Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Acceptable Jackstand positions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rufus
After searching treads on this and reviewing the suggested jackstand positions in the FAQ section, I still have questions.

I’m leery of jacking under either the engine or transmission since both are magnesium. Using my floor jack under the rear donut appears best for lifting, but prevents putting a stand there.

So I’m looking at putting stands under the pivot section of the radius / trailing arms in the rear. Does it matter where along the pivot’s length a stand is put?

Is another option under the rear strut where it attaches to the radius / trailing arm? … or maybe under the radius arm at the strut attachment (after wheel & tire removal)?

The front looks easier: either under the front donut, or the front A-arm pivot (as on my ‘67 911.)

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Bob S.
914Sixer
DO NOT use jack stands WITHOUT safety pin to prevent collapse.
jcd914

I use the rear trailing arm tube/shaft section often for jack stands.
I keep it toward the middle in the larger round section.

As 914sixer suggests, be smart about the jack stands you use.
I only have 1 pair that have pins but I only use the other pair on their lowest setting, so they can't collapse.

Jim
rhodyguy
I wrap big zip ties over the lever (cheap insurance) and through the legs in those ratchet style ones but still leave the floor jacks raised and in place.
NARP74
If you want max height, can leave the wheels on and better safety, I built a set of wheel cribs. I love them, built two different heights, they can be combined and with the two stacked up, I can easily get under my lowered car with a creeper and have room to work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.