Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pushrods: Aluminum or Steel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
One last request for advice on pushrods. With some new measuring tools and improved adjustable pushrod, I have convinced myself I can get equivalent results with stock pushrods and shims (under the rocker shaft supports), or with custom length pushrods.

Since custom rods are mostly steel, and stock rods are aluminum, what are the pros and cons?
bbrock
The only thing I know about them is that aluminum is quieter and the stock push rods use a thicker walled tubing than most aftermarket aluminum rods so are stronger. This came from bugguy1967 on the samba who machines rockers for swivel style adjusters. He told me he could shorten the stock rods for me. I got lucky and the stock length was exactly what I needed for max lift and correct geometry but sounds like it might let you eliminate the shims. You can google him or PM me for his email.

I know nothing about any other pros and cons of aluminum vs. steel.
bkrantz
Brent, he did my rockers. I will reach out to him.

BTW, Len Hoffman also recommended stock pushrods if I can get good lift and alignment with shims.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.