Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog / Driving Light Rewiring Hack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LefthandRev
I followed these instructions for conversion #2, which should allow me to keep the fog lamps on when high beams are on... but I can't seem to get this to work.

According to these instructions, on my car, terminal one only has one blue/white wire. My car was an 08/73 build, even though the VIN shows '74. The '74 wiring info doesn't match this car (and really, all of the features of the car are '73, such as the bumper and other minor things, so I'm treating it as a '73.)

Can anybody guide me on this? I'm a little boggled.

Thanks!
9146C
Mine is an early 72 (March).

Using an Ohm Meter and referencing my wiring diagram, I made a sketch of the Foglight schematic, switch and relay (pin ID's) to better understand (for myself) how the electrons were moving.

Not sure if this sketch will help with your late 73 build (others may chime in).

For me, the white/blue off fuse 1 was moved to ground. This allowed me to have the driving lights on with parking lights only as well as high beams.

Good luck.
LefthandRev
QUOTE(9146C @ Sep 7 2021, 07:34 PM) *

Mine is an early 72 (March).

Using an Ohm Meter and referencing my wiring diagram, I made a sketch of the Foglight schematic, switch and relay (pin ID's) to better understand (for myself) how the electrons were moving.

Not sure if this sketch will help with your late 73 build (others may chime in).

For me, the white/blue off fuse 1 was moved to ground. This allowed me to have the driving lights on with parking lights only as well as high beams.

Good luck.

Thanks - that did help.

So, in practical terms, from my photo below. (Forgive the mods, someone else owned this before me, obviously.)

Clip the blue & white with the star coming off the terminal marked #1, correct?

IPB Image
LefthandRev
oops, double posted. disregard this.
9146C
Just to verify, use an Ohm Meter to check the resistance of the wire you cut to pin 85 of the F/L relay...just to be sure you are grounding the correct wire.
LefthandRev
QUOTE(9146C @ Sep 8 2021, 09:50 AM) *

Just to verify, use an Ohm Meter to check the resistance of the wire you cut to pin 85 of the F/L relay...just to be sure you are grounding the correct wire.

Right. Thanks...

The description in the hack page isn't super clear. It's just "Do this, do that."

Going to run out and check.
LefthandRev
Alright, got it... and much cleaner than the hack site suggested it should be done.

Thankfully, since my wire was on the input side, I just had to pull it from the fuse block and crimp a male blade to my ground wire, then insert it. Cutting this off at the fuse block is silly.

Unfortunately, because the language in the page isn't clear, he suggests that it should be cut elsewhere, which I did previously. Having had my share of fuck-ups in the past, thankfully I didn't listen to his advise and cut it right at the terminal. I gave myself some slack. Unfortunately, I cut a wire.

In any case, here's how it worked on my car:

1) Find fuse block 1.

2) Check Ohm rating to ground from input side by putting the car in accessory mode with the keys in, turn lights on, then pull fog lamp switch. If you get no change, this side is the brights indicator. ALSO, verify you don't already have brights ON, or you'll get no change.

2a) - If you DO get a change in resistance, simply pull the SOLO blue & white wire off the fuse block from the input side, crimp a male blade to a ground wire, and add that to your car's ground lug. This should complete your hack.

3) If you do NOT get a change in resistance, the blue & white wire on the output side of the fuse block is likely the correct wire. I do not recommend cutting as close to the terminus as possible in case you're wrong. That being said, you can either clip the blue & white wire on the output side here, then terminate it to ground, and it should work.

These instructions are for hack #2: Running fog lamps with high beams.

IPB Image

IPB Image
SKL1
If you have access to early '70's Panorama there was a wiring mod that allowed you to flash the fogs with signal light wand like a 911. I did it to my '71 before I went to my first Parade in '72 so I could flash at 911 just to irritate them- many 911 drivers at the time didn't think we "VW" drivers belonged in the PCA...
I honestly don't remember how I did it, but it wasn't that complicated... it also allowed you to run the fogs totally independent of the light switch.
LefthandRev
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Sep 8 2021, 11:23 AM) *

If you have access to early '70's Panorama there was a wiring mod that allowed you to flash the fogs with signal light wand like a 911. I did it to my '71 before I went to my first Parade in '72 so I could flash at 911 just to irritate them- many 911 drivers at the time didn't think we "VW" drivers belonged in the PCA...
I honestly don't remember how I did it, but it wasn't that complicated... it also allowed you to run the fogs totally independent of the light switch.

That's cool. Seems to me that it would require routing the "on" position of the high beams so that it would send power through the fog lamp circuit. I'm going to study the diagram and see where that connection might be.

I'll report back if I do.
LefthandRev
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Sep 8 2021, 11:23 AM) *

Long shot, but you don't happen to know whether that Panorama issue was from 70 or 71, do you? Or even better, which specific issue it was? I'm trying to track it down.
SKL1
I did the mod sometime after the winter of 1970/1971 so it would be early ''71 or later. It may also be one of the issues of "Up fixin" from '71. My issues are in a box somewhere after we moved from IA to AZ so can't be more specific- sorry!
So probably an issue of Pano from January through the summer of '71... good luck!!
LefthandRev
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Sep 9 2021, 12:14 PM) *

I did the mod sometime after the winter of 1970/1971 so it would be early ''71 or later. It may also be one of the issues of "Up fixin" from '71. My issues are in a box somewhere after we moved from IA to AZ so can't be more specific- sorry!
So probably an issue of Pano from January through the summer of '71... good luck!!

Excellent, thanks. That at least cuts down my search by half.

On the hunt!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.