Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making a common hardware/standard parts list
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gord
Like a lot of people, I've been looking around for a comprehensive list of all the common/standard hardware so I can replace a lot of it with new parts before I reassemble my car. The consensus in various threads is that there is no such list — so I decided to make one.

My day-job is dealing with metadata, so putting together a relational database for tracking parts and creating a bill of materials was pretty trivial. So far I've got roughly 270 parts with around 700 uses catalogued; however, I have discovered in this process that the freely available pdf PET diagrams/lists contain a number of errors/mismatches, significant inconsistencies, and a few exceedingly vague descriptions. I've been able to cross-reference many of the VW-supplied parts (those beginning with the N- prefix) with other VW parts lists I found on The Samba, but there are many I haven't been able to find there.

Is anyone with a printed 914 Spare Parts Catalogue willing to scan it to PDF and upload it here? Or willing to look up a bunch of parts for me to get the full descriptions? (maybe @914Sixer or @68911l , who I saw may have traded a catalogue?)

In particular, I am looking for DIN numbers for the VW parts and information regarding whether they are galvanized/plated/etc. (these details for standard parts are already encoded in the Porsche number system, so no problem there).

Once I've got all the obvious errors sorted out, I will output an organized parts list with full counts for each piece and upload it here...
mepstein
I think it’s great what you are doing.
Don’t get rid of the old hardware. Some of it is not easy to find.
I clean mine up, send it out for plating and then supplement with orders from belmetric and the Porsche dealer.

Auto Atlanta sells a hardware kit. It doesn’t have suspension hardware but is useful for interior hardware and some other small bits.
914Sixer
Sold my last known 1980 version of the 914 factory parts book. You are correct about latest PET, lots of mistakes. There are lots of parts that cross reference BUT not listed anywhere. Little known facts are that lots of the 914 were cobbled from early VW Type 3 (311) and VW Type 4 (411/412). Good example is 1973 VW 412 front brakes are the same as the 914 front caliper. Rotors carry 411 part number.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Our site autoatlanta.com has the complete spare 914 parts catalog on it. We have express permission from Porsche through contractural arrangement to use it.

we also have an abbreviated version in our printed 914 catalog

QUOTE(gord @ Sep 30 2021, 06:17 AM) *

Like a lot of people, I've been looking around for a comprehensive list of all the common/standard hardware so I can replace a lot of it with new parts before I reassemble my car. The consensus in various threads is that there is no such list — so I decided to make one.

My day-job is dealing with metadata, so putting together a relational database for tracking parts and creating a bill of materials was pretty trivial. So far I've got roughly 270 parts with around 700 uses catalogued; however, I have discovered in this process that the freely available pdf PET diagrams/lists contain a number of errors/mismatches, significant inconsistencies, and a few exceedingly vague descriptions. I've been able to cross-reference many of the VW-supplied parts (those beginning with the N- prefix) with other VW parts lists I found on The Samba, but there are many I haven't been able to find there.

Is anyone with a printed 914 Spare Parts Catalogue willing to scan it to PDF and upload it here? Or willing to look up a bunch of parts for me to get the full descriptions? (maybe @914Sixer or @68911l , who I saw may have traded a catalogue?)

In particular, I am looking for DIN numbers for the VW parts and information regarding whether they are galvanized/plated/etc. (these details for standard parts are already encoded in the Porsche number system, so no problem there).

Once I've got all the obvious errors sorted out, I will output an organized parts list with full counts for each piece and upload it here...

gord
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 30 2021, 09:13 AM) *

Our site autoatlanta.com has the complete spare 914 parts catalog on it. We have express permission from Porsche through contractural arrangement to use it.

we also have an abbreviated version in our printed 914 catalog

Hey George, your site is great because all the parts are there — but it doesn't contain the additional detail I'm looking for. The parts catalogues from Porsche and VW contain the DIN-type, dimensions, grade, anti-corrosion spec, etc. for each part listed. This is the type of data I'm trying to find. DIN, material and anti-corrosion coating can be partially derived directly from the Porsche numbering system, but the VW system is just a sequential list of parts within each general group — you need the list to know what each number really means.

gord
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 30 2021, 09:03 AM) *

Sold my last known 1980 version of the 914 factory parts book. You are correct about latest PET, lots of mistakes. There are lots of parts that cross reference BUT not listed anywhere. Little known facts are that lots of the 914 were cobbled from early VW Type 3 (311) and VW Type 4 (411/412). Good example is 1973 VW 412 front brakes are the same as the 914 front caliper. Rotors carry 411 part number.

I might have to go looking on eBay for a copy of the book. I've been able to find about 2/3rds of the general hardware parts from VW (Normteile) in various other catalogues, but quite a few are still a mystery.

I'm compiling the list for the entire car except for the engine and transmission internals.
bbrock
popcorn[1].gif A heroic effort that will be invaluable to many! pray.gif

Along with death and taxes, I learned that another certainty in life is that you will discover a new piece of hardware you need within 2 hours of placing your last Belmetric order mad.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 30 2021, 05:03 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif A heroic effort that will be invaluable to many! pray.gif

Along with death and taxes, I learned that another certainty in life is that you will discover a new piece of hardware you need within 2 hours of placing your last Belmetric order mad.gif

LOL! so true.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
here you go the complete catalog on line from Porsche

https://www.partslink24.com/partslink24/user/login.do
gord
Updated: the sections weren't displaying correctly, so the PDF has been revised since I first posed 45 mins ago.

Hey, well here is my first attempt at pulling a common hardware list together:
Click to view attachment

A quick look will show the level of detail I'm trying to compile, and how much information is still missing. Just in case anyone else wants to help with this, here's a list of hardware for which I would like to find details about corrosion protection and DIN numbers:
Click to view attachment

Any constructive comments, positive or negative are most welcome!

Gord
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(gord @ Sep 30 2021, 09:18 AM) *
The parts catalogues from Porsche and VW contain the DIN-type, dimensions, grade, anti-corrosion spec, etc. for each part listed.

I do not remember that information on the hard-copy 914 parts catalog that I have. I think mine is vintage 1980 as well. What I remember seeing is very much like the PET in the information that it lists.

I will look to see if I can find the book in my stash, but don't hold your breath.

--DD
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(gord @ Oct 31 2021, 11:35 AM) *

Updated: the sections weren't displaying correctly, so the PDF has been revised since I first posed 45 mins ago.

Click to view attachment

A quick look will show the level of detail I'm trying to compile, and how much information is still missing. Just in case anyone else wants to help with this, here's a list of hardware for which I would like to find details about corrosion protection and DIN numbers:
Click to view attachment

Gord

Gord, this is an impressive effort! I can't speak to it's accuracy, but it is a great idea and can see where it will be very helpful. The ultimate would be to have this data linked to a graphical parts list with clickable links to bring up this level of detail about a given part (hint, hint) but can imagine that would be a significant challenge. As is, it's searchable so easy enough to find out about any part. Thanks for sharing.

Dan
mepstein
QUOTE(gord @ Oct 31 2021, 12:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Gord

Outstanding reference. Thank you! beerchug.gif
gord
Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate it!

I have made every effort to be at least as accurate as the PET catalog dated 24.07.2017, which together with the parts catalogue published in 1969 is what I used to compile this. In the process, I discovered that neither of these are 100% accurate, and a lot of stuff will need to be confirmed by physically examining what's on the car (not the easiest thing for me to do, since I bought someone's disassembled project).

The only thing I should say is that right now I have used the "maximum" quantities for things, so for example if the 914-6 takes 4 of something, while the 914-4 takes only 3, I have used 4 as the quantity. At some point I would like to break this out into separate counts for each model.

@lesorubcheek , a clickable version of the parts diagrams would be pretty cool — and technically it's not all that far-fetched. It would require licensing/permission to use the illustrations from Porsche in order to make it publicly available (unless they've become public domain, but I suspect there are another 18-20 years to go before this happens with the 914 diagrams), and that might be the biggest challenge....
nathanxnathan
I found this thread while looking for a "vintage" version of the 914 PET. So much is missing from the PET currently available from Porsche.

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...914_KATALOG.pdf

I recently completed a catalog for VW buses — my other passion — from 68–73 model years which I leveraged a Parts list book from 1971 (72 model year) and some from the available later fiches that have been scanned and are available online.

https://slicedbread.nathansdesign.com/

It's clear that the earlier list is far more comprehensive, detailing when parts changed, previous part versions etc where the later list will have only the currently available part and list anything not still available as just NLA, no description even.

So much of the info I would like seems like it would be in an early version of the PET.

For example, I was looking for the offset of an early 4.5 inch steel wheel, but it's not listed in the current PET.
914sgofast2

Thanks for posting those links to complete parts catalogs!

nathanxnathan
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Jun 24 2022, 10:40 AM) *

Thanks for posting those links to complete parts catalogs!

I made the bus one, the 914 one is from Porsche biggrin.gif

Sometimes the bus one is actually handy for 914 stuff, if a part is shared, parts that start with 2, like 211 xxx xxx or some 311 or 111 parts from type 3's or type 1's. You can search by part number and there is more info in the old vw book.

Is there something like this for a 914? This is like the one I have for Type 2's, and I've got one for pre 68 buses also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363590641786

edit — nevermind I do see one on Ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265732906047?hash=...jMAAOSwGdZipP-W
JeffBowlsby
I have a downloadable 2008 914 PET on my page, as well as two from 2010:

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm
nathanxnathan
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 24 2022, 01:22 PM) *

I have a downloadable 2008 914 PET on my page, as well as two from 2010:

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

the 2010 one is the one they have up currently. Not too many differences that I could see in the 2008, some changes in the remarks column.

I bought the one on ebay. I can't wait to see if there are bigger differences. It looks like the 1973 version, covering up to 74 model year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.