Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Amazing Werks Reunion Experience And Sports Car Digest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lucky9146
Like many of you I am sure you were dealing with the whole Covid thing and with the cancellation of the 2020 Werks Reunion I was really looking forward to 2021. But would Werks Reunion 2021 really even happen? I had checked early in 2021 with anyone and everyone I could, that was previously associated with Werks to see what was cooking. Answers were: maybe, not sure, don’t have a venue, nothing from PCA, etc.

With nothing firm, in April I went ahead and booked my hotel. Betting on the come.

I had shown my 914 at the 2019 Werks in Judged so was planning to bring my 911 this time. I purchased the 911 in 2019 (a story for another time of a 20 + year search) and had been fine tuning it since, in hopes of having everything in place and the planets align in order to show it at the 2021 Werks Reunion.

I don’t recall exactly when it was firmed up and communicated there would in fact be a 2021 Werks Reunion. I looked forward to registration and could not wait to submit my application as soon as sign up was available. The time came, I think it was June 23rd, and I submitted my 911 the day registration opened, I think I was 9th in line registering

Yes! I’m “IN” and it was confirmed so on June 30th. Everything had fallen into place.

I think it was July 16th I learned that the feature car for Werks Reunion 2021 was going to be the 914. Oh My!

I contacted Tom Provisi to see if it were possible to switch, or even if I should, with everything already in place. He said there were only nine 914’s registered in judged, so I said if you want another, and he would allow me to switch cars to the 914, that I would. The switch was made on July 16. OK, guess which car was all ready to go and which one needed some attention. Yup the 911 was all set, so I then created a list of all I wanted and needed to do to the 914.

We arrived in Monterey the day before Werks. The day OF Werks we got a late start and when we got to the golf course, were told we would be right in front with the 914’s, but then we were directed to the complete other end of the field. As we were cleaning up the car a guy came by and asked if we were in 914 judged and we said yes, and he said that is where his 914 was. When we got it all straightened out we drove back to the judged 914’s and as I pulled up there were three on one side and three on the other with my 914 ending up in the middle making a horseshoe. I felt it was a prime position for getting there late. I saw Michael’s car right away and we met for the first time.

The day was fantastic! Overcast for a time which was fine. Got to know Michael and his brother Bob, met Jim Patrick whom I’d only spoken to previously, plus saw 4 of his cars there. All the 914’s got a lot of attention as a lot of people came by asking questions and wanting to learn, plus just positive vibes. Fun time. I barely left the car all day!

Toward the end of the day a photographer came by with huge Nikon’s. She identified herself as being a photog for Sports Car Digest and could she take pictures of my car? OF COURSE! She mentioned that she and her husband had 914’s and was attracted to mine. There was of course no guarantee that any pictures of my car would make it in into the on line Magazine.

Weeks went by! Nothing! I’d seen a few Sports Car Digest’s come out and nothing on Werks.

Until Yesterday! https://sportscardigest.com/2021-porsche-werks-reunion/

Of the 109 pictures in the Gallery, my car was in, or could be seen in 8 of the pictures.
Thought I’d died and gone to heaven.

Click to view attachment

Lucky9146
As I said, of the 109 pictures in the Gallery, my car was either in, or could be seen in 8 of the pictures. I could not believe my eyes. These are the 8 pictures.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Other 914's in the gallery. And I think Michael's car should have been in there more than just one!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Since Michael's @Cairo94507 car only got one pic in Sports Car Digest and I was so fortunate, I am posting pics of his car here. Glad you won, you deserved it, as your car is very nice! beerchug.gif

Also glad you got to share this experience with your brother!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Also special was having the guy I bought my car from as a project in 2013 come by to say HI. @moparrob he is black shirt red hat.

We have become good friends over the years beerchug.gif My Friend

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
It should be duly noted that my wonderful wife of 52 years accompanied me and was a huge help, especially in cleaning up the car when we arrived late.

She is a trooper for sure and I am one lucky guy. smlove2.gif

Click to view attachment

Dion
Well done. Congrats to all. Michael’s car is deserving of a blue ribbon for sure. first.gif
Your car is right up there. Followed your thread on it. Very nice! beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Hey Jim, @Lucky9146 - Thanks so much for the kind words and posting the pictures. It was great seeing you and getting to talk about our cars. I love your car and it deserved to be photographed and published for sure. beerchug.gif See you again for more fun.
Cheers,
Michael
914SIXXation
Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for posting your Werks Reunion experience and all of the amazing photos of these cherished 914s. Always dig all the creative license plates too.

Your car and ALL of them look fantastic. I had registered my blue 914-6 for the Corral and unfortunately had to cancel the week prior but was glad that another 914 was looking for a corral pass and could use mine.

I also went to the link for the magazine and was so impressed with ALL of the awesome photos.

I hope to see you and many other proud 914 owners at the upcoming West Coast Ramble in October!

Cheers,

Margie
driving-girl.gif
PanelBilly
I need to attend one of these years. It looks like you had so much fun
Maltese Falcon
That's a Great showing of 914s, thx for sharing the pics and extra bonus running into @moparrob !
I really dig the ducktail spoiler on your six, it brings back memories from the day I drilled the trunk lid on my (1 month New) '74 914 blink.gif
Oh yeah...I was asking myself Why I was violating this 914 , but the end result was worth it !¡
Marty
Lucky9146
My thanks to everyone for the comments and complements, much appreciated and good to hear from you all. smile.gif
@Dion @Cairo94507 @914SIXXation @PanelBilly @Maltese Falcon

And thanks for the PM's and inquiries on my build thread.
Posting address here for anyone else that may want to explore it: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=261197

Also, I wanted to make it clear the pictures in the gallery of the article, and posted as the eight in my second post in this thread, came from Kristina Cilia.
www.KristianCilaPhotography.com Apparently she does a lot for Sports Car Digest. Of note she also did the 2021 Concours d'Lemons | Sports Car Digest. Fyi

A few more pics of Kristina in action on my car. Here she is taking 2 of the pics that ended up in the article gallery. How cool is that!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Shivers
@Cairo94507 Congrats on the win.

@Lucky9146 Thanks for posting, what a great time. Bitchin car, dude

eric9144
smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
Awesome!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.