Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rain Rain Rain...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
Okay I am have all my windows and seals installed now smile.gif
It was going to rain tonight so I left it outside in the rain to water leak test it. Well guess what..... I have H2O all over my floorboards sad.gif

Does anyone have any photos of the seals at the doors? I am not sure if my seals have larger gaps then normal.

Cheers beerchug.gif
Kerry
redshift
Which seals did you replace, better put, where is the water coming from, exactly?

M
Kerrys914
I had the car painted and I removed all of the seals. Some of the seals are new and some I am reusing.

I think the water is coming in from the doors. The top of the door doesn't seem to be sealing too well. I did see some drops coming from the front of the targa top too.

Also, there seems to be a gap between the targa top and the front pilar seal.

It sucks because I don't want to install my carpet until I find the cause of the leaks.

Thanks
Kerry
Aaron Cox
my car has all new seals- there is always a gap from the targe seals and the a pillar seals- both new, and ther is a little gap
SirAndy
you can adjust the windows, not only up/down (back/front) but also in/out ...

there should be NO gap between the front pilar seal and the targa top.

can you post pics of your seals?

Andy
Kerrys914
I'll try to take some photo's tonight when I get home. I also noticed a wird gap at the door jam side of the window squeege. It seems the squeege is short?

I checked the rear window and the firewall is dry smile.gif So that is one place I have no leaks.

Trunk has H2O in it as well sad.gif I replaced the trunk floor due to rust so I guess there must have been an existing leak. I think I need to buy stock in clear silicone. I installed the rear trunk shocks so maybe I am getting water in from there?? Rear light seal?

Any problems with using silicone to seal the light housing to the body? Is this a major cheese fix?

Thanks guys
Kerry
redshift
1st off, repaints deserve new seals.

Ok, now that we got through that...

The squeeg is short, you need new ones, both sides.. notice that wind noise?

Most common leaks appearing at the front of the targa side seal are coming from the joint with the windshield seal, or more likely, the winshield seal is taking in water, then it flows to that joint.

With a new seal set, and some adhesive, you can make them 99% water-tight.

Let's not put glue all over our cars now.

M
robby750
The water getting into your trunk is running down the channels on either side of the seals and then leaking past the taillights and the body. I had the same problem and solved it with the stuff you see here. Bought it at Lowes and I'm sure they have it at Home Depot. It was about $5.00 and has an adhesive on the back side. Cut it the desired lengths and apply it to the body. Re-install the taillights and you cant even see it. I flooded my car with water afterward and it was dry as a bone inside.
Brad Roberts
I have found a rubber "gooey" crap on 9146 housings. Andy used it on his car when he re-did his rear end.

He will chime in and tell us what it is he used.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.