Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tom's 1970 914-4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tking327
Hello

Im restoring a pretty crusty 1970 914-4 1.7L that I can tell sat for a long time. It doesnt run but we broke the engine free of a little rust in cylinder(s) by putting some oil in the spark plug holes then pushing the car in 5th. I followed paul and others advice and It's turning smoothly when we connect battery direct to starter. Compression seems pretty good or hopefully at least good enough to start it we hope-- between 82 and 120 psi. We replaced all the cracked old vacuum lines and fuel lines- they were bad. Soaked the fuel injectors in gas and got the little shiny spring loaded pin at the tip of each injector to slightly depress in and out as I suspect they should?. Replaced the spark plugs. Getting ready to try starting it.

Problem, the ignition lock cylinder and key were missing so we got new one online and snapped it in. its a chinsey seeming part, plastic chrome colored thing. Could not find a nicer one online. We also replaced all the fuses in the cockpit. When we turned the key the only thing that happened is the horn sounded. The engine does not turn. Connections to a brand new battery are fresh. I know the starter and solenoid are good, as are the relevant connections to those.

Ideas? Bad Relay? Other fuses elsewhere?

Different question: assuming we can get the key to turn the engine, then what startup process should i follow? Just put some gas in the tank (after i verify tank is clean inside?) Should I prime other parts of the fuel system? Is there a way to clean out the fuel injector hole where fuel sprays from with like a very fine wire or something? One of them seemed flat out rusty, not good I assume, but gas soaking and WD40 seemed to release the spring loaded pin. Still worried about possible blockage but thats speculaton until I try the start.

Thanks!
Tom

Rand
Sounds like a wire shorting to ground under the steering wheel horn cover. That's how the horn triggers.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 20 2021, 06:11 PM) *

Sounds like a wire shorting to ground under the steering wheel horn cover. That's how the horn triggers.

agree.gif

Take the wheel cover off and inspect the boot and wiring
emerygt350
I would stick with starter fluid first, that way you know it runs. Then try the injectors/fuel system. If it runs on starter fluid it tells you the ignition system is ok.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.