Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would you do - Okteenerbound
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
Well I set out a goal to have the car ready for Okteenerfest. I have never been so this would be my first time. I had planned to take the 77 targa on a Rally earlier this year, but my plans got bumped.

Does the 914 run? Yes
Does the 914 leak tons of oil while running? Yes
Does the 914 spray oil all over my nice bits the more I drive? Yes
Can it drive for a 5 hour tour? Unknown, it is not fully tuned and I was reaching 220 temps in a 20 minute drive
Can it drive 30 mins and be ok besides cleaning up a bunch of oil? Yes
Does the engine need to be dropped in order to address possible through bolt and camshaft seal leak? Yes

Is the 77 Targa ready to do the trip by itself without a trailer? Yes

So do I...

Trailer up the teener just to be able to drive for a tiny bit on Friday, just to say I had my 914 there?

OR

Do I drive the 77 down which at one time had a 76 914 engine in it and be able to enjoy not only the road trip down, but also the drive on Friday?

What would you do in my situ?
rgolia
Drive the 77 and enjoy the ride piratenanner.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(rgolia @ Sep 23 2021, 09:09 AM) *

Drive the 77 and enjoy the ride piratenanner.gif

agree.gif

Good luck, Nick. Been following your adventure. You've made great progress in a short amount of time, but I agree with Ralph here. If it were me I'd be stressed the whole time with the teener, especially that many hours from home.
mepstein
Drive the 77. You will have just as much fun and it will be a pleasure trip instead of a worry every mile.
Craigers17
You're gonna have great weather. Drive the '77, take off the targa, enjoy the twisties, the people, & the other 914's, ...without the stress.
Shivers
You've put out a herculean effort to get your 914 ready...But even your teener would want you to have a good time. Take the tail dragger, have some fun and blow them away next year with the 914.
nditiz1
Thanks all!

I appreciate the input and support of this group. I will keep the teener at home.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Shivers @ Sep 23 2021, 09:36 AM) *

You've put out a herculean effort to get your 914 ready...But even your teener would want you to have a good time. Take the tail dragger, have some fun and blow them away next year with the 914.

agree.gif
iankarr
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 23 2021, 09:27 AM) *

Drive the 77. You will have just as much fun and it will be a pleasure trip instead of a worry every mile.

1000 percent this.

Congrats on getting your 914 running. It's a huge accomplishment. My BB fired up for the first time in July and I'm just now getting it fully dialed in. These things take time and Okteenerfest is first and foremost about the people/community. Take pics of your 914 along with you and enjoy the 77. Wish I could go!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.