Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Only slightly OT: Remember, sometimes it is the easy things.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I recently put toes into another 1970's mid engine car which hasn't been fully on-song since I bought it. Basically it has just felt like it’s been down on power and more lumpy than it's usual rough low idle characteristic. Immediately started thinking "It's the Webers" but then your coaching here kicked-in.

I ordered a new 123Ignition distributor to make sure I have good spark before diving into the Webers but in the back of my head I knew I needed to check everything else before trying to dial the carbs in.

When I was cleaning engine compartment and generally looking everything over after a highway run I almost got burned by how hot the negative battery lead that connects to ground was, which obviously triggered some thoughts that I had a bad grounding resistance issue.

Existing negative battery terminal lead off and in the trash bin, new replacement cable installed. Cleaned the grounding point and washer/nut fasteners, as if I had to eat off them, used a bit of dielectric grease, and then reconnected at all.

Holy cow! Instant improvement. I swear it feels like I found 20 to 30+ more horsepower. On the road she pulls noticeably more strongly and upper RPM range feels more free, idle is much smoother and she was more eager to rev.

We all know that good grounds are important but I have to say I was kind of shocked at how big of a difference fixing the ground issue made. Anyway, not going to be new-news to anyone here but seemed worth posting as a reminder.
Chris914n6
Different but same.

Dropped the engine to do a few things. About 2 months later it's back in. It's running but high idle and pinging. I'm thinking vacuum leak so I start pinching hoses and spraying carb cleaner. Evantually it sputters and dies... out of gas.

2 gallons of fresh gas in and all the problems disappear. I'm starting to realize our new standard gas (E10) has the shelf life of milk. Rusted my perfectly good gas tank too.
brant
Pump gas barely lasts 2 weeks.
Crap!

Luckily the station only 2 miles away started carrying ethanol free this year
Tdskip
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 17 2021, 05:51 PM) *

Different but same.

Dropped the engine to do a few things. About 2 months later it's back in. It's running but high idle and pinging. I'm thinking vacuum leak so I start pinching hoses and spraying carb cleaner. Evantually it sputters and dies... out of gas.

2 gallons of fresh gas in and all the problems disappear. I'm starting to realize our new standard gas (E10) has the shelf life of milk. Rusted my perfectly good gas tank too.

Glad it was that simple, but sure is pretty frustrating up to the point you realize it just needed fresh gas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.