Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommendations for plug wires…
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pnewman
So one of my Beru wires went bad with only 1000 miles on it, = not happy camper

Looking for recommendations and sources. 2.0 liter (short ends)

Was talking to LN Engineering about
Magnecor 8mm # 40442
$96.05

https://lnengineering.com/products/magnecor...n-wire-set.html

Thoughts
If Magnecor then what size?
Thought 8mm just fine for my set up.
(For my 2056 w/ L-Jet)

Thoughts and sources?

(Thanks in advance, Pete)
steuspeed
Just went through my ignition with new plugs and wires. Car has Pertronix and was running and sputtering. Went with standard NGK plugs since they were fouling. Stepped up for Clewett Engineering wires. Didn't fix it. Incorrect MPS was the problem. The car runs better than ever now. The bad thing about larger diameter plug wires, is none of the wires will fit in the clips now. I saw zero change from my old crap wires to the spendy Clewett. Think I would go with a NGK wire set next time.
pnewman
Update:
I ended up going with :

Magnecor Electrosports 70 SS Ignition Wire Set including coil wire, 7mm (black)(1974 Porsche 914 4-cyl T
Part #: PEL-MAGN47442

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PELM...n=PEL-MAGN47442

Via pelican parts.
$101 with Free delivery. (Sept 2021)
I received them in under 5 business days drop shipped from their supplier.
They are 7mm which allows the utilization of the oem wire holders.
The wires have 90 degree bends a the cap which I like but they are a bit long. I am guessing that they kept them the same length as oem but the 90 terminals shorten the needed length. Oh well, Better too long than 1mm too short.

They run just as good as the $30 Beru's did. I spent the money on the Magnecors in the hope that they last longer than 1 year!

I hope that this helps anyone searching in the future.
VaccaRabite
With the Magnecors - be careful. They are ~1mm thicker then the stock wires, and the lead holders can score the insulation if you aren't careful.

Zach
pnewman
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 24 2021, 12:04 PM) *

With the Magnecors - be careful. They are ~1mm thicker then the stock wires, and the lead holders can score the insulation if you aren't careful.

Zach

Zach,

Magnecor offers 7mm/8mm/8.5mm Wires for our 914’s currently.

The wires that I bought from Pelican (see post above) were 7mm. They fit perfectly in the oem wire holders without anymore compression than the Beru wires and Magnecor provided wire organizers as well.

Hope this helps anyone shopping for wires.
FYI only time will tell if they last.
Pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.