Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rewiring Driving Lights Independent of Headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cpgpz399
I'm new on this forum, and I know that this topic has already been discussed. How do I rewire my driving lights so I can switch them on when the headlights are down?
KSCarrera
QUOTE(cpgpz399 @ Sep 29 2021, 06:40 PM) *

I'm new on this forum, and I know that this topic has already been discussed. How do I rewire my driving lights so I can switch them on when the headlights are down?

Try here: Driving light rewire
SirAndy
914s don't have driving lights. Those are foglights.
shades.gif

PS: welcome.png
maf914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 29 2021, 10:53 AM) *

914s don't have driving lights. Those are foglights.
shades.gif

Correct. US spec 914s had fog lights and not driving lights.

European spec cars did have driving lights, at least per The 914 Restorer's Guide. I have a pair of Hella driving lights as pictured in the Guide which I took from a 914 in a salvage yard in Germany while working there in the 80's.

Regarding the question of rewiring the fog lights: Didn't someone offer a wiring harness that allowed the fog lights to operate independently from the head lights? I have searched the World site and checked various suppliers, but cannot find anything. I would be interested if there is one.
Gatornapper
I wanted my fog lights on my '76 to be DRL's so I cut the white/yellow wire that feeds the fog lights near the fuse block under the dash and fed it from the fuse to the cig lighter, etc. I also put LED's in the fog lights but finding an LED H3 bulb that gives the correct light pattern is difficult.

I did find some tho.

The white LED DRL's are a great and needed distraction from the ugliness of the big black front bumper. IMHO.

GN

QUOTE(cpgpz399 @ Sep 29 2021, 11:40 AM) *

ClayPerrine
There is a wire that goes from the low beam circuit to the fog light switch. I disconnected that wire at the fog light switch, and put in a new one that is tied to the park lights. So I can turn on the fog lights anytime the park lights are on. If you wanted, you can just wire it to a switched circuit, and then you can turn them on anytime the key is on.

Also, my big six has 911 driving lights in place of the fog lights. They are almost identical to the fog lights, but have a different lenses and bulbs. I want to put an LED conversion in them now that spokeworks has them available.

Clay
SirAndy
QUOTE(maf914 @ Sep 29 2021, 04:01 PM) *
Didn't someone offer a wiring harness that allowed the fog lights to operate independently from the head lights?

agree.gif

I have that in my stash somewhere. Can't remember who sold those though.
idea.gif

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 30 2021, 11:30 AM) *

Didn't someone offer a wiring harness that allowed the fog lights to operate independently from the head lights?

agree.gif

idea.gif

JWest Engineering. Put in his kit and you can flash the fog lights by pulling the turn signal stalk.

Clay
seanpaulmc
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 30 2021, 12:30 PM) *

agree.gif

idea.gif

My recollection is it was JWest Engineering at one time.
I don’t see it on the current site.

cpgpz399
Many thanks for the info. I'm new to this forum, not new to 914's. I have owned 4, including an original six that I raced in GT trim for seven years in PCA and HSR. Not driving in fog much, I switched my fog lights to driving lights years ago.I just want to use them as daytime running lights now.
screenguy914
Here's one article on rewiring the foglights. Requires rearranging some wires in the headlight switch. Be aware the headlight switch comes in different flavors. 70-71, 72-73, 74-76.

http://members.rennlist.com/demick/fogrewire.html

Here's another:
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/new_l...g_functions.htm

Sherwood
VaccaRabite
I have a set of the old Pilot driving lights wired into the fogs, and did the light switch re-wire that was noted on post 2.

It works great.

I'll tell you though, ever since I went to LED headlights, the driving lights are useless. The headlights are brighter then the driving lights, and use a fraction of the power. Eventually I'll move to LED driving lights, since I do like the look. But at this point, it is just for looks. I never turn the driving lights on anymore.

Zach
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 15 2021, 10:49 AM) *

I'll tell you though, ever since I went to LED headlights, the driving lights are useless. The headlights are brighter then the driving lights, and use a fraction of the power. Eventually I'll move to LED driving lights, since I do like the look. But at this point, it is just for looks. I never turn the driving lights on anymore.

Zach

I wired mine so I can use my driving lights for daytime running lights.

Clay
Luke M
I'm currently rewiring my brothers 74 914 wire harness. You can't buy a new one so I'm replacing a lot of damaged wires. I also want to rewire the fog lights independently to the headlights. I found this on line but haven't gotten to the front of the harness mess just yet. Prob next weeks project.
FlacaProductions
Zach - I'm running Pilot's as well and moved to LEDs there to match the color of the 914Rubber LED H4 headlight solution. They work great and actually have useable output. I mainly run them for DRL's and they're effective for that, too. Pardon the bug smears....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXJAI6...=UTF8&psc=1

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 15 2021, 08:49 AM) *

I have a set of the old Pilot driving lights wired into the fogs, and did the light switch re-wire that was noted on post 2.

It works great.

Zach

Click to view attachment
GregAmy
And for those of you that have done this rewiring mod to use the fogs as DRLs, and occasionally neglect to turn off your parking lights thus leaving you with an embarrasingly flat battery (and I can't push start b/c I have Microsquirt EFI that won't fire with a dead battery)...

This: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TV9K1SW

Black wire to the ignition power terminal on the tach, red wire to the green bulb in the speedo (that indicates the parking lights are on, natch). Now you have a high-pitched buzzer with key off and lights left on.

(And yes, the yellow insert on the fogs switch does light up...I didn't claim I was smart, just non-observational...)
Mark Henry
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 15 2021, 11:57 AM) *

And for those of you that have done this rewiring mod to use the fogs as DRLs, and occasionally neglect to turn off your parking lights thus leaving you with an embarrasingly flat battery (and I can't push start b/c I have Microsquirt EFI that won't fire with a dead battery)...

This: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TV9K1SW

Black wire to the ignition power terminal on the tach, red wire to the green bulb in the speedo (that indicates the parking lights are on, natch). Now you have a high-pitched buzzer with key off and lights left on.

(And yes, the yellow insert on the fogs switch does light up...I didn't claim I was smart, just non-observational...)

I used Demick's wiring instructions and they only come on if the fog switch is pulled, but mine (74) does shut off with the ignition key.
GregAmy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 15 2021, 03:31 PM) *

I used Demick's wiring instructions and they only come on if the fog switch is pulled, but mine (74) does shut off with the ignition key.

I did "1a" where the fogs are on with parking lights (presuming the fog switch is on.) I'm guessing you did "1b"? - Greg
Mark Henry
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 15 2021, 03:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 15 2021, 03:31 PM) *

I did "1a" where the fogs are on with parking lights (presuming the fog switch is on.) I'm guessing you did "1b"? - Greg

I imagine, but that was aboot 15 years ago. biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
This is simple....

Drop your fuse box.

Look for the pair of white/blue wires attached to fuse #1 on the fuse box with a single spade connector. One is the high beam indicator, and one is the power to energize the fog light relay.

Cut loose one of the wires from the spade connector, and put a separate spade connector on the cut wire.

Now power each wire with positive 12v. If the high beam indicator comes on, connect that wire back to fuse #1.

Hook the other wire to fuse #4 on the fuse block. There is an empty spade connector there you can use.

Now pull the fog light switch from the dash.

Disconnect the black/blue wire from the switch and replace it with a jumper to the brown wire.

Now your fog lights will be able to be turned on with the park lights, and will go off with the park lights.

Clay

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.