Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: valve cover mod question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mobymutt
I've added the full gasket containment strips to my spare set of valve covers, so they now look like this:

Click to view attachment

However, I see that the heads, where they mate to the covers, are notched out to clear the rocker arms:

Click to view attachment

Do I need to notch the new strips on the valve covers somehow to match? I am concerned they will interfere with the rockers arms (especially as I wasn't able to get the bends super-tight in the corners).

Thank you in advance!
Matt
Dustin
Why add this? Millions of type 4 engines on the road in the past 50 years. Gaskets working just fine.
jcd914
QUOTE(Dustin @ Sep 17 2021, 05:20 PM) *

Why add this? Millions of type 4 engines on the road in the past 50 years. Gaskets working just fine.

It is not uncommon mode for race engines especially if built for high rpm.
The crankcase pressure and the oil build up in the heads can push the gasket out of place or suck it in.
We usually only added tabs in several places rather than the long strips all the way around.

I believe the the machined cutouts are actually to allow the push rod tubes to be removes/installed and are not for clearance for the rocker.

Test fit the cover with some modeling clay on the metal strip and term the engine over by hand or turn the engine slowly.

Jim
mobymutt
Great, thanks Jim!

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Sep 18 2021, 01:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Dustin @ Sep 17 2021, 05:20 PM) *

It is not uncommon mode for race engines especially if built for high rpm.
The crankcase pressure and the oil build up in the heads can push the gasket out of place or suck it in.
We usually only added tabs in several places rather than the long strips all the way around.

I believe the the machined cutouts are actually to allow the push rod tubes to be removes/installed and are not for clearance for the rocker.

Test fit the cover with some modeling clay on the metal strip and term the engine over by hand or turn the engine slowly.

Jim

Mikey914
Is it just me, but those rockers don't look stock?
I'd say yes, there is reduced clearance, I'd do the mod and trim the gasket accordingly.
Mark
SirAndy
Another comment from the peanut gallery:

Those "spot" welds don't look like they penetrated well. I'd be worried about one of those shiny little metal pearls to come lose and make its way where it doesn't belong.

popcorn[1].gif

Ansbacher
If the label on the can says "worms", don't open it up.

Ansbacher
mobymutt
Are we talking peanuts or worms here? smile.gif

The welds are solid -- because I didn't do them, haha.
Literati914
I like it, will be doing similar at some point… ‘cause anything to help a type IV leak less is worth doing, especially something so simple, JMHO. I’d definitely notch that area though.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.