Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a muffler for a 75 2.0 suggestions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Hey guys,

blew up my stock muffler on my 75 2.0. I dont really have the cash to do the 73 ss exchangers and muffler right now.
My stock exchangers are in excellent condition. Its a non cat car.
So was thinking of just going with a bursch or that 2 exhaust tip manta. Any thoughts or suggestions ??
The 4 pipe monza is way too loud for my taste. How does that 2tip manta and the bursch compare?

Im guessing Triad doesnt make one for 75 exhaust systems. And there probally isnt much point in putting on a 75 exhaust system?? I would go with a single pipe
Thanks
Qarl
I would say Bursch or factory. Call Triad. He may be able to make you what you want!

If you go Bursch, strip the paint off and put some better rust/heat-proof paint on it!

Check e-bay. Occasionally a deal pops up on a cheap factory muffler.
tod914
Factory NLA for 75-76
Bleyseng
See if RustyWA still has that 75 Bursch I gave him.

He just switched over to early HE's

Geoff
RustyWa
I do still have the Bursch, but...

The support brace, that is welded to the side of the muffler, tore away leaving a 1"x1" hole in the side of the muffler body..... I was thinking a patch would need to be welded up, then the brace put back on. That's why I never got it installed.
ChrisReale
Have Geoff, the resident welder in the PNW patch it up....speaking of which, Geoff, I have the same issue with my Subaru muffler. Can you help me out?
Part Pricer
If you have to choose between the Manta and the Bursch, I think that you are going to like the Bursch better.

The Manta is cheaply-made, has a raspy sound and has those two tips that stick out under your valence.

The Bursch has a nicer sound (IMO) and the tailpipe exits from the stock indentation in the valence. The build-quality on the Bursch is good, but it does come with a crappy paint job. If you go this direction plan on stripping the exhaust and repainting it with a good high-temperature paint. "Dad" Roberts suggested the high-temp kit from Eastwood.
Bleyseng
Yeah, I can weld it up.

Geoff
rhodyguy
we know you CAN. but WILL you? lets get this party started. nice chat last night. i beat the jet and was waiting at bagage. alarms oplenty, head lights blinking, and heads akimbo while crusing thru the parking garage last night.

kevin
Queenie
I had one of those 2-tip Manta jobbies on mine, but it pretty much just fell right the hell off the car as I was cruising down the freeway a couple of months ago (it was promptly snagged underneath a Lincoln Continental). I replaced it with a Bursch and I like the Bursch better. It looks cleaner & is a little more quiet.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Jul 23 2003, 05:07 AM)
If you have to choose between the Manta and the Bursch, I think that you are going to like the Bursch better.

The Manta is cheaply-made, has a raspy sound and has those two tips that stick out under your valence.

The Bursch has a nicer sound (IMO) and the tailpipe exits from the stock indentation in the valence. The build-quality on the Bursch is good, but it does come with a crappy paint job. If you go this direction plan on stripping the exhaust and repainting it with a good high-temperature paint. "Dad" Roberts suggested the high-temp kit from Eastwood.

i like da manta better. my bursch was rusted down to nothing. the manta looks cooler, sounds better and seems to work just as well as the bursch (HP wise) ...

unless someone comes up with some dyno-sheets that proof that the bursch adds some 10+ HP over the manta, it's going to stay on my car ...

Andy
tod914
I inquired with dave at triad. he is checking to see if they have the correct elbows etc. to make it. being the exchangers are siamesed, probally no point in putting him through the trouble of making 1. Think what ill do, is just get a bursch for now. Save up my pennies for ssi, and then go with a triad. I hate tossing away the 225 on a muffler now. But, seems like the best thing to do for now so i can at least drive it. Thing is as loud as straight pipes now. blink.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I've ran the Bursch Extractor, Manta two tip and the Monza 4 tip(or was it the Monza two tip and Manta four tip?). I saw no difference in performance between the three. The Bursch sounds great, the two tip sounded great, but the four tip made it sound like a VW with all the valves loose. The four tip had the best look, but one of the tips rusted off in a year. They were slanted upwards, so the rain just ran inside them! I now have mine custom made. My present set up is two small "cherry bomb" glass packs with a pipe on each side. Sounds like a v8 with a cam. Any good muffler shop can cut and fab a system to your specs. I did one for a friends car for less than 80.00 using his old muffler for the correct connection points. Muffler guys here work cheap I guess. There's one on just about every corner. We don't have the restrictions here in Okiehoma that some places do, so just about any thing goes in the exhaust department.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.