Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resolved! ENGINE ISSUE #2: high idle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
BACKGROUND: I have a '73 2.0 with FI that I bought in April and it has run smoothly since purchasing until 3-4 weeks ago. So far, it's been a positive experience. I've done a few minor things myself to make the car safer (H4 headlights, H3 fogs, new Repa seatbelts, etc.). I have not touched the engine and have always left that stuff to professionals (aside from minor things like an oil change), but know eventually I will have to roll up my sleeves and learn how to maintain this car myself (as much as possible) to keep her on the road and running smoothly. Apparently, that time is now as I've had two issues come up that are preventing me from driving her.

ISSUE #2: this issue began just yesterday ... I started her up (cold start, first start of the day ... was hoping to troubleshoot the heating issue above) and immediately it started idling very high (2,000-2,500). Then the longer it sat idling, the higher the idling went (up to 3,000-3,500). I took it for a short drive around the block, but the idle never dropped even after warming up. Made it impossible to drive sitting at a light idling at 3,500. I checked the gas pedal (nothing seems sticky or stuck - gas pedal springs back fully when foot is removed). I popped the engine lid and I don't see anything sticking to the accelerator cable on the other end. I did noticed the voltage gauge was high too - it was at 13.5-14. Is the high voltage causing the high idle or is the high idle causing the high voltage? What could be causing the high idle out of the blue like this?

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.
brant
A vacuum line fell off
Probably the decel valve
emerygt350
Yep, definitely. Look at the plenum just to the left of the distributor. That awful stacked rubber thing is a POS.
DC_neun_vierzehn
@brant
@emerygt350

Man, you guys are fast and spot on.

Saw a port that looked like it needed a hose on it ... then noticed a hose that wasn't attached on one end.

Click to view attachment

DC_neun_vierzehn
Connected them ... and the idle issue is now fixed.

Thank you!Click to view attachment
emerygt350
Ahhh! Your pcv valve! Treat that thing with the utmost care. NLA but super simple to clean and keep working the way it should.
emerygt350
Your other hoses are looking good. Going where they should and in good condition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.