Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 conversion rear spring rate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
So I didn't realize I needed to change these out, but it could be why the rear sits super low - not that its entirely bad, but with a 2.7-6 vs a 2.0-4 it's probably beneficial to upgrade them.

I read some posts anywhere from 150 up to 200.

I will be using it for mainly street, you know getting groceries in biggrin.gif

Would a glass flared car with a 2.7, stock 901 use 150lb springs? Plan on putting adjustable A1-Racing conversion on the existing shocks.
mb911
I use stock springs and I like it on my car. If I were to do anything else it would be the rebel racing adjustable ones
rgalla9146
Install whatever stock springs you have.
Install good shocks and struts. Bilstein rears are adjustable height.
Lower the front, lower than rear is better. Park on a level surface, place a 24"
level on your door jamb as a reference.
Get a professional four wheel alignment
Root_Werks
Found a set of used Weltmeister 100lb springs for my 914-6 conversion. Street use only. No cracking my lower back. Had 150lb and greater on 914's in the past. Track springs in my opinion.
nditiz1
When you guys say stock springs are you talking about stock 914-4 springs or stock 6 springs?

I believe 4 cyl springs are not as stiff as 6, at least the parts catalog has different part numbers?
mepstein
Bilstein shocks are height adjustable, the Rebel kit even more so. 140 lb springs are a really good starting point.
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 27 2021, 03:25 PM) *

Bilstein shocks are height adjustable, the Rebel kit even more so. 140 lb springs are a really good starting point.

agree.gif
With my 2.7, I ran 140lb springs in the rear and 21mm torsion bars up front with 22mm sway bar. No rear sway bar. Cornered great and was also fine for autocross. When I installed the heavier 3.2 and 915 trans, I was forced to upgrade to 200 lb rear spring due to the extra weight.
horizontally-opposed
140-lb Weltmeister springs were the hot ticket for a very long time.

Have been running them since the 1990s, and have no complaints—first with a four and more recently with a small six.
nditiz1
Thanks all, sounds like I can just find some 140lb weltmeister, throw those on and I'm good to go. Anyone got a set?
rgalla9146
It's unlikely you would find original 6 springs.
Don't quote me but I think they can be known by yellow paint marks
Springs can be known to match other same strength springs by
color of paint marks and number of paint marks.
AFAIK all OEM springs are dated month and year.
I'd like to see yellow marks on springs after '72
rgalla9146
another
stownsen914
Before you go making 914 suspension too stiff, keep in mind that the chassis flexes a lot already. It will only flex more if you make the suspension a lot stiffer. Stock springs were quite soft, like 60 lb/in for the /4 and 80 on the /6? 140 may be a good compromise.
mlindner
I've got the 180 lb rear springs and koni's from Ground Control. work great with my 2.2 six. Mark
Cairo94507
I have 140 pound springs in the rear of my Six and it rides very nice. I also have Bilstein shocks and Elephant Racing rubber bushings all around with stock later front & rear sway bars. beerchug.gif
Olympic 914
I have a set of original /6 springs , two yellow dots.

numbers are PO5 74

I would be willing to part with them.

Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
Double post.

Root_Werks
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Sep 27 2021, 06:39 PM) *

Before you go making 914 suspension too stiff, keep in mind that the chassis flexes a lot already. It will only flex more if you make the suspension a lot stiffer. Stock springs were quite soft, like 60 lb/in for the /4 and 80 on the /6? 140 may be a good compromise.

agree.gif

Knowing it's more about vehicle use and personal taste, @stownsen914 is correct. The stiffer a spring rate is on a pretty much stock 914 chassis, it's going to rattle things pretty good. At some point you just wind up beating up yourself and the car.

Justinp71
I run 200 lb springs in the rear with my 3.2 and I think it's great personally, I could see the mag motor needing less. Also I think stiffer springs are better with more power less rear squat, I would think 160-180 would be good for you.

I've run stock 18 and now 19mm torsions up front, both seem fine for a street car. A good front sway bar helps alot too.

I occasionally track the car and like it a little on the stiff side, but with 15" tires I never felt the rear was too stiff for the street.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.