Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru SVX 3.3 motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
I was just given a SVX 3.3 motor, complete with harness and FI. Has anyone used this version in their 914? Since it's free, it's a good one but, is it a good match up for the car?
If I use it for one of the 914's, I will rebuild it completely first, I'm not sure what I would need for the conversion.
I know there's more than one thread here on Subaru engines, just trying to wrap my head around what will be required and what the level of effort is.
My thought would be to buy a good roller, install flares if they are not already there and then drop it into that.
I guess the first question is, has anyone here used this motor before?
Shivers
Maybe contact this member and bend his ear.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...338974&st=0
914werke
@Kelty360
mepstein
I’m doing an SVX build

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=Suby+SVX+build
Literati914
I’ve got one also.. but still missing a few parts headbang.gif . Seems to be a descent match for a 914 but the trunk may or may not need to be cut.
mepstein
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 29 2021, 09:31 PM) *

I’ve got one also.. but still missing a few parts headbang.gif . Seems to be a descent match for a 914 but the trunk may or may not need to be cut.

Doesn’t need to be cut.
Chris H.
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Sep 29 2021, 06:28 PM) *

I was just given a SVX 3.3 motor, complete with harness and FI. Has anyone used this version in their 914? Since it's free, it's a good one but, is it a good match up for the car?
If I use it for one of the 914's, I will rebuild it completely first, I'm not sure what I would need for the conversion.
I know there's more than one thread here on Subaru engines, just trying to wrap my head around what will be required and what the level of effort is.
My thought would be to buy a good roller, install flares if they are not already there and then drop it into that.
I guess the first question is, has anyone here used this motor before?

I have been running one for 8 years. Great engine, great match for the car. You may not need to rebuild the engine. They’re pretty bulletproof.
Literati914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 29 2021, 08:54 PM) *

Doesn’t need to be cut.

Oh my bad - thought that depended on the intake configuration used.

mepstein
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 29 2021, 11:13 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 29 2021, 08:54 PM) *

Doesn’t need to be cut.

Oh my bad - thought that depended on the intake configuration used.

You are right. I should say it probably doesn’t need to be cut. There have been some nice conversions done with the SVX. I bought mine in a running car with a bad trans for $500. That also gave me the main harness that I sent out for $550 to get converted to work in the 914. I’m using the stock ecu. The engine bay shelf was already cut out of my chassis so it made it a no brainer to do a water cooled car. The 5 speed trans was another couple hundred dollars. It’s not a “cheap” conversion but it’s still many thousands less than a Porsche engine and 915 trans.

The downside is there is less support for these engine and I see less of them for sale on Craigslist, etc. If my engine doesn’t last, I will probably move to a turbo four but that’s not something I will worry about until I have too.
mmichalik
Thanks everyone! This sounds promising.
@mepstein I'll check out your post(s)
@Chris_H Not 100% sure but, for free, I would think there's something wrong with it. smile.gif The rebuild couldn't hurt anything, I wouldn't think.
Not sure if it I will put it into my 74 or get a new one yet but, I'm liking what I'm hearing.
rgalla9146

They're known to be used in water cooled Vanagons too.
There's a video of a very healthy one on YouTube
rhodyguy
Kent (76-914) is a wealth of info too.
ThePaintedMan
I've got an EG33 too, and have flipped the intake. Bit of extra work to do it that way, but I didn't want to hack into things if it wasn't truly necessary.

I have acquired just about everything for the swap over the past few years, but I also acquired two children during that time and a job that has me overseas a ton, but I plan on starting the swap this winter.

I'll echo everyone else's sentiment - the EG33 is a really strong engine and yours may not need a rebuild. However, getting parts for them, including seal kits is getting more difficult.

I highly recommend Jeff Robenolt to do your harness work for you. I started doing it myself, but it turns out that $600 or so was some of the best money I've spent. Jeff is a genius and a really nice guy to boot.
https://autoventuresllc.net/

mepstein
Jeff did mine a couple years ago and I’ve recommended him to others with good success.
He mostly does VW vans but had no problem making the adjustments for a 914.

mmichalik
All this is great news!
I really appreciate everyone's input here.
This is going to be awesome!
mepstein
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Sep 30 2021, 12:17 PM) *

All this is great news!

Start looking for a Suby 5 speed manual trans.
Chris H.
You'll really like it. If I had to buy a Subaru 6 today it would be the EZ30 but getting an EG33 free is great. I'm very familiar with the engine and all sensors, wiring, etc. so start a build thread when you're ready and we can chime in. There are a few substitute parts that are much cheaper if needed. I've been meaning to update my build thread with what worked and what didn't. Maybe this will get me motivated.

Here's a short clip of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W4LKapgU3M
mmichalik
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 30 2021, 09:23 AM) *

All this is great news!

@mepstein can it work with the standard 914 transmission?
mepstein
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Oct 1 2021, 12:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 30 2021, 09:23 AM) *

All this is great news!

@mepstein can it work with the standard 914 transmission?

Yes. You need an adaptor. Everyone who installs a suby trans says it's almost as important as the engine. It you use the stock trans, the cv joints may not hold up. It's a slippery slope but everything i've read says it's worth doing. Mine's not done yet so talk with the experts.
ThePaintedMan
@mmichalik

I have the adaptor plate, clutch, pressure plate and starter for sale if you decide to use the original transmission. Will make you a deal.
mmichalik
Just picked up the motor. Start of something fun!
Literati914
Man that’s great, a free engine! And not just any.. these are really durable, I think someone mentioned that the crank journals are basically all like main journals. These engines are sought out for twin turbo because of this (in part). Also, apparently the coolant path is superior to the ez30 if I’m not mistaken (ez30 has its own set of advantages tho). Anyway congrats !!!!

Is that engine missing any of it’s components ?

KELTY360
The intake runners look awesome polished! I had an EG33 in my Vanagon and the power and torque was next level. I can only imagine how it would be in a 914. Parts are getting tough to acquire.
mmichalik
The harness and injectors are not there. But the gent that gave it to me has them and will get them to me.
I'm sure there are a few other things that are not there but I'll get them.
mgp4591
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Oct 1 2021, 10:05 PM) *

The harness and injectors are not there. But the gent that gave it to me has them and will get them to me.
I'm sure there are a few other things that are not there but I'll get them.

The water pump is missing unless it's in your other parts...as are your cam pulleys. I've got one myself and I've been a little ambitious in building my own cradle despite an excellent one available a mere 5 hours away...but I'm a glutton for punishment. I pulled a running SVX into my garage, tore it apart, and am using as much of the original parts as possible. I don't have a build thread as I'm really lazy but I'm willing to answer as many questions as possible.
These engines have most of the parts discontinued but share some parts with the EJ22 platform. Their design is similar to the Porsche engines with the flat plane crank setup and when they're opened up, they sound incredible. Good luck with your build!
Chris H.
The coolant crossover pipe is missing too. Make sure to get that if you didn't already. That cam wheel is very important. It's a non interference engine which is good.
partwerks
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Oct 1 2021, 03:14 PM) *

Just picked up the motor. Start of something fun!

What engine is that?
76-914
EG33
mmichalik
I have decided to go in another direction with this and had offered to give this motor away to anyone who wanted it. (With no luck) I was focusing on local pick up because I really didn't want to ship it out but I would entertain that option if anyone wants to pay for it.
If anyone is interested, hmu. Otherwise, it's just collecting dust in my garage.
mepstein
I would list it on the samba for a few hundred bucks. If you offer it for free, it can be more hassle than selling. Charging money helps weed out the screwy.gif people.
mmichalik
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 28 2022, 09:36 AM) *

I would list it on the samba for a few hundred bucks. If you offer it for free, it can be more hassle than selling. Charging money helps weed out the screwy.gif people.

Good idea, thanks I will do that this weekend
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.