Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock 2.0 won’t start after short drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Number14
I’ve read everything I can find here and elsewhere and had my pro mechanic try to tackle the problem including new injectors, mps testing, new fuel pump, high torque starter, and a test with a known good brain.

Car starts fine in the morning but it won’t start after a short (5-10) minute drive. Turns over but won’t fire. If I wait an hour it will start right up.

Really appreciate any insight to this problem.

Thanks.
jcd914

There are many things that could contribute to your issue but if every thing else is good the following might be worth checking.

It sound like the heads are heat soaking after the is engine shut off, no more air flow. The short stop time isn't enough for the head and head temp sensor to cool down enough and the FI keeps the fuel mixture too lean for good restart.
There was a spacer available for the head temp sensor the helped with heat soak, allowed the temp sensor to cool faster than the head.

Jim
Number14
Thank you, Jim. I’ll give that try.
brant
Verify spark
Get a spare plug and pull a wire or… use a timing light when it is acting up

Does it run for long periods before you shut it off?
emerygt350
I would look to ignition first. Have you tried starter fluid?
Number14
Brant: generally, the shorter period of time it runs, the more likely it is not to start.

EmoryGT350: I have not tried starter fluid but my mechanic says he checked spark. I will mention this to him.

Thank you for your thoughtful responses.

emerygt350
If starter fluid starts it, then look to fuel/fuel injection. If it doesn't, look to ignition.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 25 2021, 09:06 AM) *

If starter fluid starts it, then look to fuel/fuel injection. If it doesn't, look to ignition.

agree.gif

And time to find a new mechanic that can do real diagnostics rather than throwing parts at a problem at your expense. Sheesh -- Modern "Mechanics" chair.gif
Jett
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 25 2021, 07:11 AM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 25 2021, 09:06 AM) *

agree.gif

And time to find a new mechanic that can do real diagnostics rather than throwing parts at a problem at your expense. Sheesh -- Modern "Mechanics" chair.gif

+1 an experienced mechanic with the right tools and machines. Our 2.0 was running good but after measuring the TPS our mechanic realized that it would only travel 21 of the 25 clicks, bought a new panel from 914Rubber and is now running great smile.gif
emerygt350
Mine only gets 12 clicks sad.gif. Even after replacing the board with the 914rubber replacement. I just make sure they all count.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.