Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxster console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Anyone have any pictures of what has been done for a console that works with the 6 speed Boxster setup?

If I use the Boxster console, looks like I would have to somehow patch in where the electricals were, and the handbrake.

To get it to set back far enough, I would probably have to cut about 3" off the bottom of the center backpad, but then may not be able to open the console door, or take a section out of the length of the console. How easy is it to mend it back together and make it look like something?

Also, will the factory rear sway bar, fit if using the 6 speed boxster trans?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

ClayPerrine
I have not put a console around my shifter yet. I used the stock 914 center box raised up with a 1/2 inch piece of plywood to let the shift cables go under it.

Mine is not a V-8 car, so the trans may sit farther forward, but my car has a stock rear sway bar.

Hope that helps,

Clay
Chris914n6
Plenty of room for the sway bar.

You'd probably be better off just making a center console. Then you can add cup holders, hidden compartments, whatever.
dwillouby
This is what I did

Ls2 with Boxster S.

Local custom shop made console.

DavidClick to view attachment
partwerks
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Sep 24 2021, 06:33 AM) *

This is what I did

Ls2 with Boxster S.

That looks nice.
How much did something like that set you back, if I might ask?
Does it have a place to throw odds and ends, in?
djway
I have been considering the intake setup you have. You may have convinced me.
Gearup
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 22 2021, 05:58 PM) *

Anyone have any pictures of what has been done for a console that works with the 6 speed Boxster setup?

If I use the Boxster console, looks like I would have to somehow patch in where the electricals were, and the handbrake.

To get it to set back far enough, I would probably have to cut about 3" off the bottom of the center backpad, but then may not be able to open the console door, or take a section out of the length of the console. How easy is it to mend it back together and make it look like something?

Nice looking setup. Is that an LS with a holly intake? Are those Renegade adapter Parts?
Brett
tygaboy
I have a custom tunnel frame and console but the same idea would work: all you need is a shifter stand that puts the lever where you'd like it. In my case, it's up a bunch and fairly close to the steering wheel, in terms of fore/aft.
This is a Numeric shifter with their cables, which in this case are stock length. They offer shorter or longer, or at least they did.
I opted to run the cables exposed, running on top of the console. IMO, it fits the vibe of my build.
Hope this helps.
partwerks
QUOTE(Gearup @ Sep 24 2021, 09:04 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 22 2021, 05:58 PM) *

Nice looking setup. Is that an LS with a holly intake? Are those Renegade adapter Parts?
Brett

It's an LS3 with a hot cam. Holley intake, with 90 degree elbow. You have to use aftermarket fuel rails also. Otherwise you won't be able to close the casket lid.

I got the adapter plate, clutch and pressure plate from Eric at: http://www.kitcarchassis.com/
Much easier on the pocket book.
I think you can have the hole for an LS starter, or go with the one he sells with it.

I got the motor mount bar and trans bracket from Renegade.
I think I could have used my old motor mount bar, but wanted to make sure that it was sitting correctly so it would sit low enough, (the intake) since they have already pioneered the way.
partwerks
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 24 2021, 09:45 PM) *

I have a custom tunnel frame and console but the same idea would work: all you need is a shifter stand that puts the lever where you'd like it. In my case, it's up a bunch and fairly close to the steering wheel, in terms of fore/aft.
This is a Numeric shifter with their cables, which in this case are stock length. They offer shorter or longer, or at least they did.
I opted to run the cables exposed, running on top of the console. IMO, it fits the vibe of my build.
Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, I was limited by the length of the cables. I wish I could shrink them a couple inches, but need to drive it to see how it feels.
I did put this gadget in the shifter: http://www.function-first.com/products/eng...-right-solution

If I could have used the 987 cables, I could have used those shifter ends they make, but those cables were about another 3" longer yet.

I would imagine there is someone out there that could make a custom length cable?

I don't have access to making my own stuff, and have to do like most people, and hire it out.
In a perfect world, if a person could do all their own work would be cheaper, and would be more in control of your own work, and no blame game.

The mufflers are going to be the next hurdle. Not much room. Any suggestions for mufflers?
tygaboy
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 25 2021, 08:55 PM) *

The mufflers are going to be the next hurdle. Not much room. Any suggestions for mufflers?

I have no trunk floor so I had more options but my current set up would likely work, in terms of the muffler location (ignore my headers!).
I used the Boxster muffler mounts at the back of the trans and made up a mount/hanger that supports each muffler.
I have the CAD file for all of this and could make you a basic mount "frame" that your local shop could tweak for your use. You pay for materials and shipping.
PM me if that could be a help.
partwerks
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 22 2021, 07:36 PM) *

Plenty of room for the sway bar.

You'd probably be better off just making a center console. Then you can add cup holders, hidden compartments, whatever.

I was able to get the sway bar in there.

Click to view attachment
dwillouby
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 24 2021, 06:59 PM) *

QUOTE(dwillouby @ Sep 24 2021, 06:33 AM) *

This is what I did

Ls2 with Boxster S.

That looks nice.
How much did something like that set you back, if I might ask?
Does it have a place to throw odds and ends, in?

The shop charged me $700. dry.gif Decided not to add storage as would increase cost.
David
tygaboy
Lyle - Here's the factory muffler bracket that bolts to the rear of your Boxster S, G86-20 trans. Your guy could use this and make a cross brace that bolts to those slotted holes at the top and supports a muffler on each end.
partwerks
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 29 2021, 12:21 PM) *

Lyle - Here's the factory muffler bracket that bolts to the rear of your Boxster S, G86-20 trans. Your guy could use this and make a cross brace that bolts to those slotted holes at the top and supports a muffler on each end.

I presume that is made out of aluminum?
tygaboy
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 29 2021, 02:37 PM) *

Yes, aluminum.
partwerks
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 29 2021, 01:37 PM) *

I can't tell how wide that top part of the bracket is, but I have about 3" between the back of the trans, and that sheet metal behind it. I would assume there is clearance?
djway
I got the adapter plate, clutch and pressure plate from Eric at: http://www.kitcarchassis.com/
I think you can have the hole for an LS starter, or go with the one he sells with it.

What is the price for the adapter? The web site doesn't even list the boxter adapter being completed.
partwerks
QUOTE(djway @ Sep 29 2021, 06:46 PM) *

What is the price for the adapter? The web site doesn't even list the boxter adapter being completed.

I don't recall. I'm reworking some X mechanic stuff, and started this in Sept of 2014, and don't recall off the top. He's cheaper than Kennedy. I can tell you that!

214-606-2457 is his number. Eric is his first name. I think he can put the hole for a LS starter in if you want also, rather than that other one he offers.
ClayPerrine
Here is my shifter setup for the Cayman 6 speed.

IPB Image

I am going to build a console around it with a cupholder, 12v power, and two USB ports.

Clay
The Double S
Clay it looks like you have an aftermarket short shifter? How do you like that?

Anyone else have an opinion on stock vs. short shift?
The Double S
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 29 2021, 08:10 PM) *

I don't recall. I'm reworking some X mechanic stuff, and started this in Sept of 2014, and don't recall off the top. He's cheaper than Kennedy. I can tell you that!

214-606-2457 is his number. Eric is his first name. I think he can put the hole for a LS starter in if you want also, rather than that other one he offers.

Thank you for this info! I was looking at Kennedy, especially because I live somewhat close to them, and had to pause my purchase because of the cost.

Did quality seem any different from any of the other builds out there?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(The Double S @ Oct 1 2021, 10:48 AM) *

Clay it looks like you have an aftermarket short shifter? How do you like that?

I bought the short shift kit, and when I put it it in, it was way too close to the floor, and way too stiff to shift. So I took it apart and welded on a 914 shifter handle. Then I put on the custom 6 speed knob I made. Once I get a console in there, it will look somewhat stock.

Clay
VegasRacer
QUOTE(The Double S @ Oct 1 2021, 08:48 AM) *

I have had both on my stock 987.2 Cayman S and R.

The short shift is quicker and had a noticeably shorter throw. It is very much like a rifle bolt action.

Surprisingly, I like the stock shifter better because ii is much smoother for me. YMMV
(the car is already faster than I am. My job is to drive it smoothly. . . . . )
Gearup
QUOTE(The Double S @ Oct 1 2021, 07:56 AM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 29 2021, 08:10 PM) *

Thank you for this info! I was looking at Kennedy, especially because I live somewhat close to them, and had to pause my purchase because of the cost.

Did quality seem any different from any of the other builds out there?

I got my adapter and spec clutch from Stuttgart Muscle. Great pricing and superbly made adapter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.