Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking Injectors on my '73 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Next
Went out and started the 914 after 2.5 months storage. Fired up after a few cranks but when I backed it out of the garage realized I was leaking a fair amount of gas on both sides. Shut it down and noticed gas was leaking at injectors on both sides.

Have had zero issues until now. Just seems odd that I have leaks on both sides. Is it possible that there are seals that dried up? Any suggestions for diagnosing this? Bummer......

Steve
burlybryan
Just to clarify, is the leaking from the injector body or hose fitting?
914Next
QUOTE(burlybryan @ Sep 24 2021, 02:30 PM) *

Just to clarify, is the leaking from the injector body or hose fitting?

I'll take another look but it seemed like it was coming from underneath the injector itself. Just seems odd that at least 3, maybe all four are leaking when none were leaking before I parked it a couple of months ago.
mihai914
It's a common issue with cars in storage. The old rubber hoses tend to dry out and develop leaks.

I've had the same issue with fuel pumps, injectors and hoses on the 914 and other German cars.

Usually, the hose will swell back-up to specs and the leak will go away.

It's not a bad idea to verify if all hoses are nice and tight.

Having said that, at some point the hoses, o-rings or any rubber seal will just completely dry out and the best option is replacement.

If it leaks at the body, then it's game over.
JamesM
One of my 914s does this after sitting for a long time, a couple of the injectors start leaking from the body and while it is pretty unnerving after a minute or two of running they seem to seal back up and stay sealed for the rest of the season.

Ultimately you DONT want any sort of a fuel leak so replacement is the answer, but i do see them come back after some time under pressure with fuel.
914Next
Duplicate post
914Next
[quote name='914Next' post='2947923' date='Sep 24 2021, 03:29 PM']
Thanks, Here is a pic but I can't really tell from where the leak is coming. Just so odd that all would start leaking at once. I do have four new injectors if I need to go that route but I think I'll let it set for a day or so and see if they seal up any.

Click to view attachment
windforfun
I had a similar issue about 6 years ago. I was backing out of my driveway & noticed lots of gas on the ground. I replaced all the FI's & so far so good. I hate gasoline.
mepstein
I would put the new ones in and send the old ones out for cleaning/testing. Bob at Mr Injector does a great job for $18/per injector. They come back looking like new with a before and after flow report. He includes new seals.

They might seal up just fine and no harm done when the engine is cold but what happens when you get a leak with a hot engine. Your car is too nice to take chances.
emerygt350
Not much to leak on an injector unless the pin is stuck and the o ring is crispy. Even then most of it gets sucked in by the engine and your engine will idle real high due to the vacuum leak.

99 percent sure your hoses shrunk. Good sign you should replace them and the rings while your at it. 30 dollars and maybe an hour. Think of it as yoga.
914Next
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 24 2021, 06:01 PM) *

I would put the new ones in and send the old ones out for cleaning/testing. Bob at Mr Injector does a great job for $18/per injector. They come back looking like new with a before and after flow report. He includes new seals.

They might seal up just fine and no harm done when the engine is cold but what happens when you get a leak with a hot engine. Your car is too nice to take chances.

Thanks Mark, If I change them out are there other parts I'll need to be sure to have? I moved the car to Northern WI recently and don't know of a great mechanic yet. Want to have all the parts at the ready.

.....and is changing out the injectors very complicated? I'm in no way a mechanic but I'm very handy. Are they at all "plug and play"?
mepstein
Steve - It’s an easy project. Tangerine racing sells the curved hose that connects to the injector and new injector seals. It’s just a press fit and the circular clamp holds it in place.
JeffBowlsby
A great opportunity to remove a few parts and clean that engine bay up a little!
emerygt350
Don't go sending your injectors off for a rebuild. Try the easy, cheap, likely things first.
914Next
Thanks for the input everyone.....

Well, I've carefully started and ran the car now over a couple of days. Not driving.....just idling in the driveway. All but one of the injectors stopped leaking. The final one appears determined to keep leaking. Will try one more time tomorrow.

I have new nos injectors that I bought quite a few years ago. They have the cloth lines though and I noticed that the 914 Rubber site mentioned an HO campaign which replaced the cloth lines with rubber. Anyone know if I should be removing the cloth lines on these nos units and replacing with rubber ones?

If so....seems like I need new curved hose as well as inner and outer seals. Do I have that right? Most importantly, should I replace th cloth lines on the nos units?

Thanks
wonkipop
QUOTE(914Next @ Sep 26 2021, 05:01 PM) *

Thanks for the input everyone.....

Well, I've carefully started and ran the car now over a couple of days. Not driving.....just idling in the driveway. All but one of the injectors stopped leaking. The final one appears determined to keep leaking. Will try one more time tomorrow.

I have new nos injectors that I bought quite a few years ago. They have the cloth lines though and I noticed that the 914 Rubber site mentioned an HO campaign which replaced the cloth lines with rubber. Anyone know if I should be removing the cloth lines on these nos units and replacing with rubber ones?

If so....seems like I need new curved hose as well as inner and outer seals. Do I have that right? Most importantly, should I replace th cloth lines on the nos units?

Thanks

that recall might have been specific to 914s due to battery location and battery acid?
not sure.
cloth hose injectors seems to have remained standard for other VWs - others will know more and have other opinions.
mine always ran cloth hose injectors and the NOS set i have on now that i got hold of two years ago have cloth hose. i keep my eye on them but......and i have a set of rubber injector hoses stashed in case.
emerygt350
Just replace the elbow or at least swivel that clamp so you can reach it with a screw driver and then tighten it up.
JeffBowlsby
Cloth elbows are OEM, no need to replace them unles they are defective. Suggest tightening all the FI hose clamps from time to time, especially as we go into the cooler fall season which can tend to loosen them. Fall is also a good time to lube your distributor weights.

Recall campaign details are here:

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Recalls.htm
914Next
Thanks everyone. I was able to get two of the four injectors to stop leaking by just running the car at idle for 5 minutes or so over several days. One injector continued to leak so I ordered new upper and lower injector seals and replaced those on the offending injector. So far so good! I have new injectors but hoping that the originals are fine.....just some old and dried out seals that cost me a few bucks.

Input has been much appreciated.

Steve
r_towle
Perfect opportunity to put the car on jack stands, remove the motor and go all the way with the start of a restoration.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.