22 Knock sensor, Open or Short
23 Air flow sensor, Open or Short
24 ISC valve, Open or Short
31Throttle position sensor, Open or Short
32 O2 sensor, Open or Short
33 Speed sensor, Open or Short
38 AT torque down request, Open or Short
44 Supercharging oppression output, Open or Short
45 Atmospheric pressure sensor/ Absolute pressure change solenoid,Open or Short
61 Inhalation valve solenoid, Open or Short
62 Exhaust valve solenoid (vacuum), Open or Short
63 Supercharging pressure relief valve solenoid, Open or Short
64 Secondary waste gate solenoid, Open or Short
65 Differential pressure sensor, Open or Short
66 Sequential turbo system, No rise in pressure or pressure excessive (Over boost)
67 Exhaust valve solenoid (positive pressure), Open or Short
68 Exhaust valve duty solenoid, Open or Short

ECU Reset without a scan tool
With ignition OFF, locate the 2 black ECU check connectors and the 2 green ECU reset connectors. There will be one female and one male of each color (Black & Green).
Connect the black connectors together, and connect the green connectors together.
Start the vehicle and drive until the check engine light starts flashing. ENSURE THE VEHICLE SPEED REMAINS ABOVE 11 Km/h (7mph). Then bring vehicle to a stop when it is safe to do so. Stop engine and turn ignition OFF.
Disconnect the two black and two green connectors.
I have found twin turbo information and trouble shooting advise on subyclub.com
Click to view attachment

Compression Ratio 9:1 (US WRX is 8:1)
This is possible partly because of the forged, molybdenum coated pistons
Click to view attachment

The small turbo is always making boost. This is the smallest turbo I have ever seen.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This picture shows the engine and transmission from Japan as I received it. Everything was very clean and ports were carefully blocked off.
Click to view attachment
This picture shows wire harness and parts that showed up in great condition also.
Click to view attachment

Primary Turbo only
Click to view attachment
This diagram shows both turbos active.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

From a JDM AWD Subaru Liberty B4. This is a right hand drive car only, it will not fit in a LH drive car because the brake booster interferes with the added primary turbo.
In wagon form The 1998 Subaru 2.0 twin turbo set a world speed record for a mass-produced turbocharged station wagon (1600cc-2000cc class) clocking 168.101mpg.

Click to view attachment

Notice the muffler, this is only on the primary turbo pipe, the secondary is a straight pipe. The turbos and cats take some of the sound out. With the single muffler on only the primary makes it quiet to drive around town and on the highway. Not having a muffler on the secondary makes it obvious when its on line making boost and it sounds good. Best of both worlds a nice quiet cruiser and a loud obnoxious fast car.
Click to view attachment

On 4 cylinder Subaru engines this belt will eliminate the AC and power steering pump.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I am using the 5 speed split case transmission that came with the engine with the Bremar cover and locking collar.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Have to tell you guys Ross' car is F-A-S-T! He is a brainiac! Glad your posting this car! His dune buggy was awesome too.
914Subaru
The Yakima Cargo box. For the voyage from MN to CO for RRC2020 we planned to camp and stay in KOA cabins along the way. I lost some cargo area because of the Subaru conversion and this is what I came up with to transport sleeping bags, tent and camping gear and spare tire. The spare tire is from a Boxster. Almost totally un noticeable from inside of the car and no issues at any speed.

Pikes Peak
Click to view attachment

1UP USA bike rack that attaches to the receiver hitch.
Click to view attachment

South Dakota KOA Cabin
Click to view attachment

Estes Park CO KOA Cabin
Click to view attachment

Unloading after 3500miles.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Boxster spare tire
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The cross tube is cut from a Cessna airplane lift strut. Weighs 2.8 lbs. and mounts to the factory attach points. I 3-D printed a thin plastic gasket to protect the paint. Mounts with 6 M6 fasteners.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

This rear cross tube is a section cut from a lift strut from an Aeronca Champ airplane. This rear assembly weighs 12lbs.
Click to view attachment
1.25 receiver hitch with a 1UP USA receiver insert that tightens up to zero slack. As the screw on the end tightens it wedges the ball outward locking it in place and eliminating clearance.
Click to view attachment

914Rubber LED head lights
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
burton73
Hi Ross,

It would be helpful if you could post pictures front trunk, rear trunk, interior and other areas so we can tell how clean everything is. What is involved with putting the front bumper and such back to stock look. More pictures will help get your baby sold.

Thanks Bob B
76-914
I've seen ross' build and it is done RIGHT. The roof is a work of art and the paint looks great. I'm sure the car looks better when relieved of it's cargo pod but what a great way to travel xcountry in a 914 with luggage room to spare. GLWS Ross. beerchug.gif
914Subaru
My car sold and went to the new owner in Grants Pass, Oregon. Thank you everyone, this group has been a great inspiration and source for information.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
"pleasure isn't in the fulfillment, it's in the pursuit."
Cairo94507
Someone is getting a nice car. Congratulations on a nice build. beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
call me.gif
mgp4591
Thanks for all of the detail on your build...so many different solutions to the same issues some of us play with. Someone is getting a great build - congratulations! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.