Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pic request 914-6 conversion using CIS throttle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
I will be using the patrick motorsports linkage and I am already seeing an issue. The sheet metal from restoration design looks to be using the stock location for carbs which pushes the throttle closer to the center of the engine and has the ball on the inside. CIS throttle has it on the outside. I believe some needed to drill out the ball and tap it on the opposite side. Did they also need to drill a new hole? Did anyone get it working with less effort? Maybe just drill a hole further towards the outside of the engine and not mess with the ball on the throttle shaft. Show me what you did if you can, I'm a visual learner beer3.gif

Thanks all!
Root_Werks
Here's a pic of my 2.7 with CIS. It uses a 4cyl cable. I cannot claim credit for the bracket. PO made a little bracket which allowed the use of the cable. Only mod on my part was drilling a hole in the 914-6 tin, adding a grommet for the cable to run through.

Tdskip
Bump for even more pictures...and a thank you to @Root_Werks
SirAndy
Search for the build thread of the late Jeff Tucker (Jeffs9146), he had tons of good info in there.

bye1.gif
VegasRacer
Click to view attachment
nditiz1
Thanks @SirAndy

@VegasRacer - John did you drill a new hole? Looks like everything is stock. Did you use the existing hole or drill a new one?
Cairo94507
VegasRacer and Root_Werks both have clean installs. beerchug.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 15 2021, 09:53 AM) *

John did you drill a new hole? Looks like everything is stock.

The PO did the conversion. smash.gif No extra holes that I am aware of.
nditiz1
Do you think you can get a shot of looking at where it passes through the rear engine tin?
Root_Werks
I think you can use a 914-6 bell crank with most of the factory CIS linkage. It's super close to 914-6 carbs. There was one 914-6 CIS conversion I recall doing using a 914-6 bell crank and slightly modified rod. Turned out very nice and factory looking.

Only reason my 914-6 uses a 4cyl cable is because it was already done and works well.
nditiz1
This is the issue with it lining up.

Click to view attachment
VegasRacer
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 15 2021, 11:16 AM) *

Do you think you can get a shot of looking at where it passes through the rear engine tin?

This is the only photo I could find in my files of the rear engine tin.
Steve
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Sep 15 2021, 10:18 PM) *

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 15 2021, 11:16 AM) *

This is the only photo I could find in my files of the rear engine tin.

What’s the red box for?
VegasRacer
AMB Racing Transponder. Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Sep 16 2021, 01:47 AM) *

AMB Racing Transponder. Click to view attachment

Why would you put the transponder that far back in the car? You would want it on the front bumper... Just in case you go neck and neck with another car across the line. If he has his transponder on the front bumper, and you have it in the engine compartment, he is going to win because his transponder crossed the line first.

Clay
ClayPerrine
Here are some pictures from an old thread on a CIS 914. The previous owner used an Audi airbox to replace the Porsche one, and that allowed it to fit in the 914 engine compartment.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The whole thread on the system is HERE.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 16 2021, 05:25 AM) *

Why would you put the transponder that far back in the car? You would want it on the front bumper...

You are correct Clay . . . . IF I was using the car for wheel to wheel competition.
It makes no difference for DE events and collecting lap times.
nditiz1
I just drilled a hole next to the factory throttle location. It should do the trick if I offset PMS throttle further towards the passenger side to line up perfectly.
VegasRacer
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.