Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rubber bushing install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boiledcabbage
So - thought this would be easy - as a relative newbie would - but
1. Watched all the good videos, ordered the kit from 914rubber
2.thought I could remove the wedge bolt easier than the ball joint collar below - no amount of praying, swearing, pb blaster, and “tapping” worked so tried heat.- ended up cooking the ball joint.
3. Ordered a new ball joint and bolt, but had to remove the strut completely to bring to a machine shop to remove the old wedge bolt- no charge!!! Who does that anymore?
4. Managed to snap a brake line while removing the caliper so ordered new. And since I could not separate the tie rod end bought the appropriate tool which worked well.
5.Needed a 24inch (yes 24inch) pipe wrench after 3 days of pb blaster to remove the collar and free the old ball joint.
6.Used Ian karrs excellent video procedure to remove and install new bushings in the carrier - as luck would have it for the front install my threaded rod stripped halfway thru the install leaving my rapidly cooling bushing stuck only half on…
7.Fortunately by holding the a arm and stuck bushing/carrier upright and holding it in boiling water for ten minutes to reheat itI was able to re-do it successfully. Opposite side of car went much smoother.
8. Result? Much improved suspension, somewhat of a PITA but learned a lot, had fun.
76-914
Sounds perfectly normal for "penalties in the learning curve". On a brighter note: Now that you've done this you can call yourself an expert like the rest of us! av-943.gif
windforfun
Right on. Mission accomplished.

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
burlybryan
On any car, I always plan to replace ball joints when doing any suspension work that requires removal of the A-arm. They never survive removal. Heat is always required.
iankarr
Congrats! I call that "tuition" wink.gif. Each time you tackle something, your knowledge base and confidence grows. Yes, it's sometimes a PITA, but the satisfaction of getting it done is worth it. Plus, these days it's so hard to find anyone to work on a car, even with all the hiccups you'll probably be on the road sooner.

Quick tip - for heat, you definitely want MAPP or hotter. These old cars laugh at the sight of a plain ol propane torch.
Mikey914
Yes, this is not an easy journey. I just did the tie rod ends and ball joints. I'll go back and visit the bushings on this car later as they seemed ok for now. Figured I'd space my battles out a bit. I'll tell you the ball joints were a real pain too. I'm going to start stocking the tool for these as there is no way you will ever get the nut off without it.

Congratulations, you can now enjoy a much improved ride. I know that mine has improved. SIGNIFICANTLY. There was a little wobble at about 55. I can see why now.

Also learned another lesson. Somehow we got a brand U part for the ball joints. Didn't know this at 1st, but went to install, got it all the way in and was putting the washer on and this literally fell off in my hand.

So to all of those that are doing this. Use the LEMFÖRDER ones. Now the only ones we sell. And if any of you have had this issue please return them to me. Sometimes it's not clear who makes what when they are parts we don't make.
Superhawk996
Item #5. Right tools makes it a 30 second job.

Click to view attachment

The problem with the pipe wrench approach is that a pipe wrench compresses & binds inward on the threads the harder you pull the wrench. This effectively makes it harder to turn the castle ring. sad.gif

The right tool applies rotational torque to the non-threaded portion of the ring - loosening it witout applying compressive forces to the threads. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
A major tip I learned from old timer (me now, lol) was to install the ball joint on to the strut FIRST then install pin or bolt. By doing that you can rotate the joint to ANY position you need to put tang into control arm. Line the joint up and compress arm. Makes work easy for me. I recommend the factory tool for the job and a 1/2 in impact.
930cabman
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 30 2021, 11:43 AM) *

A major tip I learned from old timer (me now, lol) was to install the ball joint on to the strut FIRST then install pin or bolt. By doing that you can rotate the joint to ANY position you need to put tang into control arm. Line the joint up and compress arm. Makes work easy for me. I recommend the factory tool for the job and a 1/2 in impact.

Would that be called work smarter, not harder?
maf914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 30 2021, 09:09 AM) *

Item #5. Right tools makes it a 30 second job.

Superhawk996,

What kind of socket is that and where can it be purchased?

I will admit that when I rebuilt the front end on my car I used a pipe wrench for the ball joint castle ring. It came off pretty easily.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(maf914 @ Sep 30 2021, 05:42 PM) *

What kind of socket is that and where can it be purchased?

Baum P280b

There are cheaper alternatives from some guy on Samba. Maybe someone can dig that one up.

This guy
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...13968&st=20
Mikey914
We are bringing these in and will be stocking will be less than $30.

There are a few different variations we tried a cheap on that failed the one that worked wasn't much more so I actually bought both with the idea of testing. Good thing we did.

Will have this next week.
Mark
L-Jet914
It looks like Baum Tools updated their P280B tool to impact steel. I ordered one from my local Matco tool supplier Baum brand. I have the machined chrome version. I am gathering parts to do my tie rods thanks to 914Rubber for supplying the Lemforder tie rods etc. I bet my control arm bushings are due but one step at a time haha.
IPB Image
Mikey914
Don't forget these bad boys. we have the rebuild kit if you want to do them too.
https://914rubber.com/rebuilt-eye-bolt-set-1
Mine fell apart when I changed out the tie rod ends
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.