Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cheap Starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
friethmiller
Is this starter going to work in my 1.8L? According to the local parts store, it is. I have my doubts. And, is this bushing going to really be big enough here? It looks too small. Going to get my original rebuilt today. Thought I could use this in the interim. Might be taking it back.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
I've always gotten the stock ones rebuilt. Then you have a perfect fit. Usually costs $75-125.

My local guy turns them around in a day or 2. Most rebuilders can do the same.
914Sixer
The starter shown IS NOT CORRECT. CORRECT starter is a SR-17X or 911 starter SR-68X. You have SR-15N for the VW Bug. Parts books are WRONG
jaredmcginness
That is a starter for a type one. Thats the support bearing sticking out. Return it if you still have the chance.

I made this mistake too. I fudged around with 4 different crappy used starters for a long time. I ended up spending $200 on a WOSP off Pelican. Never heard a car turn over so strong before. Worth it in my book.

Cheers.
friethmiller
Ok. I just dropped off 2 original 914 starters to get rebuilt. They should be ready by Friday. I have the receipt for this new one so it's going back. Really appreciate the input. Thanks all!
930cabman
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 29 2021, 10:42 AM) *

I've always gotten the stock ones rebuilt. Then you have a perfect fit. Usually costs $75-125.

My local guy turns them around in a day or 2. Most rebuilders can do the same.

Agreed, find a local guy (mine is about an hours drive, but worth every penny) to rebuild your original stuff. No questions with regards to fitment.
friethmiller
Well Covid strikes again! Rebuilder says he can't get the parts right now to rebuild my starters. He said both units need new armatures and other parts. Went ahead and ordered a new WOSP starter from that "bird" place (thanks jaredmcginness). My 1.8L was big bored to a 2.3L, which I think is what wore out my old, original starter. Oh, and I was able to return the Type 1 starter to AutoZone.
friethmiller
OK, the high torque starter is exactly what my 2.3L needed. Cranked up, no issues!! Got to drive my 914 for the very first time yesterday. Damn, it goes!!
jaredmcginness
Glad to hear it! I am glad I did it in mine - I made the junior engine builder choice of installing a probably-too-large cam in my 4, and it really helps turn that thing over.
friethmiller
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Oct 6 2021, 06:54 AM) *

Glad to hear it! I am glad I did it in mine - I made the junior engine builder choice of installing a probably-too-large cam in my 4, and it really helps turn that thing over.

Exactly! I blew through two stock starters. The crankshaft in this thing is probably twice the weight of the original 1.8 crank and this camshaft is hot, as well. It makes total sense now - what was I even thinking?!
StarBear
Curious - would that WOSP starter be too much for a 1.8 stock with original EFI? My starter is original and seems to be struggling lately even with the hot start Ford solenoid fix.
jaredmcginness
I don't think it would be too much @starbear - If you think about it, mine is only really 1.9.
StarBear
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Oct 6 2021, 03:00 PM) *

I don't think it would be too much @starbear - If you think about it, mine is only really 1.9.

Thanks! Another Christmas item for my list!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.