Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Assuming used cams are considered junk?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I have two used camshafts sitting in a pile of parts from the various cars that I assume are not worth holding on it. While I could measure them etc it seems like false economy using anything other than a new one if doing a rebuild given the overall effort / labor / cost to build an engine.

Yes/no/maybe?

I'm loath to bin anything that someone could use but....
930cabman
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 5 2021, 05:50 PM) *

I have two used camshafts sitting in a pile of parts from the various cars that I assume are not worth holding on it. While I could measure them etc it seems like false economy using anything other than a new one if doing a rebuild given the overall effort / labor / cost to build an engine.

Yes/no/maybe?

I'm loath to bin anything that someone could use but....

I recently sent a pretty ugly cam with very nasty gear to Dema at Elgin. It came back to me about a month later looking like new. Can't wait to get it in the engine to see how it performs.
Tdskip
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 5 2021, 07:08 PM) *

I recently sent a pretty ugly cam with very nasty gear to Dema at Elgin. It came back to me about a month later looking like new. Can't wait to get it in the engine to see how it performs.

That suggests holding on to them then until all the cars/engines are sorted. Thanks for the response (and your build updates).
914Sixer
Elgin can regrind the cam and lifters.
Tdskip
Thanks Mark, will save these.

Appreciate the information gentlemen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.