Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SoCal Caravan to WCR:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_7T3
Let me know if anyone would like to Caravan up to SLO for WCR on Thursday Oct. 14th. Would be happy to wait for San Diego & Orange County Teeners to make their way to LA.

My thought was to drive PCH from Santa Monica to Oxnard before picking up the 101. driving-girl.gif driving.gif
Coondog
This could work for me. PCH is a shit show until you get past Malibu.
Where did we meet when we did the Malibu run ?
Steve
QUOTE(Coondog @ Sep 8 2021, 11:04 PM) *

We usually meet off of the 405 in North OC
I agree with Greg, hwy 1 is bumper to bumper until Malibu. Just depends if your in a hurry to get there.
drem914
Sounds good, but need to get some more particulars like time of day for those of us coming from OC or SD. My usual departure time for SLO from OC is 4:30-5 AM to avoid the freeway crawl through west LA and later through SB, when going for work. I highly doubt anyone is going that early.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(drem914 @ Sep 9 2021, 06:08 AM) *

Sounds good, but need to get some more particulars like time of day for those of us coming from OC or SD. My usual departure time for SLO from OC is 4:30-5 AM to avoid the freeway crawl through west LA and later through SB, when going for work. I highly doubt anyone is going that early.

agree.gif Early is best for me too.

Let's see what everyone chimes in with but I'm ok with 5:30-6:00 Malibu meet-up.

OC group can meet up at our usual 405/Seal Beach Blvd location @ 5:00

I hate traffic...in it everyday barf.gif mad.gif bootyshake.gif

Oscar

sb914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 9 2021, 06:22 AM) *

Let's see what everyone chimes in with but I'm ok with 5:30-6:00 Malibu meet-up.

Oscar

I remember traffic! driving.gif
Steve

Oscar

Works for me
914_7T3

We met behind Main St. at parking lot #11 in Santa Monica and picked up PCH at the CA incline just after the 10 Fwy. As I write this, it is 8:13am PDT and as per Sig Alert, PCH North bound is at 20MPH where we would start at the CA incline and quickly gets up to 30mph by Sunset. From there it is clean 'n green up to 51 MPH once we hit Malibu Canyon.

Just let me know. A group from SFV and inland empire could also come down over Topanga or Malibu Canyon and meet up on PCH to save some time.

Whatever the San Diego and OC guys decide time wise will work! driving.gif

Steve
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Sep 9 2021, 08:21 AM) *

We met behind Main St. at parking lot #11 in Santa Monica and picked up PCH at the CA incline just after the 10 Fwy. As I write this, it is 8:13am PDT and as per Sig Alert, PCH North bound is at 20MPH where we would start at the CA incline and quickly gets up to 30mph by Sunset. From there it is clean 'n green up to 51 MPH once we hit Malibu Canyon.

Just let me know. A group from SFV and inland empire could also come down over Topanga or Malibu Canyon and meet up on PCH to save some time.

Whatever the San Diego and OC guys decide time wise will work! driving.gif

That is also a nice drive. Have to figure out what time to leave south OC, to get there without traffic.
second wind
Sounds good to me smile.gif Time to start checking on all of the funny sounds I've been hearing....not so funny when stuck in Nipomo.....catch up soon.
gg
gonzo54

Oscar

I'm in with OC 405/Seal Beach Blvd group at 5:00!! Then on to Malibu and-
914SIXXation
QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Sep 9 2021, 06:54 PM) *

Oscar

Hi Everybody,

Really looking forward to the upcoming West Coast Ramble.

I would definitely like to join your group to drive to SLO.

I will be driving up from Del Mar and it looks like the drive to the 405/Seal Beach Blvd. is about 85 miles and shows about 80 min. drive (today/ Saturday) but don't know what traffic I would hit on a Thursday.

I would need to leave at 3:30 AM or earlier (safety time window).

Most likely so I will be well rested before the drive to SLO, I would elect to stay in a hotel (with safe parking) on Wednesday evening near your meeting point.

I don't really know that area of would appreciate if you could pass on any suggested lodging places.

Feel free to PM me as well.

Looking forward to seeing everyone! Should be a great time!

Cheers,
Margie
driving-girl.gif
gonzo54
QUOTE(914SIXXation @ Sep 11 2021, 09:46 AM) *

Oscar

Hi Everybody,

I will be driving up from Del Mar and it looks like the drive to the 405/Seal Beach Blvd. is about 85 miles and shows about 80 min. drive (today/ Saturday) but don't know what traffic I would hit on a Thursday.

Most likely so I will be well rested before the drive to SLO, I would elect to stay in a hotel (with safe parking) on Wednesday evening near your meeting point.

I don't really know that area of would appreciate if you could pass on any suggested lodging places.

Cheers,
Margie
driving-girl.gif

Hi Margie, The Ayres Hotel is where we met up on the last Malibu drive-here is the link
www.ayreshotels.com/ayres-hotel-seal-beach

Rick
914SIXXation
QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Sep 11 2021, 06:23 PM) *

QUOTE(914SIXXation @ Sep 11 2021, 09:46 AM) *

Oscar

Hi Everybody,

Cheers,
Margie
driving-girl.gif

Hi Margie, The Ayres Hotel is where we met up on the last Malibu drive-here is the link
www.ayreshotels.com/ayres-hotel-seal-beach

Rick

Thanks Rick...... I'll check it out!

Margie
Coondog
I understand wanting to leave the OC and LA areas early to avoid traffic so how about meeting up at Paradise Cove for breakfast at 8am.

I just went to SLO this week and it only took me 4 hours via 210 and 101. With such a early start we would be in SLO before 12pm and have to wait to check in.

I think this would give everyone plenty of time to get to Paradise cove from either PCH or the 101.
Plus what a great way to start the road trip with a good breakfast on the beach in Malibu.

Please chime in good plan ? or loser idea ?
Robarabian
Great idea and outstanding breakfast spot!!

QUOTE(Coondog @ Sep 11 2021, 07:13 PM) *

I understand wanting to leave the OC and LA areas early to avoid traffic so how about meeting up at Paradise Cove for breakfast at 8am.

I just went to SLO this week and it only took me 4 hours via 210 and 101. With such a early start we would be in SLO before 12pm and have to wait to check in.

I think this would give everyone plenty of time to get to Paradise cove from either PCH or the 101.
Plus what a great way to start the road trip with a good breakfast on the beach in Malibu.

second wind
I love this plan!!! Sleep 'till 6 and see you at 8. WoooHooo!!! Plus a good breakfast listening to the waves crashing sure sounds like a vacation with benefits to me....
I visit my son in Arroyo Grande often and it is a delightful 3 hour tour max. I wonder what that sound is in the back? Maybe at G & R someone can diagnose the sound so I can fix it before WCR....Thank you all smile.gif.
gg
drem914

Sounds like a good plan. Gather and have a morning meal together before a grand venture up the coast.
914_7T3
Perfect Plan as I’ll need a canyon run to get there. 7:00am at the Gelsons on Mulholland Highway in Calabassas for anyone that wants to play! driving.gif
markb
QUOTE(second wind @ Sep 9 2021, 12:48 PM) *

Sounds good to me smile.gif Time to start checking on all of the funny sounds I've been hearing....not so funny when stuck in Nipomo.....catch up soon.
gg

You call me, we bring it to the ranch, we fix it, & you're on your way. smile.gif
second wind
QUOTE(markb @ Sep 12 2021, 11:24 PM) *

gg

You call me, we bring it to the ranch, we fix it, & you're on your way. smile.gif

Hello Mark....thank you for your offer....are you the Mark that told me to close off all of the holes and openings in my engine tin on the Mount Baldy drive? I did that and my car IS running cooler. Thank you and please give a call if you like.
Best regards,
Greg Gutesha
cell 310-386-6769
markb
QUOTE(second wind @ Sep 13 2021, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Sep 12 2021, 11:24 PM) *

gg

Hello Mark....thank you for your offer....are you the Mark that told me to close off all of the holes and openings in my engine tin on the Mount Baldy drive? I did that and my car IS running cooler. Thank you and please give a call if you like.
Best regards,
Greg Gutesha
cell 310-386-6769

Hi Greg, No, not me. I've been keeping a very low profile for many years now. The WCR will be the first thing I've been to for a long time.
VegasRacer

. . . . how about meeting up at Paradise Cove for breakfast at 8am.

. . . . what a great way to start the road trip with a good breakfast on the beach in Malibu.

I like the way you are thinking Greg. biggrin.gif
In fact, It is such an excellent idea, I think I will join you for breakfast. driving.gif chowtime.gif driving.gif
Steve
Paradise cove beach cafe?
Coondog
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 19 2021, 12:07 AM) *

Yes Malibu
Steve
QUOTE(Coondog @ Sep 19 2021, 08:45 AM) *

Yes Malibu

I’m game!! I’ll be there.
PCH
I hate it when they say PCH is a shit show.

Seriously, I live in Santa Barbara and the 101 from 6:30am to 9:00am northbound between Ventura and Santa Barbara is a nightmare. You've got both the regular morning commute and construction and lane closures.

If you do leave early, I would recommend the 33 north to the 166 to the 101 just north of Santa Maria. The 33 is a lovely road with very honest curves. But don't count on gas between Ojai and Nipomo.

I'm planning on catching with you all on Saturday.
Robarabian
If anyone is like me and can't make Thursday morning, I plan on Thursday evening... if there are any stragglers who want to do that, please reach out.
second wind
I am liking PCH's idea of avoiding the 101 on Thursday morning....can we give this some serious thought? Sitting in traffic with my 5-speed is not what I call fun. Let's really think about this!!
Thanks,
gg
VegasRacer
I will see all you clowns and turkeys in a week and a day.. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
Driving to Camarillo from Santa Maria, WCR 05?, in the afternoon, was a slow rolling nightmare.
second wind
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 6 2021, 11:02 AM) *

Driving to Camarillo from Santa Maria, WCR 05?, in the afternoon, was a slow rolling nightmare.

101 after breakfast...get on the 33....go to the 166....drop back down on to the 101....looks a little longer but could be the best way ? I have not done it but maybe someone has? Do tell.....
gg
jim_hoyland
The 405 and 101 clear up abound 9:30 10:00 am from my experience…
second wind
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 6 2021, 01:03 PM) *

I agree except when there is construction going on. I wonder how we can find out??
gg
drem914

Agreed. I would think that after breakfast in Malibu things should clear up for the drive up on 101. A lot of the freeway construction through Santa Barbara has been completed still more down in the Carpinteria area continuing and my last time through (6 weeks ago) was much smother than previous morning travels.
914_7T3
QUOTE(second wind @ Oct 6 2021, 02:26 PM) *

I agree except when there is construction going on. I wonder how we can find out??
gg

Click the below link to get real time traffic...

https://www.sigalert.com/?lat=33.984259&....223015&z=2
Robarabian
My last ditch to see if anyone is driving up Thursday evening.... I have to work Thursday all day, but will be free by 5:00 pm. Anyone want to caravan with me? I can wait till later too, if someone needs more time to get up this way. We can meet off the 101 in Thousand Oaks etc...

I had a few PM's of "maybe's" but looking again to solidify a plan.

Thanks.
rhodyguy
That Sigalert is a handy tool.
drem914
https://readysbc.org/alisal-fire/
Santa Barbara County status update for info on the Alisal Fire. Evacuation Areas, Road Closures, Fire Area, etc.

Here is also an excerpt from ther Santa Barbara Independent regarding travel diverted from 101:

The 154 through the San Marcos Pass is open and remains the alternate route for travel between Santa Barbara and the Santa Ynez Valley. It was congested just east of Lake Cachuma this morning, said Shivers, and dozens of cars waited in line at the 101 intersection this morning. “A big dose of patience is needed today,” Shivers said.

For the longer haul and larger trucks, Interstate 5 remained the best option for travel through Central California. To reach the coast from the 5, Shivers suggested highway 46 East was a faster and safer route than the twisting narrows of Highway 166 near Santa Maria. The 46 leaves the 5 in the Lost Hills area and heads toward Paso Robles.
Tonyooc
Have fun everyone, the drive there is as fun as the event. driving.gif
914_7T3
Please see the main WCR thread below for updates on this topic.

http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=351696
ValcoOscar
Guys/Gals-

sad.gif

I can't make WCR this year.

See ya'll soon.

Enjoy!!!

Oscar
Steve
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Oct 13 2021, 01:00 PM) *

Guys/Gals-

sad.gif

See ya'll soon.

Enjoy!!!

Oscar

Sorry to hear that Oscar!! Hope everything is alright. Let me know if you need anything!!
drem914
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 19 2021, 08:59 AM) *

Yes Malibu

8:00 AM for breakfast correct? Just wanted to confirm.
Steve
QUOTE(drem914 @ Oct 13 2021, 10:36 PM) *

Yes Malibu

Yep.. I will be there!!
gonzo54

Guys/Gals-

sad.gif

See ya'll soon.

Enjoy!!!

Oscar

Oscar, Sorry to hear that-you will be missed

-Rick
gonzo54
QUOTE(drem914 @ Oct 13 2021, 10:36 PM) *

Yes Malibu

Hey guys, I won't see you in Malibu-driving straight to SLO by way of 154 or 33?
-Rick
second wind

Guys/Gals-

sad.gif

See ya'll soon.

Enjoy!!!

Oscar

Darn! You certainly will be missed....a lot!!!
All the best,
gg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.