Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How are they installed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Speedo
Are you supposed to tap on the end of the plastic rivet to drive the face into the hole?Click to view attachment
jcd914
I used a 5mm deep 1/4 drive socket on a screwdriver type handle to go over the pin and press on the body of the clip. Once seated you can then push the pin in to lock it in-place.

The o-ring seems like a good idea but I had some trouble seating the clip solid to the frame. I had a mix of clips with the o-ring and without and preferred how the clips without the o-ring seated but they all held the trim in place.

Jim
Cairo94507
Yes. They go with the spread legs in the hole and then you push the pin in so it is flat. beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
I’ve purchased several sets of genuine Porsche clips and have never seen any with O rings. I too use a deep well socket on a handle smile.gif , works like a charm. Take care driving the pin in squarely and use a small plastic face hammer
Mikey914
The O rings allow for a little more flexibility as these are a pain if you break one off trying to install the chrome with the window in.
jcd914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 18 2021, 11:19 PM) *

The O rings allow for a little more flexibility as these are a pain if you break one off trying to install the chrome with the window in.

They also reduced the clamping pressure on the trim and it is not as tightly held in place.
I don't think it is loose but I have a mix of clips and the clips with O-rings are definitely a little looser.
But none of the clips with O-rings broke which some of mine without O-ring did break, that how I ended up with a mix.
Thankfully I only had my windshield sitting on cardboard and thin wood blocks to position the windshield and test fit the trim, when I broke the clips.

Jim
Speedo
Ok...will install as suggested. Now the question is...the two 2" rubber spacers included with the butyl tape...where are they positioned? Symmetrically in front of the wipers? And their purpose is to shim the windshield up 1/8th so it doesn't sit on metal?
rbzymek
They are placed along the top of the outboard clips on either side of the windshield (between the clip and the edge of the glass). The purpose is to allow some space for the clip to deflect and let the trim snap in place. Make sure you test fit the windshield without the butyl and with the spacers so you can position and mark it with masking tape.
Speedo
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Sep 19 2021, 06:04 AM) *

They are placed along the top of the outboard clips on either side of the windshield (between the clip and the edge of the glass). The purpose is to allow some space for the clip to deflect and let the trim snap in place. Make sure you test fit the windshield without the butyl and with the spacers so you can position and mark it with masking tape.

Ok, Thanks for responding...I am having a hard time visualizing. I will take a picture of my windshield opening and maybe someone can creatively show me where these go...
Speedo
Here...where do these guys go?
Click to view attachment
Shivers
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&pid=932035

This what you mean
Speedo
So I started to install the clips and the first one exploded. No big deal I thought...looks like there are plenty and extras. Next 18 went smoothly, but unfortunately there were only 19 in the bag. So I am one short...bummer. Oh well. I'll order more tomorrow. Meanwhile I can set the windshield in place and use the tape idea to position it. After watching the glass install videos, I'm still not clear where the spacers go. I went with some wooden shims to lift the glass off of the lower channel to best center it vertically.
I'm getting the impression the butyl needs to line up with the inboard edge of the seam.Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
The rubber setting blocks need to be in there permanently. They support the glass from bearing on the chassis due to gravity.
Speedo
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Sep 19 2021, 01:17 PM) *

The rubber setting blocks need to be in there permanently. They support the glass from bearing on the chassis due to gravity.

Ok..ok..ok
I just need a picture as to their position and orientation. Can someone please draw on my photo as to the correct positioning?
IronHillRestorations
I put the rubber blocks 1/3 of the way across from each lower corner. Be sure to install a new dash to windshield seal (use contact cement on it)
Mikey914
Ian just dropped a new install video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caoslhYlE1U
IronHillRestorations
If you had one “explode”, trash them and get the right ones. I’ve never had a factory clip break on installation. If they break when you install the trim, you’ll probably say some bad words
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Sep 18 2021, 04:07 PM) *

I used a 5mm deep 1/4 drive socket on a screwdriver type handle to go over the pin and press on the body of the clip. Once seated you can then push the pin in to lock it in-place.

The o-ring seems like a good idea but I had some trouble seating the clip solid to the frame. I had a mix of clips with the o-ring and without and preferred how the clips without the o-ring seated but they all held the trim in place.

Jim

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.