Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Temp Gauge Wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LefthandRev
First off, before it gets suggested, I do have a taco plate.

The center console was deleted from my car. I bought one of the VDO replicas from Auto Atlanta. I've clipped the pertinent part of the wiring diagram and pasted it below.

I have attached Green/Black to the "G" terminal.
I attached Red/White to the "+" terminal.
I attached Brown (ground) to the "-" terminal.

I cannot find a Black/Blue for the light, but I can deal with that later.

The temp gauge isn't moving. Not sure what the deal is. My next step is to test continuity between the plate and the terminal behind the battery. Then from there to the interior.

Are my connections above correct? Anybody have a picture of the back of their connected Oil Temp gauge they can share with me?

IPB Image

Thanks!
914Sixer
You have to make sure the sending unit at bottom of engine has wire connected to plug under battery tray. Are you using a factory console harness?
IronHillRestorations
You are correct on the gauge connections. Make sure the sender wire is properly connected below the battery tray. There’s a single wire spade connector with a clear housing (when new it was clear, it’s probably yellow/tan now). Then trace the wire to the round plate on the left front bottom of the engine.

You can test the wire continuity from the connector to the gauge with a cheap ohm meter , as well as the resistance of the temp sender (I don’t know what the value is)
LefthandRev
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Sep 23 2021, 02:23 PM) *

You are correct on the gauge connections. Make sure the sender wire is properly connected below the battery tray. There’s a single wire spade connector with a clear housing (when new it was clear, it’s probably yellow/tan now). Then trace the wire to the round plate on the left front bottom of the engine.

You can test the wire continuity from the connector to the gauge with a cheap ohm meter , as well as the resistance of the temp sender (I don’t know what the value is)

Thanks - that's what I needed to see.
LefthandRev
Oof. No idea what's up here, but I have continuity to the cabin, I have about 1k resistance to ground from the sending unit. Red/White sends correct power. Ground is grounded.

Nothing happening at the gauge. Is the blue/black required? Figured that was just for the light.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.