Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 at Sotheby's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sprout
Sorry if it's been posted already, but I just came across this:

https://hiconsumption.com/auction-block-1975-porsche-914/

I wonder what the crazy winning bid will be on this low mileage beauty?!
Olympic 914
Wrong front valence. Why change it on a 1300 mile car?
rick 918-S
What is the riveted tag?
930cabman
She will Not be a cheap date
KELTY360
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Sep 16 2021, 04:59 PM) *

Wrong front valence. Why change it on a 1300 mile car?

Was probably changed long before 1300 miles by original buyer because he 'liked the look.'
drem914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 16 2021, 05:20 PM) *

What is the riveted tag?

Not sure but I have the same type of tags on my 75
JeffBowlsby
Its a period correct aftermarket valence. Probably dealer installed at the same time the side stripes went on..

Great color, a 49 state 2.0L and its like 1975 right now today. This should blow safely past the green 75 1.8s that set the high water mark a couple years ago, if the economics are still in place.

Banged up wheel cap with that low mileage?

Shouldnt the fuel gauge have an "Unleaded Fuel Only" label?

Six figgures for this /4 possible?
914Sixer
May have had a factory radio at some point because holes are there. Otherwise there should be no cutout.
rgalla9146

Looks like the fuel tank has been through a radiator shop boil-out.
There's a welded up hole drivers side front top.
Also proof the factory VIN stamp on the front right inner fender is correct
in primer ?
Was the masking tape accidentally left by the factory or was the inner fender
repainted ?
Beaitiful car !
Jett
The car has amazing gaps, interior, and paint!

I am confused by the condition of the rims, lugs, and caps, and the missing stereo. Also expected to see the red vacuum hoses, but not sure if they stopped installing them in 74.

Has anyone seen pictures of the underside of this car?

Are these areas stock?
Montreal914
Why would there be overspray on that tag, but not on the rivets? confused24.gif
Shivers
Click to view attachment

Factory masking tape?
wonkipop
think its real.

wouldn't mind seeing some shots underneath.

but i have just been transported back to late 80s looking at those photos.......except for one thing, the interior light.

its a funny one.

BENBRO02
They don’t claim it has 1,300 miles. They say “it reads 1,300 miles”. I would want to see documentation to prove the mileage. It looks good but I’m skeptical that it’s completely original.
Arno914
Hellhole pics!!! biggrin.gif

Beautiful car. But more than 1.300 mls I would say.
Overspray at the door post visible. Paint on rear panel looks too much orange peel for a factory paint.

Just to be picky... smile.gif
wonkipop
out of interest. not seeing many 75s down here and not for 30 years anyway.

whats this number, looks to be at top of windscreen. is that a 75/76 thing?

Click to view attachment

factory paint marking on raintray?
never seen that before.

Click to view attachment

bbrock
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Sep 17 2021, 03:10 PM) *

Wondered that myself. Looks like it was made from one of those old fashioned label makers.
914werke
Curiously I just looked at a late 74 /4 yesterday that had both the typical headlight bucket tag and the chassis riveted tag normally found on the 75/76 cars just behind it on the lwr fender well.
I didnt get a picture of it but it was clearly OE.
Cairo94507
Not a factory thing- demo-labler (old school) probably added by a dealership at some point. Probably had to do with lot inventory to track cars. Same with the 3-PDI thing; dealer added -never seen a factory car come with that.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 17 2021, 06:44 PM) *

Not a factory thing- demo-labler (old school) probably added by a dealership at some point. Probably had to do with lot inventory to track cars. Same with the 3-PDI thing; dealer added -never seen a factory car come with that.

ok. guess they would had their keys tagged and numbered if they had big inventories.
maybe the 3-PDI was a region distributor thing for ID sorting out to dealers.

interesting that car maybe hasn't been "de-dealered" since then.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Arno914 @ Sep 17 2021, 05:27 AM) *

Hellhole pics!!! biggrin.gif

Beautiful car. But more than 1.300 mls I would say.
Overspray at the door post visible. Paint on rear panel looks too much orange peel for a factory paint.

Just to be picky... smile.gif

should see the orange peel on my car and its factory paint.
i'm guessing beer fumes built up in the paint booth as the day wore on at karmann factory. lucky customers got smooth cars from the morning shift. beer.gif

mind you mine is noticeably faded after 40 odd years.
between inners and outers. and its always been garaged, but not out of the light.
and that car is unfaded. only way it could be like that is near zero UV exposure?
or a repaint. but i don't reckon it is a repaint.
reds/oranges fade no matter what due to the pigments.
914lover17
Same car auctioned in 2018?

https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-se...he-914-auction/
wonkipop
QUOTE(914lover17 @ Sep 17 2021, 09:21 PM) *

well spotted. beerchug.gif

sotherby's image set from 2018.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/ca18/the...e-914-20/724528

its had a little bit more detailing and cleaning up done.
particularly in engine bay.

was right about the interior light.
wasn't there in 18.

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
story says he gave the car to his girlfriend.
she didn't like it.
and then she didn't like him and left.
he parked it in the garage for 40 years.

whats the bet she dinged it on the drinkers side front?
he parked it damaged?
its been hauled out and fixed up, maybe just before 2018.
might explain the masking tape on the vin no. and the overspray on the rivetted plate?

sometimes cars get parked for a reason and then just forgotten about.

its got a very fresh wart rubber mounting seal on the rhs.
those seals go hard, even when you garage your car for 40 years.

EDIT
whats the story with coils on 75 2.0L

this ones got the coil mount as per 1.8L
and a hole in the engine tin?
photo from 2018.

seems it sold for 78K in 18.

Click to view attachment
73-914
more "Flippers Paradise" poke.gif stirthepot.gif
BENBRO02
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Sep 17 2021, 05:10 PM) *

Click to view attachment

factory paint marking on raintray?
never seen that before.

Click to view attachment

My 1975 has the vin on the edge of the windshield just like every other year. I’ve never seen anything like that before. I also skimmed through the A Restorer’s Guide to Authenticity and didn’t see anything.
mihai914

The actual windshield VIN tag is still there, it can be seen in the picture with the registration tag.

They also mention that the original tires are available but were replaced along the way for obvious reasons. That would explain the dinged-up center caps.

It's cool to see the 2018 and current pictures, it shows how a car can degrade over time if not driven or parked in a museum.

More reason to go out and drive our cars no matter how well preserved.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(73-914 @ Sep 18 2021, 08:19 AM) *

more "Flippers Paradise" poke.gif stirthepot.gif

agree.gif Understatment of the year.

I'll go as far as to predict that eventually this ends up in a lawsuit eventually once the flipping stops. Eerie similarities going on here with what was going on at wine auctions back in mid-2000's selling vintage wine.

Auction houses largely shielded from fraud as they claim they are just a sellers agent and don't have accountability for claims made by the seller. Auction Buyer and Seller's ageements tend to make it difficult for a buyer to sue without significant financial resources. Each new buyer that ended up with something of questionable provenance had no choice but to admit they had been had, or to flip it at the next opportunity making the same claims that represented the item when they bought it. Eventually it all started coming undone.

Nice car but I'm not convinced it's 1300 originnal miles. Hopefully the new seller has a portfolio of pictures documenting the original "barn" find, the 40 years of storage, etc. I'll be happy to be wrong if that exitsts.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
This car was bid before and has several questionable things as I remember. The car CERTAINLY has very very low miles, but who would install a snow plow fiberglass spoiler and remove the radio?

QUOTE(Sprout @ Sep 16 2021, 04:31 PM) *

Sorry if it's been posted already, but I just came across this:

https://hiconsumption.com/auction-block-1975-porsche-914/

I wonder what the crazy winning bid will be on this low mileage beauty?!
horizontally-opposed
I like 914s. A lot. But once you start closing in on six figures, for a 914-4, there are so many compelling cars.

Just one example: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-ferr...0-maranello-13/

So, a BUB with a merely plausible story and some overspray or a V12 Ferrari with a gated six-speed manual and 20,000~ miles? What's one with 40,000 or 60,000 miles going for? I gotta ask, this or that? V12 or Type IV? I mean, really? shades.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 18 2021, 08:54 PM) *

I like 914s. A lot. But once you start closing in on six figures, for a 914-4, there are so many compelling cars.

So, a BUB with a merely plausible story and some overspray or a V12 Ferrari with a gated six-speed manual and 20,000~ miles? What's one with 40,000 or 60,000 miles going for? I gotta ask, this or that? V12 or Type IV? I mean, really? shades.gif

agree.gif

60,000 Ferraris rarely exist. If you can find one, the paint usually has been polished off down to bare metal. av-943.gif
Jett
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 18 2021, 05:54 PM) *

Although the overall point is a good one, I would never buy a car that has an implied maintenance contract that requires ~$10K every 3k miles or three years regardless of miles.
adolimpio
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 18 2021, 08:54 PM) *

I also like 914 a LOT. It's always been my favorite car and this is my third. Regardless of cost, there are no more advanced, modern super cars that give you:

- Plenty of cargo space - I can put two set of golf clubs in the back trunk and my wife's pull cart in the front.

- Targa top

- Incredible handling

- Great gas mileage

- Reasonably comfortable seating

- Ability to perform almost all maintenance myself. I doubt that I could afford an oil change on a more modern super car.

- Continual appreciation. A more modern car will likely depreciate for quite a while, and will only begin to appreciate at some point if you chose wisely.

- It is also unlikely that a more modern car will have a community of like-minded crazy people like you find here on 914World.

wonkipop
i can understand 6's being worth serious money.
i could never understand why there were not until relatively recently.
+ a 6 is a hell of a driver's car.

think i can understand why the very few very original well preserved 4s might be worth serious coin at this distant point in time. purely for collectors. all about rarity?
though it does surprise me that it has happened.........finally after half a century.

i have a feeling your everyday run of the mill 4s will stay affordable.
its some kind of mad fad, and its not restricted to 914s.
the strangest things appear to be worth big money down here in aus.

but i agree with views that says there are better ways to spend 60K+.
not sure what that might be in terms of a brand new car.
but i could probably pick up about 10, 10+ year old pocket rockets and get them all running perfectly and then flog them all into the ground before i die with a smile.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 19 2021, 08:34 AM) *

60,000 Ferraris rarely exist. If you can find one, the paint usually has been polished off down to bare metal. av-943.gif

Every Ferrari is $100K these days once you get them road worthy and catch up on deferred maintenance.
second wind
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 19 2021, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 19 2021, 08:34 AM) *

Every Ferrari is $100K these days once you get them road worthy and catch up on deferred maintenance.

I love the Ferrari....who wouldn't? But I would never be able to do a thing on it maintenance wise nor afford anything else on it. Plus it is hard to enjoy such an expensive car without $100.000 in the bank. After owning and driving a 1989 944 Turbo...which just might be faster than this car, I learned the hard way you'd best have 5 g's in the bank just to drive it. Now my '73 2.0 is another story....going on my fourth WCR and I usually fix the car myself. I drive it every week and granted I am cautious not to get a door ding but there are lots of parking places. Until my dinars revalue I will just be content with my baby of 13 years.
gg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.