Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Retractable Headlights & High Beam Issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MFejsa
Hi, need some serious help. See below issues.

1. Cannot get high beams to work and power to the fuse. Low beams are working

2. When the engine is running cant get the retractable lights to come up. When the engine not running, the retractable lights come up and lights work.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Regards

Michael
Mikey914
Will the lights come on when the key is in the running position, engine not running. They should work then, but in accessory position no it will not raise.
If so that is normal.
For high beams I suspect fuse, switch or relay issue. Hopefully not switch.
jrmdir
For problem #2 I can't think of anything about the engine running or not that would impact the headlights. Sorry.

But for #1, check the Combination Relay. You need to take out the two screws that hold the fuse panel and look at the back of it. There are several round relays and one square. (at least on my '73 1.7) The square one switches between High and Low beams when you pull back on the turn signal lever.

It has a large Red/White wire that comes from the Light Switch. And two other large wires, one White and one Yellow. They send power to the high and low fuses (#1 and #2) and then on to the headlights. Check to see if power is coming out of both those terminals on the relay when you switch back and forth.

There is another small Red/Yellow wire on the relay that is the control signal from the lever. Grounding that terminal should switch from high to low and back and the relay will click. If not, either the relay or the lever switch in the steering column are suspect.

Ron
MFejsa

Hi Ron,

I've checked the Combination Relay and even replaced it with a new one.

For the 2 large wires (yellow and white) there is power coming out of both but still cant get power to fuses 1 & 2. Can only get power to the low beam fuses #3 & 4.

I have seen the 914world some posting that yellow goes to 56a and white to 56b on the relay but other photos if seen on blogs its the other way around like mine.

Can you let me know what is correct with the yellow and white wires?

I have also replaced the lever switch in the steering column with a new one so this should not be causing the problem.

Michael
MFejsa
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 23 2021, 08:54 PM) *

Will the lights come on when the key is in the running position, engine not running. They should work then, but in accessory position no it will not raise.
If so that is normal.
For high beams I suspect fuse, switch or relay issue. Hopefully not switch.

1. When the key is on accessories position, the lights (low beam) work and come up. When the engine is running I am unable to get the lights to retract to upright position.

2. When the low beam are on, I cannot get the high beams to work when I flick the light switch to operate high beam. Also no power come to or out of fuses #1 & 2. Ive replaced the headlight relay with new one, and also the light switch level is new.

Dont understand why cant get power to fuses as I have power in yellow & white wires from headlight relay.

Can you confirm if yellow wire goes to 56a or 56b on the relay?
jrmdir
Coincidentally I was chasing a problem with the relay this week and still have everything opened up. See photos below.

There is no 56"b" on my relay, just 56, which is the power input from the light switch via the red/white wire. The yellow and white (low/high) wires attach to 56a and F. These can be interchanged with no problem since all the relay does is switch back and forth between the two on each pull of the lever. You can test this at the relay by disconnecting the red/yellow control wire from "S" and connecting S to ground momentarily with a jumper. This is all that the column lever switch does. With the lights and key on, you should see +12 from the red/white wire and +12 alternating between yellow and white on each click.

But the other thing you mentioned is that you have power at the relay but not at the fuses. The last photo shows that there are straight connections between the two so if you really are seeing what you describe it could only be a broken wire or bad connection in that short run. Make sure the connection to the top of the fuses are tight.

Hope this helps.

Ron

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

MFejsa
Thank you Ron for sparing your time to write that up and attached pics.

My relay is the same although F is not there and has 56b & 56a (attached). They both work the same way.

I will be taking a look at the wiring as you advised as am unable to explain any problem with the relay which I have also swapped out to a new one.

I got the car 12 months ago and have never drove it. Ive discovered a lot of electrical issue and slowly and resolving one by one.

Much appreciated. Will let you know how I go.

CheersClick to view attachment
MFejsa
Hi Ron, here is the latest.

1. I’ve jumped the red/yellow wire and can not get power to the white wire and can not get high beams to work

2. I can get power to the red wire going to the headlight relay and can get power to the yellow wire at the relay and the low beams work but when I flick the light switch to activate the high beam nothing happens and no power to fuses #1 & 2.

3. When I pull the light switch to try and get high beams to work, the horn sounds momentarily and when I indicate left or right the horn sounds sometimes. I think its grounding somewhere in the steering column?

4. Also, I managed to get the hazard light to work yesterday morning and today when I tried it out again, Its not working. I checked all the wiring against wiring diagram for the hazard light switch and correct wires are in the correct connectors

Could it be an issue with the relay board (T14) connector in the engine bay?

Your advice would be highly appreciated as Im confused and don’t know how else to approach it.

Regards
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.