Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electrical - where to start looking?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
I was taking the 914 out today for a safety inspection to get new license plate sticker. Started the car and checked all the lights and they all worked perfectly. Shut down the car and a few minutes started up the motor to leave.

First thing i see is the radio flashing like crazy and no 'idiot' So I checked the lights again and here's the results:

Both headlights on low beam. Right goes to high and left stays on low
Fog lights work as they should
No turn signals but emergency flashers work ok
Dash lighting is fine (with headlights on) but no parking brake light & generator light stays on
Tail lights on ok with headlights on but no brake lights
No radio
All the fuses are ok but definitely a short or a failed component

What is a good starting place you think I to trace this down?
914e
It seems to be affecting many systems. I would start looking for loose grounds, and bad connections at all the 10-12 gauge power cables. Off the top of head they are all red and yellow
Spoke
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 16 2021, 03:30 PM) *

Both headlights on low beam. Right goes to high and left stays on low
Fog lights work as they should

It seems impossible that one headlight could go hi beam while the other is low beam. See below that both low beams come from the same wire. Likewise both high beams come from the same wire.

Spoke
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 16 2021, 03:30 PM) *

Dash lighting is fine (with headlights on) but no parking brake light & generator light stays on

@bandjoey

So the GEN light stays on all the time? Did you spin all the fuses? Did you take each fuse out and measure their resistances?

Check fuse 9 to see that it has power on both sides of the fuse. fuse 9 powers the GEN light. Check each side of fuse 9 to chassis ground. Both sides should be 14V.

Steve
Stab in the dark, but try swapping the accessory relay with the horn or fog relay.
When you pull the panel to swap the relays look for loose wires and check the ground connections.
bandjoey
While tracing down grounds I found the problem. I won LED headlights from VintagecarLED's at I think Okteenerfest several years ago. Their lights have a pigail plug in socket plus a box of some sort on a separate wire. Metal and plastic box. Somehow the electrical tape I had installed came apart and it was shorting on the headlight frame. Re-taped everything, reinstalled, and everything back to normal. Thanks for the suggestions. !!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.