Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joec
I am relocating the fuel pump to the front of the car below the gas tank. I am using a bosch fuel pump #69133. Will I need a fuel pressure regulator?
Dustin
Is there some reason you think you wouldn't need a fuel pressure regulator?

You should have one already.
Joec
The car hasn't run in many years, most of the fuel lines are missing but there is an aftermarket adjustable fuel pressure regulator on the car along with a gauge both which don't look like they belong. When I look at the 914 schematic of the fuel system I don't see a fuel pressure regulator. Is that because using a stock fuel pump would provide the proper pressure?
yellowporky
Carbs or stock fuel injection?
914werke
agree.gif Context!
jcd914
The bosch pump #69133 is a high pressure fuel injection pump and you will need a pressure regulator.

If you are using carbs you need a different pump.

If you are using a stock FI it would have had a pressure regulator at the driver side rear of the engine compartment, last component in the fuel loop on the engine.
An aftermarket pressure regulator can be used if it has the proper pressure range.
If you install a pressure gauge in the engine compartment make sure it is high quality, engine fires are nasty.

Jim
Joec
It is fuel injection
Joec
What should the fuel pressure be?

Suggestions for a pressure regulator?
jcd914
welcome.png

It depends on the fuel injection type, D-jet is 29 psi I believe and L-jet has 2 pressure checks, running at idle with vacuum hose connected and without the vacuum hose connected, I don't remember the specs.

From your description it sounds like you will be going through the whole injection system.

Good Luck
Jim
Joec
It is a 1974 2.0, D jetronic fuel injection I believe.
Joec
Found the oem pressure regulator, disconnected for some reason. Any reason not to use it? are they prone to failure?
Tdskip
QUOTE(Joec @ Sep 19 2021, 01:23 PM) *

Found the oem pressure regulator, disconnected for some reason. Any reason not to use it? are they prone to failure?

Generally these are very reliable, now what has happen to your over the past 45+ years may be a different thing. You can always run it and check it with a pressure gauge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.