Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OTW to Billings to pick up a survivor with a story
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
So, picked up a basket case. When I say survivor I mean it will be a complete project. Motor issue, lots of rust.........but a very unique car.

It was a German delivery car to a service member serving in Germany. The cool thing is that it got brought back to the US after a few years. It actually has a passport! Along with so.e factory documents in German.

This will be my first in person view of it in the morning.

This car has seen way too much salt.

I originally planned to have Cary do the work, but it's becoming a father son project. Now I will help Taylor with his car and he can help me after.
Mikey914
OTW just out of Kennewick, WA.
Gonna be a long night

Just me, Taylor and Butters
bkrantz
Hmm, two out of three look a bit skeptical.
Cairo94507
I agree. Butters looks like the only one really prepared for the long trip. Very cool that you took your dog along for the trip. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
I got 3 more in utah..gotta go,, sold 4
gms
definitely an interesting car...I will send you the storage bill biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
The exchange in the parking lot at 4AM
Montreal914
Front side markers and rear US lenses? confused24.gif
BillJ
Makes sense if it was purchased as US spec but delivered in Europe through factory delivery program.
rick 918-S
Great to see you and finally get that car the rest of the way. Best and Worst day ever. Got home to104.4 deg temp. Gasping for air. Damn near went to the ER. made it thru the night. Doc on Monday.
76-914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 26 2021, 03:09 PM) *

Great to see you and finally get that car the rest of the way. Best and Worst day ever. Got home to104.4 deg temp. Gasping for air. Damn near went to the ER. made it thru the night. Doc on Monday.

That doesn't sound like something you want to put off Rick. shades.gif
worn
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 25 2021, 10:16 AM) *

The exchange in the parking lot at 4AM

That is your assurance that everything is in the up n up. Alternative is to have each sidewalk to the center of a bridge in the mist...
Cairo94507
I had to laugh that is happened at 0400. Like a drug deal....... beerchug.gif Glad it all went smoothly.
Shivers
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 27 2021, 06:17 AM) *

I had to laugh that is happened at 0400. Like a drug deal....... beerchug.gif Glad it all went smoothly.

lol-2.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif sad.gif With the prices I've seen the past few years, may not be far off.

What year is it?
Mikey914
We marathon'd it back and made the round trip in about 32 hours.

Some shots of the return
Mikey914
Almost home
Mikey914
This is why I call the car a survivor.

The documentation has been preserved. Lots of guys have a dealer window sticker. Not many have the "passport " and import documents. Along with a lot of records, some in German. Looks like it had been driven for a while before it was brought back. Judging from the sticker on the bumper the guy was Airforce.

@sirandy what's the rough tra station on the letter? Looks like some king of purchase document? Or an export statement?
Cairo94507
Man, that is very cool indeed. beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Going to give the car a full survey later (I'll post up some better pics soon) but the rust monster did get to it. But with this much history it was worth saving.
Mark
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 27 2021, 08:48 AM) *
@sirandy what's the rough tra station on the letter? Looks like some king of purchase document? Or an export statement?

Letter from the dealer to Charles talking about the shipping of the car. The two were friends, this letter is somewhat personal and not the typical formal language you would see from a dealership.

Dear Charles,
to ship the car with the shipping company (Scharbau) from Bremen will not be possible within the next 4-6 weeks because of all the [worker] strikes in the US.
I have sent the car using the company Brauns from Bremerhaven. Attached are the shipping documents.
The cost is about $70 more, but you will get the car to Detroit. The Bremen company Scharbau only sends cars to Toledo, which means you would have to pay extra to get the car from Toledo to Detroit.
The car will arrive on September 18th in Detroit. The ship is named "Sneland".
I hope this change is acceptable.
Again many thanks for all you have done for us.

About the repair bill for the car, the bumper was beyond repair. I have replaced it with a good used one from our stock. A 2nd mirror could not be sourced. I think everything else is good. I attached the repair bill and a bank statement.
I hope to hear from you soon.

Greetings, your friend
Johann Lohser

Attached:
Shipping documents
1 Invoice
1 Bank statement

SirAndy
The Kraftfahrzeugbrief is the original German document for the car that shows a record of ownership, time & date of first registration etc.

Sort of like a pink slip here in the US, but with some added functionality.
bye1.gif
Mikey914
Way cool. I was trying to make sense of the letter, that really helps.

I'm sure there is even more to the story on the car, I will be going through the stack of paperwork I got. most of it looks like service records, I thought the passport looking document was cool to.
SirAndy
The TÜV Norddeutschland is a document showing the results of the mandatory technical inspection by the TÜV.

The small card from the Bundespolizeidirektion Wien is a parking ticket from Vienna.

The Internationaler Zulassungsschein is a international registration passport.
This is a particular rare document as it was not needed for normal registration of a car in Germany.

The Kunden - Adresskarte is the customer address card from the factory (VW-Porsche)

The other document from the Zollamt Bremerhaven seems to be related to the shipping of the car. It received a special license plate "170-Z-1002" which i believe was only used for transport.
Mikey914
I was 3 years old when this shipped.
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 27 2021, 10:47 AM) *

The Kunden - Adresskarte is the customer address card from the factory (VW-Porsche)

@JeffBowlsby might be interested in this.

You don't see actual stuff from the VW-Porsche Vertriebsgesellschaft all that often.
idea.gif

Mikey914
It gets better. - Found the original license plate and can confirm it with the shipping tag
Shivers
Very cool
oldie914
In the back of the Kraftzeugbrief there is a list of owners in Germany.
The lower right corner of the Brief has been clipped which was normally done when the German registration was cancelled because it was being registered in the US military vehicle registration system. This might have been done though by the German customs office in Bremerhaven to cancel the registration when the car left Germany.
There should be a carbon copy of the registration cancellation in the Brief and a big stamp on the back saying the registration has been cancelled.
bbrock
Cool find! The last picture in post 15 is Frog Rock taken a few hundred yard pass the exit to my house.
Mikey914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 26 2021, 11:35 AM) *

Cool find! The last picture in post 15 is Frog Rock taken a few hundred yard pass the exit to my house.

Yes just missed you.
I'll check the paperwork and post up.
beech4rd
"The other document from the Zollamt Bremerhaven seems to be related to the shipping of the car. It received a special license plate "170-Z-1002" which i believe was only used for transport."

Perhaps not. I bought quite a few cars in then West Germany during the 1970s. Because I wasn't a legal resident of the Bundesrepublik, I couldn't get normal registration and plates. We foreigners were issued the oval "Zoll" plates which were good for, I think, about three months driving in Germany after which the vehicle had to be exported. The German for Customs is Zoll, of course
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.