Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to modify the aux air. Red green style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
emerygt350
Got sick of how high the cold idle was. 5 dollar garden center hose valve. Click to view attachment
rgalla9146

Red Green....right up there with Newton, Thomas Edison, Da Vinci and Benny Hill
ClayPerrine
If the women don't find you handsome,

They should at least find you handy.

Dustin
So now you turn it down by hand?
Arno914
Aux air valve stuck open?
emerygt350
No, the aux air was working as intended but when fully open during warm up it would idle around 1900k then come down and sit at 1500 for a little while then close up and idle at 900. With my little mod I turn that valve to whatever I want the max idle to be. So I dropped it down to about 1500k. Since that is the maximum diameter everything else still works as it should.
9146GUY
A lot of people will not know who Red Green is....

Do a Google search for any of his u tube stuff.

He was a famous comedian from Canada who fixed everything with duct tape. He's in the Canadian broadcast hall of fame

I have known him for over 20 years and you can't stop laughing when you are around him
bkrantz
Not bad, but Red would have done that with duct tape.
ClayPerrine
Red Green Show

Possum Lodge
Root_Werks
That's not a hack to me, it's a great way to figure out what works. Not certain I'd leave it in for long though. Can't imagine the seals and plastic are up for any fuel vapors, oil etc.

I did similar 20+ years ago on a 2.0 Djet. Cold idle was probably similar to yours around 1,900 and just didn't like it. Had a nice warm idle around 900. I want to say I bought a handful of copper caps and drilled holes until one finally yielded a nice cold idle speed. I think I put the cap on the aux-air-reg, hose slid over it.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 8 2021, 10:41 AM) *

I want to say I bought a handful of copper caps and drilled holes until one finally yielded a nice cold idle speed. I think I put the cap on the aux-air-reg, hose slid over it.

To make the engine idle up with the AC on, I add a ford pickup fuel tank switch valve as a bypass of the throttle body. But it always makes it idle way to fast. So I put in a restriction in the hose from the valve to the intake. I use a piece of dowel rod, and I drill the center out until I get the idle speed I want when the AC is on. Usually just a little faster than the no AC idle speed, as it helps the AC to work better if the engine is turning a little faster. About 900 RPM AC off, and 1200 RPM AC on.

emerygt350
Yeah, I hope it will last since it should mostly be pulling clean air and when it fails it will just return to normal operation, alerting me to the failure. That is when the red green approved duct tape might enter the picture.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.