Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank Padding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
Iam installing my gas tank soon and I'am curious what's the best product for the protectant padding,..I have some commercial pieces of carpet that's tough enough but I would like to use a proven product, I belive the factory used a felt of some sort..?? Thanks Frank
914_7T3
See Post #32 of the below thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...32180&st=20
Dion
I went and used Scotch-brite green pads. Just about the proper thickness and won’t retain moisture. Plus I imagine on some level have some “grip” anyway just another idea for ya. beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
Those pads are to hold moisture against the tanks so that the tanks rust out at those points and you have to buy another tank.

They also stop vibration.

I don't recall what I have on my tank right now. I know at one point I hot-glues a piece of thin carpet to the tank to replace the pad. It may or may not still be on there - I think I took it off when I epoxy coated the tank.

Zach
mepstein
I used adhesive rubber sheets that I purchased from Grainger. They are available in many thicknesses.
914werke
agree.gif Rubber sheet cut to size
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the original carpet padding just like the factory produced. We have made them from the original carpet material and have them available to keep your 914 politically correct even though one cannot see them once the fuel tank is installed

QUOTE(flmont @ Sep 8 2021, 08:30 PM) *

Iam installing my gas tank soon and I'am curious what's the best product for the protectant padding,..I have some commercial pieces of carpet that's tough enough but I would like to use a proven product, I belive the factory used a felt of some sort..?? Thanks Frank

RiqueMar

@flmont - Send me your address, and I'll forward you the material I used, I think I have photos in my project-thread. I bought a roll from McMaster-Carr and have plenty left.

Same goes for anyone else who needs this! bye1.gif
9146C
I bought a sheet of 1/4" neoprene rubber off Amazon...seems to be working well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVC2RG...=UTF8&psc=1
Luke M
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 9 2021, 11:56 AM) *

@flmont - Send me your address, and I'll forward you the material I used, I think I have photos in my project-thread. I bought a roll from McMaster-Carr and have plenty left.

Same goes for anyone else who needs this! bye1.gif

Just in time. I need some of this stuff too...Pm with the details.
bkrantz
QUOTE(914werke @ Sep 9 2021, 09:31 AM) *

agree.gif Rubber sheet cut to size

Another vote for rubber.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 9 2021, 08:18 AM) *

Those pads are to hold moisture against the tanks so that the tanks rust out at those points and you have to buy another tank.

agree.gif

Betty and I spent about 3 months trying to hunt down a fuel smell when the tank on her car was more than half full. I replaced lines, fuel pump, charcoal canister, everything that was in the tank area. On a rainy day, we pulled a full fuel tank trying to find the issue. I thought it was just water from the ran, but Betty found gas leaking on her hand. The tank rusted out where the carpet pad was located.

A new tank fixed the issue.

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.