Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Solution-914 Rubber RS Inner Door Handle Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whiterabbit
I recently purchased the 914 Rubber RS Inner Door Handle kit (https://914rubber.com/rs-inner-door-handle-kit). The black pull handles seem straight forward but I'm having trouble figuring out where and how to attach the red nylon straps for the door release. Do these attach at the original chrome door release location? I don't see how these can work with the stock door catch rod and handle/lock system.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Yes, but you will have to remove the current handle. The hardware will allow you to attach to the pull bar, them push through the plastic cover when you install.
whiterabbit
Is this how the pull strap attaches to the pull bar/rod?Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Yes, but I'd put the bolt head out as its slightly smaller.

Mark
whiterabbit
I installed the door release strap as suggested in the previous post and inserted the plastic cover into a mock-up door card to test for fit and function. I really like the look of the red nylon pull strap but gotta say that I'm not satisfied with the functionality. It takes considerable effort to pull the strap to open the door, to the point that I'm afraid the entire door card/panel could be accidentally torn off the door when trying to open it from the inside. Is this the same experience others have with this system?

Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing the quality or design of the 914Rubber parts. I just think the geometry and mechanics of the stock 914 handle mechanism is not designed to accommodate this type of system.
Steve
QUOTE(whiterabbit @ Sep 29 2021, 05:59 AM) *

I installed the door release strap as suggested in the previous post and inserted the plastic cover into a mock-up door card to test for fit and function. I really like the look of the red nylon pull strap but gotta say that I'm not satisfied with the functionality. It takes considerable effort to pull the strap to open the door, to the point that I'm afraid the entire door card/panel could be accidentally torn off the door when trying to open it from the inside. Is this the same experience others have with this system?

Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing the quality or design of the 914Rubber parts. I just think the geometry and mechanics of the stock 914 handle mechanism is not designed to accommodate this type of system.

Was the door handle easy to pull before? Every 5 years or so, I pull the panels and drench all the mechanisms with WD40.
whiterabbit
Yes, otherwise, the door handle is easy to pull and open with the stock handle assembly. The latch assemblies were recently cleaned and lubricated.
BuddyV
QUOTE(whiterabbit @ Sep 29 2021, 05:59 AM) *

I have an older kit of a similar design. I understand what you mean about the difficulty in pulling...... but it's an obvious result if you look at how the inner bar slides forward toward the front of the car. (not a manufacturing issue)

So, What I did to make this cool kit work for me :

A. Twirled the plastic door fitting (the round trim with the slit for the strap) 180 degrees to what you are showing.... this gets me ready for the next step.....

B. When I pull the red strap, I take care to "pull toward the front of the car".... rather than pulling into the car. As you mentioned, if you pull into the car (as would be logical), you will tear the door card off before the door opens)

Pulling the strap FORWARD is the new "logical" if you understand how the inner bar slides in order to make the door open.

No, it's not super smooth and easy..... but it works.

I have plans to ditch the stock rod all together and devise a cable to actuate the door handle...... including a pivot or roller arm closest to the red strap to make the action smoother.

I think this GT handle design works better on a 911..... out door mechanism is a bot of a challenge for he "pull" on the red strap.

Good luck. I think it's a cool touch in a 914. I hope you can make it work.
whiterabbit
BuddyV hit the nail on the head with his description of the mechanical design and potential solution to improve the function. My biggest concern is that someone riding in the passenger seat that isn't aware to pull the strap forward (vs logically pulling inward or back) will tear the door card off. headbang.gif

I'll post a description and photos of my final solution once I get there. I'm working with blank door cards so, I have lots of options.

914e
Maybe add a strap loop so even if you pull it to you it would still pull the rod.

Click to view attachment
whiterabbit
I put the 914Rubber RS inner door handle kit to the side to re-think the door pull situation. The 914Rubber kit is nice but after much internal deliberation, I've landed on a final decision on my new door cards. Here's sneak peek of one of the final design elements.

Click to view attachment
whiterabbit
I finished my inner door cards this weekend. I abandoned the idea of replacing the factory inner door release handle with the nylon strap from the 914Rubber kit. In my opinion, it was an awkward modification from the original design. I decided to keep the original door release hardware but replace everything else on the passenger and driver side door cards.

1-Inserted M5 threaded inserts (riv-nuts) in the existing inner door frame holes for attachment of the door cards. While I was in there I replaced all the vapor barrier with new plastic film.

Click to view attachment

2-Made new upholstered door cards and upper bolsters. The bolsters are the original steel bolsters covered with 1/2 inch foam and "knock-off" alacantara fabric. The door cards are covered in period correct basket weave fabric. I used the round plastic trim pieces from the 914Rubber RS door handle kit

Click to view attachment

3-I bought 1 inch wide leather strap from an ETSY seller to make the door pulls. I attached them to the inner door structure with M6 threaded inserts and M6 screws.

Click to view attachment

Here's the finished product. The door cards are attached to the door using M5 screws rather than the plastic factory push rivets.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

mlindner
I have the GT style door pulls. Both very hard to open pulling forward. My car is a little more for track so I will put up with it.Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.