Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard Disk RAID for PC Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Sorry for the way off topic questions, but I know we have some pc gurus out there.

I have a couple questions regarding RAID on a PC.

I have an Adaptec 39160 2 channel ultra 160 controller and want to stripe 2 drives together. The problem is, I don't know how.
On my Mac, I used SoftRaid to stripe 2 drives, but now I'm on a PC and want to do it here.

What software is available?
Can I stripe across channels? (should be faster that way, right?)

And lastly, am I a total moron for not knowing how? blink.gif
SirAndy
if you run windows NT use the "Disk Administrator" in the "Administrative Tools" menu.
i don't run 2000 or xp, so i can't help you there, but it should be similar (haha, yeah right) ...

Andy
seanery
I'm using xp and don't see that as an option, hmmm.
Matt914MI
Right click on "My Computer" and goto "Manage". From there, in the "Storage" group on the left there'll be one called "Disk Manager". Then you convert the partitions from simple volumes to dynamic. After you do that, you can create a partition on a drive with unused space that adds onto your main volume. I don't remember the exact details as it was quite a while ago (I've become a dedicated linux user, with only NT4 at work). Keep in mind though, when striping drives together, if one goes, the data on both goes. You should be able to hook drives from whatever channels (or controllers) you want together. I really need to work on computers less and my 914 more. If only it wasn't so damn snowy outside, I could actually work on it. I just came upon these forums the other night and they are the best 914 ones i've seen yet. I've already learned a lot from this site. Anyways, good luck with the striping.

-Matt
73 914 1.7
seanery
Thanks for the info Matt & Welcome!

I like it here, too!
Matt914MI
Sure gives me something to do instead of work at my job.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.