Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Salty Resurrection Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jsayre914
I have not checked in here in over 6 years (sorry). Since the Blowout. (car not me). I hope everyone is doing well and I would love to hear from friends, old and new. Cleaning out the garage today and I remembered I had a 914 sitting in there. Car is currently in Maryland (with me) engine, transmission etc. still In York PA 6 years later.... I have not even looked at my car for those six years. I just pulled the car out of the garage with my pickup truck. Go figure it would rain for the next 48hrs. I need to do something with it.

Now I have to decide its fate.....

No reason to keep a car that NEVER Moves...

Options are

1) sell it
2) part it out
3) put a new engine in and see what new problems there are
4) make it into a flower bed
5) wear a mask and drop it off at Zach's house 3am

*p.s. I miss you guys
beerchug.gif beer3.gif poke.gif hissyfit.gif blink.gif

**p.p.s. for those peeps that don't know me
I am just as nuts as anyone here....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...blogid=484&

mepstein
Joseph- Good to have you back. If I can help you with anything, just let me know. beerchug.gif mark
jsayre914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 23 2021, 04:51 PM) *

Joseph- Good to have you back. If I can help you with anything, just let me know. beerchug.gif mark

I might just take you up on that offer laugh.gif
Mikey914

You do realize that if you drive it you’ll keep it biggrin.gif
Prices haven’t went down, so you should be ok there.
Welcome back
SirAndy
I vote for #5

ninja.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 23 2021, 04:44 PM) *

Prove it by putting it back on the road. laugh.gif
rmital
looking through your Blog....the good old days....the "Knights Inn".
Hershey Mid-Engine Invasions...all parked together.
fun times.

I'm looking for a titled shell, so if option 1 becomes a reality, PM me
(before you dump it at Zach's place) poke.gif
Cairo94507
Welcome back. That looks like a nice car to get back on the road. We all have "stuff" that happens in life that changes our car schedules. Stick with it and you will be smiling when driving soon enough. beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 23 2021, 09:19 PM) *

I vote for #5

ninja.gif

You would. Lol!

Joe called me about this yesterday. I wish I had the space to store it for him. But with my 914, the 2002 and the 72 Westy I'm restoring my garage is FULL. beer3.gif

I'll tell you all right now though Joe has excellent parts on this car - it just needs a motor.
Trans was rebuilt by Dr Evil. Tons of custom stereo stuff (shake the neighbors house kinda stuff). HID headlights. Tangerine headers. Restore 4 bolt Fuchs. Big huge alternator. Second Battery - how many 914s have multiple batteries?!

It just needs an engine Joe. You could be driving it again real soon. Blasting down snowstorms between York and Baltimore in no time

Zach
JmuRiz
HA, you’ve driven your 914 more recently than I have...don’t give up!!!
jsayre914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 23 2021, 04:51 PM) *

YES

HELP ME!!

I want this car on the road

I need all the help I can get

TYTYTY
jsayre914
I need to ......

Get my engine back from Translog (working)
empty the fuel because it has been in there since 2015
new tires
check the brakes and or repair
Drive it

oh yeah, get the mice out
jsayre914
Also want to pull rockers and look icon8.gif
get the bodywork done (not me)
and
Fresh Paint biggrin.gif

This is my bucket list.

anyone local wants to help
PM me
jsayre914
OPTION #6

FIX/ Restore

Drive

smilie_flagge24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jun 12 2022, 07:00 PM) *

OPTION #6

FIX/ Restore

Drive

smilie_flagge24.gif

burnout.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jun 13 2022, 01:52 PM) *

I need to ......

Get my engine back from Translog (working)
empty the fuel because it has been in there since 2015
new tires
check the brakes and or repair
Drive it

oh yeah, get the mice out

Yep get it driving looks like its worth it ,hope the mice didn't piss on your owners manual ? IMO that is war biggrin.gif ,had this with my rural property rats ,mice and rabbits ,great when I moved to the suburbs.
VaccaRabite
I forgot how bonkers this car was until going back through the blog pics.
Two batteries.
Three Amps.
A full on mixing board
145 (IIRC) amp alternator.

And Joe drove this car daily for years between York and Baltimore - HARD, in every weather imaginable.

This car needs to be saved, or at least moved over to a sound chassis if the old body is too far gone.

Zach
jsayre914
Hi everybody drunk.gif

This car is a 1973 914 and I drove the hell out of it, then it sat for years and years. I had it dropped off to Jared, here in Baltimore. " I dont know his handle here on the World" He has been chopping it up and replacing any and all rust with new metal. VERY nice guy. I have Tony @ Translog finishing my 2056, AND I dropped off all interior, seats, etc. to a local shop to make everything pretty driving.gif

I will start posting regular updates on this project here

For now I only have ugly pics sad.gif
jsayre914

I have not checked in here in over 6 years (sorry). Since the Blowout. (car not me). I hope everyone is doing well and I would love to hear from friends, old and new. Cleaning out the garage today and I remembered I had a 914 sitting in there. Car is currently in Maryland (with me) engine, transmission etc. still In York PA 6 years later.... I have not even looked at my car for those six years. I just pulled the car out of the garage with my pickup truck. Go figure it would rain for the next 48hrs. I need to do something with it.

Now I have to decide its fate.....

No reason to keep a car that NEVER Moves...

Options are

1) sell it
2) part it out
3) put a new engine in and see what new problems there are
4) make it into a flower bed
5) wear a mask and drop it off at Zach's house 3am

*p.s. I miss you guys
beerchug.gif beer3.gif poke.gif hissyfit.gif blink.gif

**p.p.s. for those peeps that don't know me

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...blogid=484&

I added option "6"

6) Completely Restore the car and drive the s*** out of it
jsayre914
smilie_pokal.gif popcorn[1].gif
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 23 2021, 07:19 PM) *

I vote for #5

ninja.gif

Ditto... agree.gif

Root_Werks
I would try to get it up and running again. 914's are getting harder to find and cost a lot more. You already have one! You're almost back in the drivers seat!

driving.gif
NARP74
Those pics make me cringe.
76-914
I'd check out the longs and other potential rust repairs before deciding which direction to proceed. beerchug.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 24 2021, 05:21 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 23 2021, 09:19 PM) *

I vote for #5

ninja.gif

You would. Lol!

Joe called me about this yesterday. I wish I had the space to store it for him. But with my 914, the 2002 and the 72 Westy I'm restoring my garage is FULL. beer3.gif

I'll tell you all right now though Joe has excellent parts on this car - it just needs a motor.
Trans was rebuilt by Dr Evil. Tons of custom stereo stuff (shake the neighbors house kinda stuff). HID headlights. Tangerine headers. Restore 4 bolt Fuchs. Big huge alternator. Second Battery - how many 914s have multiple batteries?!

It just needs an engine Joe. You could be driving it again real soon. Blasting down snowstorms between York and Baltimore in no time

Zach

Don't you have an extra motor headed your way?
Feel like you could make some space. poke.gif

Dion
Welcome back, glad you’re able to save it.
Look forward to your progress.
930cabman
You may want to change the name, although the name fits. Not being a downer, but finding another 914 currently roadable could be an option. Looks like a multi year project
TRS63
This is a big project but nothing that can't be saved !

Bests

Antoine
VaccaRabite
For those that don't remember Joe, when he says he "drove the hell out of it," that's putting things mildly.

He drove the car every day, weather be damned, between York PA and Baltimore City. Sun, rain, BLIZZARD. Didn't matter. And the car sat on a Baltimore city street every day while he worked. Car never had heat, and about once a year I'd get a call to be on standby while he limped it home.

I'm glad to see this car getting fixed! If it had sat any longer I was going to steal his headers. ph34r.gif bootyshake.gif

Zach
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(JamesM @ Mar 15 2023, 01:34 PM) *

Zach

I think Joe and I may have even talked about this last year. At this point I have multiple engines to choose from. My 2056 that coming out of my car (maybe this weekend) would be a viable engine for him, but I'd want to get a few things looked/freshened up first. And Joes car is getting body work done so he has time.

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Mar 16 2023, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Mar 15 2023, 01:34 PM) *

Zach

I think Joe and I may have even talked about this last year. At this point I have multiple engines to choose from. My 2056 that coming out of my car (maybe this weekend) would be a viable engine for him, but I'd want to get a few things looked/freshened up first. And Joes car is getting body work done so he has time.

Zach

Lots of time. biggrin.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 24 2021, 06:12 AM) *

Prove it by putting it back on the road. laugh.gif

+1 aktion035.gif
jaredmcginness
Glad to see you are posting about it on the World. Very excited to help with the project.

Joe's car is with me. I initially looked at the car last summer, I said I was happy to help with the rust repair - as usual - upon receiving the 914 the rust situation was found to be worse than expected. It IS a 914 afterall biggrin.gif

His car is getting braced and the longs cut into as I write this.

The short list, that's easier said than done:

-Full floor
-Tunnel repair
-Longs /sills
-Rear trunk floor
-Freshening up frunk
-Lower fire wall
-New bonnets
-Front window corners

75% of the new steel is on hand and we are well under way

I am confident I will help get Joe's memorable car back on the road, hopefully there wont be too many more surprises, haha
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Mar 15 2023, 09:22 AM) *

Those pics make me cringe.

I’m watching it rust in live feed
Root_Werks
Yay! Salty is getting fixed up!

Keep the pics coming!

welder.gif smash.gif
jsayre914
barf.gif

jsayre914
Sorry guys, haven't posted in a while, Zach is helping me biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jsayre914
AND

I didn't post any pictures of Weed.

beerchug.gif
jsayre914
piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
jsayre914
looking at my own blog, its hard to believe how fast these cars can rust. I PROMISE to never drive my teener in the snow EVER again.

lol-2.gif
jaredmcginness
You can drive it in the snow all you want, just don’t call me in 20 years! av-943.gif

Joe is the man and we are getting this car sorted. Now that it has a permanent parking spot in my garage, it should be a relatively quick process - as far as metal work goes.

And for any keen eyes, the last photo showing the new outer rocker... I am well aware it not positioned right, just giving Joe a teaser and some hope for the future.

Thanks guys!
Dr Evil
Wow, this brings back memories. Should change name from Salty to Crunchy. Glad this is getting resurrected smile.gif Hope alls well with you, Joe.
jsayre914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 20 2023, 01:00 PM) *

Wow, this brings back memories. Should change name from Salty to Crunchy. Glad this is getting resurrected smile.gif Hope alls well with you, Joe.

Do you ever make it to Baltimore?

Lunch on me, that would be fun. smile.gif

*yes Zach and everyone else is invited too.

beerchug.gif
TRS63
Happy to see it being saved and looking forward to nice metalwork -pictures!

Antoine
Root_Werks
Some great progress so quick, nice!

smash.gif

welder.gif
jsayre914
Jared does some amazing work!

The car has a little rust, I think it will buff right out. poke.gif
jsayre914
more....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.