Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mechanical Cleaning of Center Tunnel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanpaulmc
There are some good threads already about how to chemically clean and treat the center tunnel. I have not found any with good coverage about tools and techniques to mechanically go after the rust and debris before doing a chemical treatment. Maybe not so much of an issue for the dry and west coast cars but this is not one of those. This is an east coast car that has seen some water and developed rust in there. It needs a good scraping before treating and sealing it.

Would like your experience on what tools, pictures would be great, work well for getting in there to scrub it.
Kitchen bottle brush on a long flex tape?

And, any suggestions on how to protect the wiring look at the back of the tunnel from the Ospho?

Click to view attachment

Thanks
Sean
mate914
Change the floor pans. East cost cars have rust in places that removing floor pan is the only way to save it.
Matt
Cairo94507
Assess the remainder of the floor pan thoroughly for rust in all of the usual place. Your easiest fix may just be to replace the floor pans. Then you solve that problem correctly and for good as you can then treat all the new metal so rust is likely to not reappear in the next few decades. beerchug.gif
jcd914
Mine had loose dirt, grit from blasting, some light surface rust and a few odd nuts & bolts in the tunnel.

I used a shop vac as best I could reach initially, then I used a long wide bottle brush (from brewing equipment) and compressed air through a nozzle. Stuck the vacuum at the back and brushed and blew everything the back.

The brush is just soft plastic, so I did not scrape anything loose just helped moved some of the loose stuff.

Jim
partwerks
Or maybe stick an air compressor nozzle on one end, and vacuum on the other?
930cabman
Is removing the tunnel an option? I have considered it. Replacing the floor pans is not a difficult job, if you have a rotisserie. Otherwise one is completing many plug welds upside down.
BeatNavy
I agree that replacing the floor pans, especially without a rotisserie, is a PITA. If they are gutted, then of course it is necessary -- they are a major component of structural integrity.

There is a thread here where someone cut the tunnel metal from underneath, cleaned it up, and then welded it back in. It was a pretty slick way to do it. Probably still a PITA, but probably easier than replacing the entire floor pans.
930cabman
I was thinking of removing sections from the cabin, do what is necessary and welding things up. Too crazy?
930cabman
Can anyone point me to a thread demonstrating cleaning the center tunnel?
Thanks

I am considering removing sections from in the cabin to access and welding the pieces back in place.
bkrantz
I suppose if (a great big IF) the tunnel has only surface rust inside, then sticking a high pressure washer nozzle with a right-angle head inside from all openings and all angles might dislodge enough rust and dirt for chemical treatment.
mepstein
I would remove the wire harness from the tunnel, Get a couple long round wire brushes, scrub up the inside of the tunnel with the metal brushes, vacuum, spray brake clean on some rags and inside tunnel, clean as best you can, coat tunnel with etch prime, rust bullet or your favorite preservative.

930cabman
I went back and forth and finally opened her up.

Click to view attachment

I did not see any possible way to get the interior of the otherwise sound tunnel cleaned out.Click to view attachment

The interior is much cleaner than before and rid of the moisture holding mouse xyz&w#
barefoot
This worked well for me, I only had mild surface rust to deal with however.
Turns steel dull black & provides good protection, good stuff !

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.