Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Frunk" Lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rick986
OK so I have these on the new '75. Searched here but can't find info. They're stamped "Hella"...so I assume they're original? But where/how are they activated? There's a 'plunger" on the drivers' side by the headlight with a disconnected wire..but I can't see how this possibly activates the light when the hood is open. Thanks!
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Not stock.

If it's anything like the rear trunk light, it's always on when the light is on.
shades.gif

bkrantz
The plunger could be for an alarm. Any signs of one?
rgalla9146

Nice idea.
Execution not so good.
IronHillRestorations
Scotchlock connectors are a giveaway that it's not stock
rmital
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 17 2021, 07:43 AM) *

Nice idea.
Execution not so good.

yeah...and they get in the way when trying to remove the spare tire cover.
ClayPerrine
I would have put one on the underside of the front trunk lid, just behind the latch.

Now I am thinking about doing that, just so I can see in there at night. Make it a switch that turns on when it is tilted, and put in a sensor so it detects if it is daylight.

idea.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 17 2021, 07:06 AM) *

I would have put one on the underside of the front trunk lid, just behind the latch.

Now I am thinking about doing that, just so I can see in there at night. Make it a switch that turns on when it is tilted, and put in a sensor so it detects if it is daylight.

idea.gif

Found this: 964.511.052.00

Front trunk latch for a 964. Looks like it will bolt in and replace the factory 914 trunk latch, and it has a switch for the light.

Clay
gereed75
Actuaskly, that Hela Light has some 914 provenance. It looks to be a number light as used on 6 GT,s. Are these even available Any more ?

Click to view attachment

https://pbase.com/9146gt/image/119241371

Oops, appears that they are license plate lights from BMW 2002. Thanks AJ

gms
You should pull that license plate light off and send it to me
biggrin.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Sep 17 2021, 08:53 AM) *

Actuaskly, that Hela Light has some 914 provenance. It looks to be a number light as used on 6 GT,s. Are these even available Any more ?

Click to view attachment

https://pbase.com/9146gt/image/119241371

Oops, appears that they are license plate lights from BMW 2002. Thanks AJ

Who will be the first to do it ?
Hide my drill and my files. smile.gif
Rick986
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Sep 16 2021, 08:10 PM) *

The plunger could be for an alarm. Any signs of one?

Yes, they must have had an alarm on the car at one time because the old-school keyed switch is next to the rear passenger wheel well. sad.gif
Rick986
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 17 2021, 06:06 AM) *

idea.gif

Good idea, but you can just buy a stick-on one with a switch at Amazon cheap.
rhodyguy
One of these in the glovebox is easier and cheaper. Works swell when the bulb in the rear trunk burns out.
theer
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 17 2021, 08:06 AM) *

idea.gif

The 924/944 has a tilt-activated underhood light which is powered when the lights are on and the hood is up. There’s a glass bulb with a liquid (mercury??) which makes the connection- much like old-timey house thermostats. Could be made to work on our cars. Hmmmm.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924...tch-wiring.html
anderssj
QUOTE(theer @ Sep 17 2021, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 17 2021, 08:06 AM) *

idea.gif

The 924/944 has a tilt-activated underhood light which is powered when the lights are on and the hood is up. There’s a glass bulb with a liquid (mercury??) which makes the connection- much like old-timey house thermostats. Could be made to work on our cars. Hmmmm.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924...tch-wiring.html

IIRC, older Volvo 240s (early 1980s?) had a similar under hood light with a tilt/angle mercury switch. It also had a manual off switch just in case. Let me do some checking and I can find out how it was wired (key position, fuses, etc). I wouldn’t think I would have to have the lights on for a trunk/frunk light to work.
anderssj
As promised, a couple of figures from the Volvo technical manual showing how hood and trunk lights were wired on 1985 2-series cars. Wiring was fused but always "hot," even with key out. Both lights used a tilt-type mercury switch as shown in the second drawing.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.