Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: door handle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slotty008
The drivers door handle of my '75 2.0 doesn't work. I can open the door from the inside but not from the outside. With the door open everything works fine. I took out the door handle with the lock , looks OK to me , but the cam actuator bends a little bit when I pull the handle. Would new cam actuators do the trick or could there be another reason? confused24.gif
URY914
QUOTE(slotty008 @ Sep 19 2021, 06:23 AM) *

The drivers door handle of my '75 2.0 doesn't work. I can open the door from the inside but not from the outside. With the door open everything works fine. I took out the door handle with the lock , looks OK to me , but the cam actuator bends a little bit when I pull the handle. Would new cam actuators do the trick or could there be another reason? confused24.gif

Yes it is the plastic slider that needs to be replaced, Old ones break and new ones are too soft and will bend sometimes.
914sgofast2
You also need to remove the latch mechanism and clean and relubricate it. When the mechanism gets difficult to operate due to 50 years of grease, dirt and grime, they start breaking and bending the plastic door handle actuator.
Steve
After removing the lock/handle, you should be able to easily push the mechanism through the opening and open the door.. if the mechanism is tight, remove the door panel and soak everything with WD40, while moving all the mechanisms, including inside door lock and handle.
slotty008
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 19 2021, 05:28 PM) *

After removing the lock/handle, you should be able to easily push the mechanism through the opening and open the door.. if the mechanism is tight, remove the door panel and soak everything with WD40, while moving all the mechanisms, including inside door lock and handle.

I did all of the above with no result. So I will order new actuators (Mikey has all the stuff I need). Thanks to all of you for your advice.
Tdskip
QUOTE(slotty008 @ Sep 19 2021, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 19 2021, 05:28 PM) *

I did all of the above with no result. So I will order new actuators (Mikey has all the stuff I need). Thanks to all of you for your advice.

That will take care of it.
930cabman
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Sep 19 2021, 10:22 AM) *

You also need to remove the latch mechanism and clean and relubricate it. When the mechanism gets difficult to operate due to 50 years of grease, dirt and grime, they start breaking and bending the plastic door handle actuator.

Exactly. Remove the door interior panel and get the latching/lock mechanism out and on the bench. Remove all the 50 years old crud and lubricate the moving parts with engine oil. A new plastic actuator should get things back on track
URY914
It's not just the door handle that may be the problem. You need to remove the latch mechanism from the door and clean that and lube it too. Also if the car has rust and is sagging the door can be out alinement. The handle is the weakest link but could it the first sign of larger issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.